Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Camaro

Kaleb

I do know that it is possible, so im going for it.

Several monthes ago Hot Rod(I think) magazine published an article on paint rolling a car.

So heres the first part, there will be another coat then wet sanded and adding layer until I get the smoothness

DSCI0708.jpg

DSCI0709.jpg

Edited by Kaleb

After abandoning brush-painted bodies decades ago, I have gone back to it in a small way; I found an acrylic paint that replicates the heavy-flake gelcoat on my 1:1 dune buggy, and brushing it is the only way to apply it:

DSCN9138_edited-vi.jpg

I'm also using it on a RM chopper I'm doing for my son, but I have no pics hosted of that one yet

Edited by VW Dave

So heres the first part, there will be another coat then wet sanded and adding layer until I get the smoothness

I just read this part again, and I'd think twice about wet sanding it.....if the label on the paint bottle says anything like 'water cleanup' or 'water-based,' wet sanding might break the paint down like stripper.

When doing an early test of the metalflake acrylic, I used a clear acrylic as the top coat - it's called 'Triple Thick' - I tried to wet sand it to get it smooth, and it started coming off in gooey sheets. I now lay down a couple coats of Tamiya TS-13 spray after the clear acrylic, and the shine is great even without any sanding. brush your paint out on a spare body or a plastic spoon, and after it's plenty dry(like overnight) try a couple different clear topcoats and see what gives the best results.

I will have to see if its water based or not. It seems to have more silver at the bottom since I mixed the two so im hoping that brings it out and finish with a silver fade...I ran across the fade by accident last night.

Who said you cant roll paint on a car?

DSC03229.jpg

DSC03231.jpg

Sure it aint no show car but, cant beat it for 15bucks. I actually still have 2 coats of paint left to put on it, and buff the paint.

I don't know whether to call it a "Firemaro" or a "Cambird", but I do know it's an F-Body with an IDENTITY CRISIS!!! :)

Edited by highway

Guest Mustang3.8

Who said you cant roll paint on a car?

DSC03229.jpg

DSC03231.jpg

Sure it aint no show car but, cant beat it for 15bucks. I actually still have 2 coats of paint left to put on it, and buff the paint.

Nice job. What kind of paint did you use, and how did you apply it? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Havent updated in awhile, been too busy. I did figure out what I wanted to do It will be the same color but a shade darker and im going to get a fine tip brush and freehand silver flames.

Other than that the paint is coming out supprisingly smooth.