Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Prudhomme Black Cuda "Hotwheels" F/C

Hello......I thought it would be a good idea to post this model that I built last year.........since the "Snake" is retired now.......the donor to this kit is the Prudhomme monza Revell kit......reliable resin body.....slixx decals.....wired and plumbed.....protech braided line and gauges......alclad chrome paint......h.o.k. black......scratch built tins.

DSCF6997.jpg

DSCF6998.jpg

DSCF7002.jpg

DSCF7005.jpg

DSCF7020.jpg

DSCF7021.jpg

DSCF7022.jpg

DSCF7024.jpg

DSCF7025.jpg

DSCF7027.jpg

Hey John,

This is stunning!!! One of the best FC I have seen.Are you sure you didn't take pics of the real one and are fooling us!!! Just kidding.

Hey Harry,you could use pic #2 for ROM.I actually think I can see the rear slick slightly bulging in pic2.

Thank you John for sharing this with us and please post more!!!

C'mon John! I'm still dealing with the psychological ramifications of having to contend with your other builds slammin my ego into the next county. Now ya' gotta pull out a Funny Car? My current project (K&L Wynn's 777) won't hold a candle, but thanx for the inspirey thing.

John,

Beautiful work. I've been wanting to build that car for a long time. You say you used Slixx decals, but what did you use for the Snake 3 logos on the side of the car?

Thanks,

Bob Strait

Bob......If you look under "Sheets Quarter Panels" part #7051/05QPF that is what I used......you also need the new Tom Mcewen dragster "Hot Wheels" decals.......the name Don Prudhomme was done with white rub on letters.......Thank`s John

OK, I wanna build one.............

John, please feel free to roam the archives we have here. You're libal to find some nice AA/FC's and Diggers to comment on.

Lots of talent around here when it comes to Drag Racing.

I'm not saying that because I build Drag cars almost exclusively... LOL

Take a look bud.

Nice Snake ride there.

Bob

Simply gorgeous, in every aspect. I was wondering, what did you do for the 'wheel humps'? I have a couple of cars I want to do, including this same one, but have been stumped a bit on the 'wheel humps'. Thanks.

Hello......I used a motorcycle fender........I cut an opening where the tire would come through and glued the shapped fender to the opening.....molded,bondoed and sanded and painted.thank`s John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome build! I just bought a few of the HotWheels Drag Strip Demons version of this car. I've never seen the real car before though? What's the story behind the real black Snake?

Ben, The "Black Snake" was run in only three races and all at the end of the 72 season. The three races it appeared at were the Manufacturers Meet (Nov 72), the Supernationals (Nov 72), and "The Last Race" at Lions in December of 72. This car was painted for the 1973 season with the Care-Free Gum sponsorship then was repainted in 1974 in the Army colors when his new Vega was a total flop on the strip. The car now resides in Don Garlits Museum unrestored in the Army colors from the 1974 season. This was the only Cuda Prudhomme ran that had the front fender bulges to clear the front tires due to the severe body rake.

John, a beautiful build!!!............RatPack..........

Ben, The "Black Snake" was run in only three races and all at the end of the 72 season. The three races it appeared at were the Manufacturers Meet (Nov 72), the Supernationals (Nov 72), and "The Last Race" at Lions in December of 72. This car was painted for the 1973 season with the Care-Free Gum sponsorship then was repainted in 1974 in the Army colors when his new Vega was a total flop on the strip. The car now resides in Don Garlits Museum unrestored in the Army colors from the 1974 season. This was the only Cuda Prudhomme ran that had the front fender bulges to clear the front tires due to the severe body rake.

John, a beautiful build!!!............RatPack..........

From what I understand the Black car is bare fiberglass gel-coat. The body arrived to close to the next event and they had mount it on the chassis and slap some stickers on it. I think it is one of the best looking Funnies of that era - nice and simple.

John - you did a great job on this one!

Edited by seeker589