Model Cars Magazine Forum

A beautiful model of a BMW R 90 S motorcycle, from a Tamiya kit at 1/6 scale standing on a high shelf, came plummeting down during the earthquake...

This is what I could find after hours of crawling under desks on the floor...

P3190001.jpg

http://P3190002.jpg

This model was assembled by a son of mine when he was 13, luckily he used styrene cement which as we all know doesn't work very well, so more than destroying or breaking parts, it just disassembled....

After looking arround in the Web, I discovered this is a long time discontinued model, whose prices have been skyrocketing on Ebay, besides it's a very detailed kit, with lots of very well molded parts and with lots of potential for superdetailing....

So I decided to restore it using a Pocherlike approach....why not?....better than crying over the bits & pieces!....

I went searching for prototype data and found a lot of it....

Here's the prototype cycle...

bmwr90s.jpg

And here's a page of the kits manual...

10012095et.jpg

We begin the restoration then.....first thing was to completely dissasemble the wreckage...trying to break as little parts as possible....

The first goal was to have the frame assembled correctly, squared, thoroughly sanded and given many coats of acrylic automotive primer....all holes were redrilled and tapped where needed...

Some images of the frame, which is yet to be sanded again...priming is essential for detecting surface flaws, besides having a good base for the final color coats...

P3190003.jpg

P3190004.jpg

P3190006.jpg

P3190007.jpg

I'm having a real ball with this affair....thanks for looking....

Mario

Very nice. A local BMW dealer has one on display, and one for sale. The one on display is that "fadeaway" orange color, and the one for sale is here:

http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/950870.html

Looking forward to this build. Old BMW's fascinate me; I had a 1983 R80ST not too long ago, and I still go to that dealer occasionally. They have a pretty awesome museum there, and do a lot of restorations. Unfortunately, they don't have the museum on the website. I now ride a 2007 Honda Gold Wing.

So where you headed Mario? The "fade-away orange" or the black fade. I've always favored the the black fade version myself.

Hey Don!............I'm far away from the painting stage yet....too busy drilling & tapping hundreds of holes for the scale hardware.... however I've been thinking on colors myself...difficult choice....

I personally think the orange version is a little far away from serious for this wonderful piece of machinery....I agree with you in the dark brown... nevertheless I'm thinking in other liveries.... :D

What's up buddy?....

Cheers

Mario

Edited by mario lucchini

We continue our restoration working on some elements of the engine block...

A lot of effort was made to insure the engine's block assembly by means of scale hardware, avoiding the use of glue as much as possible...this of course allows the dissasembly of elements any time, great help for fixing details and painting of separate parts...

Some images of the bare engine block and cylinders mounted on the frame....

The engine has been attached to the frame by means of specially made 2 mm studs, with nickled hex nuts, for which the holes in the engine block were lined with brass tube, drilled and tapped 2 mm...

P3270061.jpg

P3270062.jpg

Back view of the engine showing the clutch and kickstarter cover which has been already treated with polished aluminum paint (I'm using Marson's chrome spray for this effect)

P3270063.jpg

Here you can see the 2 mm studs holding the engine to the frame...the 2 front studs are short, the 2 rear studs are longer since they hold not only the engine but also the side pedals and the silencer brackets...

http://P3270065.jpg

A walk arround of the engine out of the frame...

P3270066.jpg

P3270067.jpg

P3270068.jpg

P3270069.jpg

The front cover held in place with scale hardware, including scale Allen bolts just as it is in the prototype...

P3270070.jpg

The clutch and kickstarter cover in place with rectified and polished scale hardware...

P3270071.jpg

No more place for pics....to be continued :P:blink:

Mario

The 16 ventilation holes made on the block's rear upper section as in the prototype, including micro wire mesh ...

P3270072.jpg

The clutch & kickstarter cover out, showing the hardware and the special reinforcements applied to the block to allow drilling & tapping to receive the hardware...

P3270073.jpg

P3270074.jpg

The left cylinder being unscrewed from its position on the block...

P3270075.jpg

Both cylinders out...1.5 mm round head brass screws were used here, attached to special reinforcements on the block which were tapped accordingly...these screws are way out of scale, but not to worry, they will never be seen once the model is assembled...

P3270076.jpg

The reinforcements before mentioned to receive the cylinders...

P3270078.jpg

P3270082.jpg

The front cover out with its hardware...

P3270087.jpg

The reinforcements made on the central block to receive the intermediate cover...

P3270089.jpg

The intermediate cover with its attaching non-scale hardware, used for the same reasons as above....

P3270090.jpg

By the way, all the parts shown have at this stage, received at least 3 coats of primer with sanding in between....

Still having a ball....thanks for looking.

Mario