Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spectator killed at Pheonix NHRA event

ESPN is reporting that a female spectator was killed at Firebird Raceway in Pheonix during the first round of Top-Fuel eliminations today. Apparently when Antron Brown crashed, one of his rear tires flew into the crowd. Initial reports from other sites say that the woman was walking behind the grandstands when she was stuck. She may have been pushing someone else in a wheel chair, and never saw the tire coming. One site says she was killed instantly, while another report says she was delcared dead at the hospital. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. This is truly a sad day in American motorsports.

I agree, it's a sad day; I don't pray very often, but today my prayers go out to her and her loved ones....also to those who did whatever they could to help.

One site says she was killed instantly, while another report says she was delcared dead at the hospital.

Both accounts may be right. She may have been killed instantly, but the responding paramedics may not have been allowed to make the declaration; I'm sure they did everything they could en route to the hospital

The wheel came off first causing the crash, and then said wheel continued on, killing the woman.

So it looks like it was some kind of wheel mounting failure or was improperly attached.

I agree both could be correct. She was probably killed instantly but the official declaration came at the hospital.

They'll never make that declaration at the track! It will always be "en route" or "at the hospital" (and there's a reason for it...............and no I ain't gonna tell either!) But yes it is a sad day indeed.

Paul

Yea, I remember when Scott Kalitta was killed at E-town. I have a buddy who was working on the tracks fire crew that day, and he had said something about that sort of thing as well. I just cant now remember what it was.

Yea, I remember when Scott Kalitta was killed at E-town. I have a buddy who was working on the tracks fire crew that day, and he had said something about that sort of thing as well. I just cant now remember what it was.

AT FIRST, NHRA said a woman from a nastalgic funny car team was hit by flying debrie,,then all of a sudden it was an unknown woman,,yes another sad day in my favorite sport,,but NHRA reported as of monday the day of the final round,there are companies right now devloping a system to hold the rim on the car,if the lugs ever get sheared off again,,,,sad thing that these thing dont get thought of before some one gets hurt or killed,,darrell russel,,eric medlen,,,scott kalettta,ETC

sad thing that these thing dont get thought of before some one gets hurt or killed,,darrell russel,,eric medlen,,,scott kalettta,ETC

Thats quite a tall statement...seeing as how it is a first...only safe way to race is not to race...I'd rather die at a race than on the bathroom floor!

Thats quite a tall statement...seeing as how it is a first...only safe way to race is not to race...I'd rather die at a race than on the bathroom floor!

However, statistically, that exactly where you are likeliest to die: the bathroom.

It's not that tall of an order. The problem with NHRA and Nascar is they take a more reactive approach to safety. They wait for it to happen and then try to find a fix, unlike F1 which takes a more more proactive approach. There hasn't been a F1 death since Ayrton Senna da Silva almost two decades ago.

Edited by CAL

Not to say that F1 doesn't take saftey seriously because they clearly do. However, that's not exactly a fair comparison...look how small the grid is for F1, and the small number of races, and total laps, annually...you'd expect less of everything, including crashes overall, injuries, and fatalities just from that.

Henry Surtees died just last year in Formula 2...again, FIA racing is very safe overall, but you can't look only at F1 and compare it to all of NASCAR or NHRA racing. They're just on different scales in terms of participants and events.

I was just looking at the top level classes, because there were many lower level fatilities 52 last year alone in lower rank car related motor sports accidents, not counting motorcycles, boats, and truck events.

NASCAR WCC

NHRA WC

CART

IRL

has had significantly more fatalities than F1 at there top level world champ events.

I am not saying that NASCAR or NHRA don't take it seriously, they are just more reactive than proactive. We ran a TAFC where I used to work and every year the safety revisions were becasue of somebody getting injured or killed, there was never a safety revision because NHRA saw a potential problem and stopped it before someone was injured or killed. And a lot of times "that's racing" attitude prevailed and no safety revision were made even when there clearly should have been.

F1 is always thinking ahead which proably saved Massa's live: requiring a newly instated reinforced Kevlar helmet. The point being Massa wasn't killed and then FIA though well we better do something about that.

D Earnhardt's accident was another perfect example of passive safety measures.

As a huge NASCAR fan I think I have to agree. Dale's death resulted in the COT. It took Dale Jarrett being a sitting duck to stop racing back to the yellow. I thought the safer wall was pro-active but after the death of Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin Jr. at the same track in the same year I think I have to change my thinking on that subject.

Again, I'm not arguing the relative merits of the saftey, but to say merely "there are more/less fatalities" is a flawed jumping-off point to compare what each series is doing in terms of safety.

The longest race in F1 is under 200 miles, they have what...17 races or so, and there are only 20 cars on each grid. So in any given season the total miles of racing in F1 is a fraction of what NASCAR chalks up. Each NASCAR season is several seasons' worth of racing in F1.

There are so many fewer cars, racing so many fewer miles per year...it's simple math that there should be less serious incidents per year in F1. Given that they're on road courses, when there are accidents they're usually one- or two-car affairs, as well. So there is almost no chance of a 10 or 20-car crash, something that happens in NASCAR.

Just because of that, you would have to expect fewer fatalities and injuries. I'm not saying F1 doesn't do a lot of things well, but just looking at death rates isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. And I'm not saying that NASCAR/NHRA or anyone else is above criticism. It's just that you can't look at one raw statistic...fatalities...and draw a conclusion.

Because you can turn that around and cite a statistic about the death rate per accident. Since there are 12 crashes a race (or whatever) in NASCAR the death rate divided by the raw number of crashes would make F1 look much more dangerous on a severe-injury-per-crash basis. Again, this would be unfair just because NASCAR generates huge numbers of wrecked cars every week which dilutes the number of them resulting in serious injury.

Not really, when divide zero by anything it's zero so no matter what number you come up with for NASCAR you will never generate a statistically better number than F1 over the last 18 years.

But I didn't simply cited fatalities.

I gave other examples

1. Personal experience for what it's worth.

2. D. Earnardt

And another poster came up with another example.

F1 has been tethering their wheels for 18 years.

I don't know even if NASCAR has to pass a crash test? F1 does and it's quite strict.

Actually miles are 1/2 and another 1/2 the cars so say a 1/4 and six deaths 1.5 : 0.

So NASCAR has 1 1/2 times more deaths per miles raced or so.

about 13000 for NASCAR and 5800 for F1, But NHRA is fractional (cars and miles) to that of even F1 which has had 6 or 7 top level death since Ayrton Senna's death, which is when they really stepped up safety. Zero deaths to drivers, crew or spectators is a pretty strong stat for nearly a 2 decade span.

That 52 last year included specators, and crew as well as drivers. I was surprised to see how many specators were killed. It is a high percent, and most were at Dakar and WRC.

That is what killed Group B sedans: driver/spectator deaths.

Freddy Arucutipa Torres

Death date: 09.Jan.2009

Role: by-passer

Circuit: Dakar Rally

Roberto de la Cruz Vera Hernández

Death date: 09.Jan.2009

Role: by-passer

Circuit: Dakar Rally

Sebastian Hizey

Death date: 17.Jan.2009

Role: spectator

Circuit: entry pending

George Eisenhart

Death date: 24.Jan.2009

Role: track official

Circuit: entry pending

unknown

Death date: 25.Jan.2009

Circuit: Orenburg

Stéphane Lucchese

Death date: 08.Mar.2009

Circuit: Rallye de Hannut

Jean-Michel Pietri

Death date: 26.Mar.2009

Role: driver

Circuit: Ronde de la Giraglia

unknown

Death date: 28.Mar.2009

Circuit: Valaská Rally

unknown

unknown

Laurent Licour

Death date: 29.Mar.2009

Circuit: Rallye du Pays de Caux

Michael Todd Bishop

Death date: 12.Apr.2009

Circuit: St. Catharines

Jody Monier

Death date: 26.Apr.2009

Circuit: Quintal

Riyaz Kurji

Death date: 02.May.2009

Circuit: Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally

Gerry Meijerhof

Death date: 21.May.2009

Circuit: Ter Apel (Circuit De Polderputten)

Lucian Girbacea

Death date: 23.May.2009

Circuit: Raliul Iasului

Chad McDaniel

Death date: 30.May.2009

Circuit: Knoxville Raceway (Iowa)

John Schulz

Circuit: Red River Valley Speedway

Karel Å vec

Circuit: Rallye Posázaví

Juan José Juárez

Death date: 31.May.2009

Role: marshal

Circuit: Unión de Los Pueblos

Tamás B.

Death date: 06.Jun.2009

Role: photographer

Circuit: Ba-La Rallye

Ikey Dorr

Circuit: Speedway 95

Karien Vynckier

Role: co-driver

Circuit: 12 Heures de Wervik

Erwin Kreiseder

Death date: 07.Jun.2009

Circuit: unknown (Austria)

unknown

Death date: 13.Jun.2009

Circuit: Rallye Ain-Jura

Carlos Pardo

Death date: 14.Jun.2009

Circuit: Puebla (Autodromo Miguel E. Abed)

Tom Thrash

Death date: 20.Jun.2009

Circuit: Road America

Dennis Frank

Death date: 20.Jun.2009

Role: mechanic (car)

Circuit: Saint Francois County Raceway

Cilka Plevel

Death date: 27.Jun.2009

Role: photographer

Circuit: Blagomix Racing Park (Logatec)

Rudy Ramos

Death date: 04.Jul.2009

Circuit: Kauai Raceway Park

Steve Bowers Sr.

Death date: 04.Jul.2009

Circuit: Thunderhill Speedway (IA)

Bill Grant

Death date: 12.Jul.2009

Circuit: Road America

Charlie Webster

Death date: 15.Jul.2009

Circuit: Oxford Plains Speedway

Asko ?

Death date: 18.Jul.2009

Circuit: Lõuna Eesti Ralli

Flavio Guglielmini

Death date: 19.Jul.2009

Circuit: Rally Bulgaria

Henry Surtees

Death date: 19.Jul.2009

Circuit: Brands Hatch

Cindy Sevestre

Death date: 23.Jul.2009

Circuit: Rallye du Pays de Caux

Des Bisset

Death date: 25.Jul.2009

Circuit: Killarney

John Phillips

Death date: 02.Aug.2009

Circuit: Harry Flatters Rally

Ronnie Marcum

Death date: 08.Aug.2009

Circuit: California Speedway

Thomas Knopper

Death date: 09.Aug.2009

Circuit: Liedolsheim

Alan Burgess

Death date: 24.Aug.2009

Circuit: Daytona International Speedway

Elise ?

Death date: 12.Sep.2009

Circuit: Rally Larvik

Sabrina Deschl

Death date: 20.Sep.2009

Circuit: St. Agatha

Bianca Deschl

Death date: 20.Sep.2009

Circuit: St. Agatha

Rich Shafer

Death date: 03.Oct.2009

Circuit: Crow Mountain Hill Climb

Abraham Ortega

Death date: 04.Oct.2009

Circuit: Camiños del Inca

unknown

Death date: 09.Oct.2009

Role: mechanic (car)

Circuit: Rallye des Pharaons

Sebastiano Scamporlino

Death date: 25.Oct.2009

Circuit: Trofeo Maremma

Ester Márquez Levicán

Death date: 31.Oct.2009

Circuit: Tres Horas de Puerto Natales

Gary Andrew

Death date: 19.Nov.2009

Circuit: Classic Adelaide Rally

David Carra

Death date: 19.Nov.2009

Circuit: Classic Adelaide Rally

Enrique Franco

Death date: 29.Nov.2009

Circuit: Gran Premio Nacional (Bolivia)

Robson Walther

Death date: 27.Dec.2009

Circuit: Tarumã

Edited by CAL

that is the beauty of stats you can make them say whatever you want them too. ;)

Well they tried to make a criminal case out of Senna's death, and brought manslaughter charges agianst several people and there has been several legal trials... I am not sure it still hasn't been all resolved.

All I am saying is F1 has done an outstanding job with safety, yes it came at the cost of Senna, but they do not play the waiting game any longer.

The fatalities aside, I am not so sure NASCAR and NHRA, and CART one of the worst offenders were nearly as proactive in safety as F1. I am sure I could walk around a NASCAR and pick out a dozen if not more things that could be improved with reguards to safety, not withstanding the 3400# Nascar tank vs. 1334# F1 fueled with driver.

F1 is way ahead of me in safety innovations.

Just my two cents,but no one could have seen this accident coming. It was a freak accident that took an innocent woman's life. It's very easy after something like this happens to say should of,would of,could of. Nothing like this has happened before,so there's no precedent to go by. I guarantee that the NHRA will do something about this quickly. The NHRA isn't to blame,but I'm sure they will make things better to improve the safety of the spectators. No other motorsports compares to drag racing,not NASCAR,F1 or WRC or anything else. Nothing else has the horsepower,acceleration or speed that drag racing does. You can't compare safety records from one to the other,it just doesn't compare.

That is not true exactly. Even back when I was involved there was a number of rule changes requarding wheels, studs and nuts for exactly this reason.

In the 1970s the 917/30 was the most powerful car in the world and still holds some world records.

In the Turbo Era an F1 in qualifying trim a 1L could produce upto 1685hp or 21 hp per CID, vs even a modern day TF which is what 10 maybe 15 HP per CID.

A 1978 934 was 2500# 850hp and did 8.9 1/4 street legal race car and did the 24hrs of LeMans

Cal, I definitely respect your opinion, and maybe I'm missing your point, but there is no way you can compare those horsepower numbers with whats being produced by a Nitro car. 800, 900, even 1500 horse power is not even in the ballpark. Those Top Fuel engines are producing something like 5, 6, maybe 7000 horse power. (if the reports are to be believed) that has got to be an ungodly amount of stress on parts. Has anybody said whether or not Antron had any tire shake bafore the accident? That could have been a contributing factor to the failure as well. I mean this was only the second race of the season and with the restrictions on testing, is there any way these "new" parts could have been fatigued already?

The worst part of the real crash here locally is there was rumor that I do not know if it's true or not. I heard the woman (might/was/ :P / ) a part of the vintage teams making a comeback at the track. Just speculation that I heard and we had a couple big name older cars here so I don't know. Never heard more about it. The local News has failed to produce interviews with team and or family members from the woman that passed. I figured by now I would.

Cal, I definitely respect your opinion, and maybe I'm missing your point, but there is no way you can compare those horsepower numbers with whats being produced by a Nitro car. 800, 900, even 1500 horse power is not even in the ballpark. Those Top Fuel engines are producing something like 5, 6, maybe 7000 horse power. (if the reports are to be believed) that has got to be an ungodly amount of stress on parts. Has anybody said whether or not Antron had any tire shake bafore the accident? That could have been a contributing factor to the failure as well. I mean this was only the second race of the season and with the restrictions on testing, is there any way these "new" parts could have been fatigued already?

I saw the video, didn't look exactly like tire shake, it was all over the place though and kept jerking to that side. They are speculating because of the recent rains the water table raised to just below the track surface and possibly caused a distrubance in the track, maybe that caused it, but it sure looked like a serious mechancial failure.

Antron said it felt strange and he let up and hit it again and felt strange then the wheel came off. But even he didn't come out and say it shook the tires off the car.

It looks like larry the lawyer has done a real good job pulling all related materials off the internet though. We may never know the truth, like Ayrton Senna, the 20 seconds of proof was distroyed.