Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Dodge Charger

Deckerz

I bought this kit a few weeks ago and i think now is a good time to start it.

Its the fast and furious model kit but its pretty much the dukes of hazard kit with alot of extra parts alot of which don't fit.

The roll cage doesn't fit but that ok because i make my own from scratch every time, the engine doesn't fit but im replacing anyway, the stock hood won't sit flush and its slightly warped, the fast and furious front bumper wont sit flush and the rear bumper just plain wont fit. The body itself is probaly the best amt body iv had, few moulding lines here and there but nothing too bad and i think the best quality part in the kit is the windows lol, clear and shiny id say they were perfect.

Picture076.jpg

iv painted the grill but i might cut it out along with the middle section and do the realistic grill mod as seen on BMC, you can see the hood isn't sitting flush on this pic.

Iv painted the body in my own shade of green i call it Decs British Racing Green, this is i think the 2nd or 3rd coat wet sanded.

Picture095.jpg

I cut the stock exhaust kit off the rear axle because after i finished cutting the excess off there was hardly and exhaust left so its going to be a metal one.

Picture096.jpg

I need to know how to get rid of these moulding spots, the ones on the chassis will be easy (dremmel) but the ones one the interior i don't know, i guess i could just put the flocking on the floor now but i dont know if it will show.

Picture097.jpg

Picture098.jpg

I agree with all you've said. This model is well... **** B) I am a Big Charger fan and buy every one I come across but this one B) the re-issue or slightly changed re-issue of the MPC General Lee is just as bad.

I've found that the best way too fix these is get pretty much all your parts from the Revelle '68 or '69 and go from there. I wish Revelle would bring out a '70 with all the correct options.. i.e. door scopes, grill, ect.

And another complaint! Why can't they put in the correct marker lights for the '68 instead of decals? The finaly removed the molding for the '69. Is it that much of a stretch to put the round ones in?

As too the interior mold marks? I just cut out the whole section and dig through the parts box to find a suitable replacement to graft in. :)

this one seems to be one of the "better" ones, all the stock bumpers fit, its just the F&F ones but with a little work i could make them fit if i wanted to use them.

hmm...why didn't i think of that

iv got some styrene so il cut out the floor and while im at it the front seat mounts as im replacing with buckets and maybe the rear seats, glue the styrene in place add a little putyy then paint anf flock.

Use the hood from the Revell 68/69 Charger,you will have to mod it to fit,but it looks alot better then a 70 style hood on a 69,and the 70 front bumper in that kit is a joke,If your relly ambitious about it,Cut out the character lines out of the front doors from a junker revell 68/69 and blend them into the F&F body,That can be a nice 69,IF you take the time to make corrections in it,Throw that hood away,for 2 reasons,1 it's warped,and finally it's not correct for the 69,If you really want to have a 70,I would get the kit from Modelhaus,it comes with everything including chromed bumpers and the correct interior!Alittle tip for you if you have the grill and bumper unit from the Revell 69 Cut out the grills and use those as your inserts,They look much better....................Steve Ketterer

The blower hood isn't warped so i could just cut a piece out to fit the blower hole, glue it in, body filler to fill in the gap, then i will have a smooth hood instead of having to spend more money.

Also the paint hasn't turned out good so iv taken what i can off and im going to re spray with tamiya titanium silver with a orange clear coat.

• 5 weeks later...

Stripped paint ready for primer then semi gloss or flat black, i can't decide.

Moulding the F&F grill with the body then im painting it like the new fast and furious charger, black front grill with silver mesh.

The mesh looks too big in th pic but once its bent to the curveture of the grill it inserts nicely onto the inside lip.

Picture124.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture127.jpg

What mesh is that, and where did you get it? It looks just right for a Jaguar I have.

It just some mesh from a automotive store, luckily i don't have to travel far at all, the shop is just round the corner from me.

IF it don't fit.

Customize it :(

I like the front end treatment.

Wish I had one now to do that do but i'll just watch your build :lol:

Lol thanks man, its not a bad kit at all if you like customising because it requires abit of work.

Im using a 426 hemi in this car, i just need to get the tranny for it but i don't know what its from :/

Also im going to be using the chassis from a revell 69 dodge superbee, it will need abit of trimming and cutting but it will make the build unique.

Thats the hemi in my avatar, its been repainted orange though, if anybody could help me out with a tranny for this monster or even tell me what kit the engine is from that would be great.

All for now....

Sorry for the bad quality but my cameras running low on power.

putty moulding finished ready for stage 2....body filler.

i always use body filler after for all the little gaps i miss.

Picture129.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture131.jpg

More updates tomorrow, i should have a few supplies come in the morning for this and other builds.

Stay tuned....