Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Q??

dwc43

Where can I find a transparent blue and transparent red to paint some metal AN fittings to make them look like the real thing? I'm doing an old school rail and I need to paint these so I can get my oil and fuel lines ran so I can mount the engine in the chassis.

361800106.gif

Edited by dwc43

You can get bottles of clear red and clear blue from Tamiya and Model Master... maybe other brands, too.

Check out the LHS, the should have them. Or shop online...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/27799/n/Tamiya-X27-Clear-Red-Acrylic-Paint-Mini-1-3oz?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds

You can get bottles of clear red and clear blue from Tamiya and Model Master... maybe other brands, too.

Check out the LHS, the should have them. Or shop online...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/27799/n/Tamiya-X27-Clear-Red-Acrylic-Paint-Mini-1-3oz?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds

As Harry said.... I use nothing but the Tamiya Clear Red # x-27 and Clear Blue # x-23 for my A/N fittings.

I have some pens, but I don't think they are sharpies. I'll have to test them out. I'll was hoping for an online link. I should have asked for that, huh? My LHS does not have any many selections as you would hope for.

Hobby Town is pretty helpful though. Sometimes I need help with certain colors. I am partially color blind and it might not look right to me. The amount of lighting makes a difference in how I see things too. Like a dark maroon and a really dark brown it's hard for me to tell the diff in dim light. Dark blues and greens sometimes look black in dim light and at a distance. That's bad when you are trying to make models and replicate all the proper colors of things.

Thanks for the ideas.

Hello??? I gave you an online link!

And if you don't like that one, do a google search for "Tamiya clear red" and you'll find many others.

I'm sorry that was my fault. I thought that was in your sig line and did not even click on it. How embarrassing.

I'm sorry that was my fault. I thought that was in your sig line and did not even click on it. How embarrassing.

Don't worry about it, honest mistake.

Any hobby shop should have the paints you're looking for, but like I said, they're available from tons of places online.

Don't worry about it, honest mistake.

Any hobby shop should have the paints you're looking for, but like I said, they're available from tons of places online.

I'll check the lhs, but like I said, they selection is not as big as you think. I need to see if they have any lhs in Nashville. They may have a bigger selection.

I also noticed Hobby Towns inventory of model kits is really low now. I'm sure they must be hurting due to the economy. Mikes place is in a high rent mall strip type mall. Picture this, a row of stores a parking lot and then another row of stores on the other side of the lot. That arrangement might be common elsewhere, but this is the first one I have seen like this. And they are all high end stores.

I did check that link and I finally found that clear blue that Mooneyzs mentioned to. I'll have to try it. Thanks again to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I finally got my paints and painted up 8 of the AN fittings. I might need a couple more, I'll wait till I get to running my lines to make sure. Here's a pic from the thread titled old school rail that I am using the AN fittings on.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28138&st=0

00411.jpg

Edited by dwc43

Duplicolor has transparent metal colors in large aerosol cans for about $7. I've used them on ProTech fittings with the recommendation of Charlie. You can mount them on safety wire or put them on the end of a thinned down toothpick. Spray in light coats, it works well. They have red,blue and several other colors. The large cans will do alot of fittings.

Edited by 58 Impala