Model Cars Magazine Forum

This made me laugh

Guest promodmerc

This kind of brings to mind the fact that some really intelligent people can't program a VCR. Two possibilities exist if a PhD. in Engineering tries to do a model. 1) He won't understand the instruction, or 2)He'll try to "improve" the kit, and really screw it up.

Gary

Actually I think it is sad. I learned about model cars in the very beginning by watching my Dad at the kitchen table. Still remember the feeling of seeing AMT '56 Ford pickup come together complete with welding tanks in the bed!

I taught all 3 of my kids how to build and my son still has many of his built models in little Johan or AMT plastic display cases. For my kids, however, the modeling bug just didn't germinate.

But, that said... if you replaced the word "model cars" with "Install my Operating System", well then that would be funny! :lol:

Guest promodmerc

Actually I think it is sad. I learned about model cars in the very beginning by watching my Dad at the kitchen table. Still remember the feeling of seeing AMT '56 Ford pickup come together complete with welding tanks in the bed!

I taught all 3 of my kids how to build and my son still has many of his built models in little Johan or AMT plastic display cases. For my kids, however, the modeling bug just didn't germinate.

But, that said... if you replaced the word "model cars" with "Install my Operating System", well then that would be funny! :lol:

I remember my dad working on a dragster when I was 3 or 4. I don't remember much but I do remember sitting with him at a card table.

I've tried to get our nephews interested a couple of years ago at Christmas as I bought them each an unassembled diecast but it didn't work. They wanted spy equipment last year :lol: and the wife made me oblige (they are her brothers kids). I was going to buy them some die cast kits again.

I remember my dad working on a dragster when I was 3 or 4. I don't remember much but I do remember sitting with him at a card table.

I've tried to get our nephews interested a couple of years ago at Christmas as I bought them each an unassembled diecast but it didn't work. They wanted spy equipment last year ;) and the wife made me oblige (they are her brothers kids). I was going to buy them some die cast kits again.

ive been slowly getting my 12 year old nephew into the hobby

so far he has build a snap kit corvette, a snap kit camaro, a 1/35 snap kit saleen and a "easy builder cop out duster which is by no means an easy builder

at the moment he has a firebird (revell stage 2 kit) on the bench and i bought us a pair of matching 71 pro street superbees for when that one is done

(not only do i want him to like building models, im also trying to ease his preference to mopars)

What's worse is working behind a RC Parts counter and having people that are more willing to pay to $30hr to have a $5 part installed than trying to do it them selves or let their kids do it for them selves :D

The only engineer you can trust is the one in the locomotive!!!

HAHAHA, Nice and one of the more truthful things I've read!

My Dad could do anything....he was an acomplished artist and photographer. He could build anything from anything and he loved playing with cars (models, Motorific, slots, Aurora) and trains. (Lionel) What ever my Dad took an intrest in...it was all or nothing, and I was always by his side, passing him a paint brush or glue etc. My Dad was more of a replica stock sort of guy and displayed his work proudly. One day he noticed that his collection was thinning outblink.gif hmmmm. Well I was busted....he found the beautiful built models he put so much love and work into capturing the essence of what a replica stock build should be but wait, whats this....mag wheels, side pipes, raised suspension, wide tires....and OMG....flamesblink.gif I thought my Dad was (this was the 60's now) was gonna whip my...you know what...but to my surprise my Dad said something to me I will never forget.....he said...."you little *******", then he laughed and said "have at it son"....I loved my Dad