Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micro Machine shop

Played around with the mill tonight. So far I am impressed. It's done everything I wanted, didn't stall, bogg down, or stop, no chatter, and made a very clean cut and I am just using a non-square non-level cheap vise till I get a machinist vise.

Even at that I was to cut square and only had a .003 runout over 2 inches.

I haven't been in a machine shop in over 10 years but it's all kind of coming back to me know. I think I will be able to do some pretty trick stuff with it, so I am pretty happy so far. The machine is pretty capable. I just need more stuff. Edge finders, Rotary Table, more tooling, parallel set.

I hope the lathe turns out to be as pleasent to work with.

what kind of things will you be making?

Well my first order of business is a couple servo mounts for my RS4-3. A simple basic part to get aquainted with the machine.

Some of the other things on my list are

1/5 scale Wildcat landing gear.

Some parts for a super detailed 1/35 Panther tank.

Eleanor wheels

A&N fittings

I am sure it's opened the door to all kinds of other things.

Check out ENCO.COM for a lot of your tooling needs. They have some real good sales and you can get "tooled" up for not a lot of money.

Mark S.

I will check them out. I have been getting stuff from the Littlemachineshop.com

It hasn't been terrible expensive. I got a set of six end mills for $20.

Eventually I will probably want to find metric stuff.

• 3 months later...

keep us posted :rolleyes: it's interesting to read the reviews and advice of those who have these machines already. i don't have either one but will be investing in at least a lathe in the future. i really want to be able to make alot of my own parts instead of going to the aftermarket for them as well as make custom parts of my own that you can't find aftermarket. i don't want to go into business or sell my stuff, i just want to be able to make my own pieces when i want or need to.

i'm very interested too in seeing someone step up and do some tutorials on making some basic items, like wheel sleeves, gas, radiator and oil caps, things like that. i'm sure there would be an interest in seeing how to make nitrous bottles and fire extinguishers too.

Dave

Me too! I just bought a lathe and have played with it for a while but am having problems figuring out how to use certain bits and load the bits right. A tutorial would be awesome.