Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Gremlin Modified

Dandyfunk

Hello All, A buddy of mine brought this kit into the model shop the other day. He tried to give it to friend. But the friend said "No Way!! I won't build a AMC" So he offered it to me, I said "Why not!!" I am currently building Revell's 69 SS Nova. The build is posted under muscle cars. I am building this during drying times on the Nova. Its a quick build, out of the box, with a few add ons. Plug wires, different air cleaner. Here are some pics. DF

100_0452.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0454.jpg

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0458.jpg

Really, A Levi's Gremlin with denim interior. That is funny, never seen it. DF

quoted from wiki...

1973 Gremlin X with Levi interiorFor 1973, AMC introduced bumpers able to withstand a 5-mile-per-hour (8 km/h) impact in the front and a 2.5-mile-per-hour (4 km/h) impact in the rear, to meet new U.S. government mandated safety regulations. Gremlins also received the option of a Levi's interior trim package, which included spun nylon upholstery made to look like denim (fire safety regulations prohibited the use of real cotton denim). Details included removable map pockets, burnished copper denim rivets, and red Levi's logo tabs. One notable and widely appreciated change was the increase in legroom in the rear seats. The X package received a new tape-striping pattern that emphasized the Gremlin's rear wheel flares by kicking up over the flare itself. Gremlin sales improved again to 122,844 units, nearly 30% more than 1972. A 1973 Gremlin purchased by Consumer Reports was top-rated in a group of six subcompact models tested for the June issue. That car had relatively few sample defects and proved reliable over a long-term test.

Seems that Linberg made a Gremlin kit. (Ebay) However the post says 1/20th scale?? DF

Yep, and it's horrible. The entire kit consists of about twenty pieces and appears to be very Palmer-like (it may in fact be an old Palmer kit), which means stay away! :rolleyes:

AMC offered the Levi's denim interior in some Jeep CJs, too, and IIRC, there's a Gremiln with the Levi's denim interior in the movie Car Wash.

Used to know a guy who had a Gremlin X - think it was a 71 (this was back about 1977). Had a 401 and a 4 speed, it made ALOT of people stop laughing at them back then. Fun, fast ride. They were definitely no slouch with a 304 either.

Edited by Greg D

Hot Wheels had a car similar to this, and it is to this day one of my favorites.

One of the guys who was stationed in the Helo squadron next to me had a Gremlin X that he stuffed a 390/4spd down into........that car was ridiculously fast. It was Root Beer Brown, and he went and had some bright Yellow vinyl 'Wolverine' work boot logos made and stuck them on the rear quarters. He called it his 'Work Oxford from Hell!'.

Edited by whale392