Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was involved in an auto accident

Well Saturday I was heading out to a buddy froms works house I was pulling out and got slammed by a Hyndai Sonnata doing about 50+. I was fortunate they hit me in front of the wheels instead of behind them. It relocated the left frame rail to the right over `8 inches shrunk the cent of the k member over an inch. The motor was moved 2 inches to right as well destrroying all the mounts. I have started disassembling the blazer so I can put my other truck together over the next few weeks. I am fortunate to have another body to transplant the drive train into but gonna take a few weeks as Im recovering from the accident and the ensuing motor crushing I suffered on Monday. I am sore and bruised all over but otherwise ok. I have not missed an hour of work yet either and that is good. Pics of the damage and the truck thats going together. Ill be taking a break from the bench until I get something going to drive.

26308_116506935031271_100000158944922_292054_4891302_n.jpg

26308_116482448367053_100000158944922_291695_820315_n.jpg

101_5604.jpg

Ah man that sucks big time! Glad to hear though that your ok. I love s-series trucks and to see a first gen like that hurts!! :lol:

The blue convetable is the one your putting the engine in right?

You ever plan on rebuilding the wrecked one? Just don't crush it!! If it's fixable.

Btw are you part of the s10 forum?

Glad you were able to walk away from it anly bruised and sore

It sucks that your truck was destroyed but good you have a

spare one to fix so you have something to drive at least

I know what it is like to be with out something to drive

my car has been broke down for a year.

Glad you will be able to get back to models soon it will

help when you are down I know it helped me when I

lost my dad to be able to sit down and work on a model

and forget everything else.

Guest Mustang3.8

Wow, Jason. I'm glad you were'nt hurt. You were very lucky. I was in an accident last year with an 18 wheeler. He hit the back corner of my Mustang doing over 100.

Cars are replaceable, a human life is not, glad you are ok. As far as you guys that are saying it sounds like his fault, how the heck do you get THAT from what he said? The other guy could have run a stop sign for all you know from what he told us.

Guest Mustang3.8

The accident I was in was my fault. I was turning onto the highway and did not see the truck coming. I misjudged his speed. As a result, I had to pay the trucking company $200.

Cars are replaceable, a human life is not, glad you are ok. As far as you guys that are saying it sounds like his fault, how the heck do you get THAT from what he said? The other guy could have run a stop sign for all you know from what he told us.

Or they were coming over a blind hill or curve. B) Some accidents are just unavoidable-----that's why they're called accidents.

Now if it was intentional, that's when it becomes a "wreck"! ;)

As far as you guys that are saying it sounds like his fault, how the heck do you get THAT from what he said? The other guy could have run a stop sign for all you know from what he told us.

Usually when you "pull out" in front of another vehicle, YOU get saddled with the blame. A very similar situation happened to me, and even though the driver of the other car that hit mine was driving outside his lane of travel, it was my fault.

It all comes down to the word YIELD.

He said "I was pulling out and got slammed by a Hyndai Sonnata doing about 50+"

No venom here, Just an observation, from experance. And if you took the time to read my post you would see I said "I hope not".

I was giving the ticket for being at fault. Yes it had a v8 in it and I had built the vehicle to the point it was at now. CJtorino Id almost fly out there to pick it up and the offer is appreciated. The guy that hit me is fine it didn't bust the radiator in his car. Motor should be getting sat down in the vert on sat. Today Ill be building all the patch panels for the firewall and floorboard. Gotta finish installing my wiring harness as well. The blazer has some top damage so If it see the road again it will be a drag suv. I did find a 4 door blazer this morning Im gonna go look at here in a little bit has the same wheels mine had on it. Thanks guys the bench will get busy again soon.

Common Dude, an 18 wheeler doing over 100 :)

You must remember, he's CANADIAN!!! Kilometers =KPH is much higher than miles =MPH. If I remember without going to the driveway, 65-70 MPH is around 100 KPM. And just to let you know RJ 18 wheelers are VERY capable of 100 MPH, too. I had a Mack that I drove that would do that all day long! The fastest I ever had a truck was around 120 MPH or 130MPH in the open deserts of Nevada.

18-wheelers can't do 100, they all have governors to limit their speed.

Not all, Harry!

You must remember, he's CANADIAN!!! Kilometers =KPH is much higher than miles =MPH. If I remember without going to the driveway, 65-70 MPH is around 100 KPM.

What would happen to someone if they were hit by a rig going that fast? 65-70mph.

What would happen to someone if they were hit by a rig going that fast? 65-70mph.

The way Mustang described it, he pulled in front of the truck, so first, both were moving. Mustang said the rear corner of his car was hit, so I would say Mustang almost had the truck cleared, especially with only $200 damage to the truck. I would probably say it was a glancing blow, so Mustang was probably still moving forward after being hit, and may have gotten spun at least at a 90 degree angle, if not did a 180 or 360, but would have at least been pushed clear of the rest of the tractor trailer. If he wasn't moving, he would either not be here to post anymore or would have been in the hospital for a LONG time. I once had a accident on a two lane state highway where a Chevy S10 was pulling out of a car lot (the poor guy was test driving it!) going the oppisite way (I was travelling south, he was going north) and a Jeep Wrangler rear ended the S10. I was travelling the posted speed of 55 MPH, the S10 was getting up to speed, was probably 30 to 35 MPH at the time, and the Jeep (the driver was not paying attention) was probably going 55 to 65 MPH when he rear ended the S10, and when the S10 was hit, it was sent at about a 30 degree angle straight into the tandem axles of my trailer. Luckily the S10 did not go under the trailer, they would be dead if they did, and I would have probably rolled the truck on its side. The S10 did hit my outer tire on the first trailer axle (that's what saved us all) then bouced off the rear axle's outer tire, flattening both outer tires, then the hood caught my trailer's rear bumper, which ripped the hood off the S10 and threw the hood in the ditch. The very scary part for me, though, was, other than being my first accident in a tractor trailer in almost 8 years of driving (at the time it happened about 5 years ago), I did not even feel the S10 hit me and did not know until I see the outer front tire falling half way off the rim! The moral of the story, if you have an accident with a tractor trailer, especially at highway speeds, you're either going to be lucky, seriously hurt, or DEAD!!!

By the way, everyone that was involved in the accident I was in walked away with only very minor injuries!

Edited by highway