Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 1956 Pontiac Club De Mer Resurected!

O K folks , I travel in strange circles of people . Ive known several famous and sometimes not so famous folks . In that time , Ive been afforded chance meetings with artisians and movie stars . Such is the case of Mister Marty Martino of Gum Spring Virginia . Marty was introduced to me by the man who once employed me as a mechanic / Wrecker driver , Daryll Edwards here in Richmond . Now Ole Daryl knew I wasn't your average run of the mill person . He knew that from conversations that he was privy to from hearing me and Marty talk .

Seems that Marty had worked in the samer circles as I in Southern California at one time or annother after a stint in service . He used to walk by Barris's shop and was leered at by the same NAZI personel that looked at me with distain as I walked to a nearby Schieb shop in the mornings . Marty and I both built models and still do . The difference was Marty builds bigger models than I ! Marty has had experence in building 1/4 scale replicias of the origional Lincon Futura which became the Batmobile . He later went to build a running copy of the Nomad a 1954 Corvette/ wagon ! I would show up in my 53 Ford and he in his Corvete, what a show . I went to visit him once , he was working on a Monkee- mobile clone !

Fast forward to 2005, Marty is now formulating building a Pontiac Club De Mer ! But , the car was destroyed in 1957.. Yes and no ...... Leave it to the unique talents of Mr Martino . Starting with two dimensional drawings and the Revell model , he proceded to actualy take a 59 Pontiac to start from . The worn out Wide Track became the Club De Mer in about a year and a half ! To see his friend's story and the Pontiac Enthusiast magazine synopis article go to this link :

http://www.stillrunnin.com/runnin-board/showthread.php?t=275

For pictures go here : pictures ar by Dallas and Lea :

c12_0606_29zclassic_art_brochurespo.jpg

075_75.jpg

70750_Interior.jpg

70750_Front_3-4.jpg

389_marty_martino.jpg

marty_susan_martino.jpg

Ed Shaver