Model Cars Magazine Forum

Movie Race Car Question

Stroker Ace Chicken Pit Special Ford Thunderbird. Was that car number 7 ??

IF so, I just found a set of Fred Caddy decals to do that car with. It has to be #7. I just don't recall a real NASCAR race car with Chicken Pit on the side of it.

For the movie they was not Fake race cars. This was covered from the Stock Car Magazine. The v6 cars from the Busch and Busch North series was invited to help do this movie. All of the Ford T-birds that was used for Burt's car was from Cale Yarborough team. The only bad part of this movie was that one of the shoots that they used showing Kenny Humphill and Big John Anderson wild flip at Daytona. Kenny would survive his and would never return to Nascar but for the great IND Big John he would be in a coma till he passed away. The car owner (I can not think of his name right now) but he was the one that gave Dale Earnhardt his ride when he ran the #77 and 19 red,white and blue car. The movie was good to watch for a night of nothing to do or nothing on.

Don't know where you got all that info but at least part of it is very wrong. Burt's T-bird was built by Will Cronkrite. It was not like the T-birds that were run in the actual races. It was a shorter wheelbase than the legal T-birds. The race versions had a few inches added to the stock wheelbase that Will's car didn't. I've got some pics of Elmo Langley's T-bird when I lettered it (the real car) before the contingency decals were applied that really shows the difference.

John Anderson (April 20, 1944-July 31, 1986) of Massillon, Ohio was an American NASCAR driver who made 32 Winston Cup starts with a career best finish of 5th. He also made 5 Busch Series starts with a best finish of 6th. He is most probably best known when he flipped over a number of times in the 1981 Gatorade 125s at Daytona. The accident was featured in films like Stroker Ace and 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story. Anderson drove the #77 car for car owner John Rebhan when the accident occurred. He would be killed in a highway accident in 1986 at Charlotte, North Carolina.

I just got through watching it again while I was working on my GTX. I know the stock footage was real, but I was talking about Stroker's T Bird. Especially when he is driving it as well as Aubry James car too. You can see the factory glass with the buttons left on that held the rear view mirrors in several shots. You can see all the factory webbing around the A post and roof area that would not have been on a real race car of any type of that era.

In some scenes it has a Moroso cable drive tach and in some there are Sun Pro tachs and they are not working or any of the gauges while the car is in motion.

That scene where Stroker blows the engine and slides to the infield grass, the stock front strut collapses as the car leaves the banking and hits the apron too.

There's a pit scene where the car comes in and it's bouncing on the front struts like crazy. Had to be a V6 car at that point. Sometimes when it leaves the pits you can hear the V6 with straight pipes on it. Other times it has a V8 when it manages to spin the rear tires.

They did not even bother to radius the wheel openings on the car to make it look right and lower it to the minimum 4" clearance they used. Looks like a 4x4 with those slicks on the car and it not lowered down properly.

They are decent fakes though, but a real race fan would catch that in a heart beat.