Model Cars Magazine Forum

Twilight Zone prices

I have been a bit ill with a cold as of late but until a browsing session yesterday on eBay did I realize just how sick I may be. I think I am hallucinating. I found a seller, damaze5, who has some out there prices on some old kits (my opinion). I have a couple of the kits he has posted and had no idea I could pay two months rent with them. All I can say is WOW.

Just remember... a product is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Exactly, who's the real fool here. The one selling or the one buying.

I sold a pretty comprehensive drag car model collection about 10 years ago. About 2000 cars ranging from 1959 to the early 90's. I was selling them all on eBay with a starting price of $9.99 each with no reserve and let the models do the selling. I'll tell you this; I was astounded at what some of the models sold for.

What I can't believe is the shipping prices some people charge. Ebay won't let me charge more than $4.00 to ship a heavy textbook that I sell on their site, but people will charge upwards of $15.00 for shipping a model car. I don't mind paying or bidding up a kit that I really want, that's what drives the market. I refuse to buy anything with outrageous shipping prices anymore.

What I can't believe is the shipping prices some people charge. Ebay won't let me charge more than $4.00 to ship a heavy textbook that I sell on their site, but people will charge upwards of $15.00 for shipping a model car. I don't mind paying or bidding up a kit that I really want, that's what drives the market. I refuse to buy anything with outrageous shipping prices anymore.

I think sometimes though people get tired of paying eBay's ever-rising fees, so extra shipping charges with lower prices is a way to keep more money for yourself. I once bought some 1:1 take-off wheels for dirt cheap with a high shipping charge...ended up paying $40/wheel for new GM wheels shipped. Sometimes there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I think sometimes though people get tired of paying eBay's ever-rising fees, so extra shipping charges with lower prices is a way to keep more money for yourself. I once bought some 1:1 take-off wheels for dirt cheap with a high shipping charge...ended up paying $40/wheel for new GM wheels shipped. Sometimes there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Good point Jeff, I didn't realize that people do that. It makes sense though. Thanks for the insight.

There was a seller by the name of Scat Pack who had an IMC Little Red Wagon in their Ebay Store for 2 years with a price of $205.00 Gee! I wonder why it didn't sell? :):D

I once saw an early '60's JoHan Olds kit with missing and broken parts listed at just a tick under $300. I don't remember if it sold or not, but whoa! Really!?