Model Cars Magazine Forum

baja ghia update

kod38

I luv stirring up tha bee's nest, even when I get proven wrong. How else do we learn for free, without skinning our knuckles? :):D:lol:

Now ifn anyone wants to talk about 55-58 Fords.......I've owned 9.

How else do we learn for free, without skinning our knuckles? :):lol::lol:

Now ifn anyone wants to talk about 55-58 Fords.......I've owned 9.

Very well put, zeb; as an early car advert(Duesenberg, IIRC) stated: 'Ask the man who owns one.' 8)

I'm with Bill.....a kit would be tremendous, but even a diecast of the 'razorback' (or 'European Corvair' :D) would be great. I know of 2 Type 3 Ghias in my area, so reference material is plentiful.

yes those type 3 ghias are very nice. deluxe interiors with porsche 356 seats etc unless my memory has deserted me.

corgi made a very nice one in approx 1/43 which is often available for an affordable price on ebay in mint with box condition. i think i also have a resin body in 1/25 from that guy in south africa along with an abarth 356, austin countryman or traveller or whatever it was, speedwell (?) mini cooper fastback and a few more. too bad that guy went out of business (so ive heard)

great discussion...

I dont know anything about vw's,but i know what i like..

really look forward to more progress on your build Doug

Mark,I just did and fit the basic 6 point cage today.

I am gonna do a lot of bracing and adding of bars and make a front beam and tie in by the end of the week.

I will post progres pics later this week.

It would have been easier to scratch build a whole chassis than work around the stock pan and interior.LOL!

But I do think the end result should be cool.

I may do graphics on this one too.

Thanks for the debate and interest in the subject guys.

Doug

I want everyone to eat their heart out. I have been working on a 1/16 scale Karman-Ghia over the past coupla years ( slow ) ? It was made several years ago by Revell/Germany. It is one beautiful kit. Especially since I made a tube chassis for it and installed a big a-- blown V-8 under the front hood.

bob :shock:

I'd love to see that one, actually.....Any plans for the leftover stock parts, Bob? :D

I've got the same kit, although I haven't started it yet. My friend in CT has an unrestored '56 Ghia that he may want a replica of, so I've put that kit on hold until I can get up close & personal with the real one. For now, it's tucked away under the Revell AG split Beetles in my storage room:

kit_stash3-vi.jpg

sounds to me like you messed up a perfectly cool build there bob...but im a purist. much better if you scratched up a porsche quad cam motor.

:shock:

but carry on; im in the minority im sure and im sure it will be awesome anyhow!

i have on the boards a tamiya ghia that im putting a twin turbo rotary from an rx7, so who am i to criticize?

:D

on the other hand a friend of mine has a 62 ghia with an rx7 rotary sans the turbochargers that has run like a bat outta you know where for 15 years now.

I'd love to see that one, actually.....Any plans for the leftover stock parts, Bob? :D

I've got the same kit, although I haven't started it yet. My friend in CT has an unrestored '56 Ghia that he may want a replica of, so I've put that kit on hold until I can get up close & personal with the real one. For now, it's tucked away under the Revell AG split Beetles in my storage room:

kit_stash3-vi.jpg

That's why I can never find VW kits Dave,because you own them all.LOL!

I started the cage work and have the interior cage about 60% done.

I will have a dry break fuel filler just behind the pass door,you can't see the top of the fuel cell because it's white right now and blends in.

I will post more later this week when I have the beam built and tied in.

Doug

100_4274.jpg

100_4290.jpg

100_4282.jpg

Wow thats gonna be cool :D

I made a couple centerline wheels and may make and use those instead of my trade mark BFG's.LOL!

How did you make the centerlines? And what are your trade mark BFG's?

I'm pretty new to the forum and the hobby so I have no clue what youre talking about lol :oops:

Wow thats gonna be cool :D

How did you make the centerlines? And what are your trade mark BFG's?

I'm pretty new to the forum and the hobby so I have no clue what youre talking about lol :oops:

The rear wheels are revell centerlines that I drilled to represent vw pattern.

My trade mark BFG tires are the ones I use on all my baja cars.

They come from a die cast kit and already have a wide 5 pattern.

They are really hard to find.

They will be available in cast resin pretty soon though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Doug R

sounds to me like you messed up a perfectly cool build there bob...but im a purist. much better if you scratched up a porsche quad cam motor.

:shock:

but carry on; im in the minority im sure and im sure it will be awesome anyhow!

i have on the boards a tamiya ghia that im putting a twin turbo rotary from an rx7, so who am i to criticize?

:lol:

on the other hand a friend of mine has a 62 ghia with an rx7 rotary sans the turbochargers that has run like a bat outta you know where for 15 years now.

Shooot jb, back in tha 60s I put a 392 blown hemi in an Alfa Guiletta.....couldn't use tha hood as tha valve covers stuck up thru tha hood opening.....but it was Baaaadd lookin' ! :twisted: Yu go Bob<---<<

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Today, I built the front beam and tied it in to the main cage.

I still need add alot to it.

I also made a front bumper and mounted it.

In the rear,I re-did the rear most hoop and cut out the fender well area for shocks to go through.

The next step is to make front arms and shock mounts,then it's to the back of the chassis.

Doug R

100_4294.jpg

100_4298.jpg

100_4294.jpg

Ahhhh guys, tha hemi in an Alfa was a model...I'm thinking that ifn yu put a real hemi in an Alfa...1st time yu mashed tha gas yu'd have twisted tha Alfa into a pretzel. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

I jumped way ahead and painted the body.

I don't think I should have ,but it's done.LOL!

I had to do something to help motivate me.

It's black with a bluish purple splash pattern.

When the build is done I will take non flash pictures because the blue is not so bright until the flash hits it.

Hope you like it?

Doug

100_4566.jpg

100_4564.jpg

100_4549.jpg

Doug, I'm going to abandon my hobby room with built in work table and start building on the kitchen counter 'cause I could not do in a month the fab work you do in a day!!!

By the way, I just read all three pages and must add that I rode in a ghia in a car pool in the third grade so in my expert opinion this thing is sweet! 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...