Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting to 4X4

I've wanted to build up these two for awhile now but I'm not sure what the best approach is to converting them to the 4X4's they're supposed to be (well, the Quicksand kit is supposed to be at least). Any ideas? TIA.

Quicksand4X4Van.jpg?t=1272120477mamtminimotorhome.jpg?t=1272120522

So your saying the Revell Van only looks like a 4x4 but isn't?

Go dig up some Ford Broncos and use their front suspension.

Some Van Conversions use the 1/2 ton Ford (on right).

P4170004.jpg

One slight problem with that idea, Fords have the transfer case and axle pumpikin on the drivers side, Chevy's came down the paasenger side! Chevy also used solid axles only, not an idependent axle like those in the Broncos. Monogram had a late 70's Chevy Stepside (I believe it was call Sportside on the box) 4X4 that would be a perfect donor kit, if you can find it. I think it was last released in the 90s, blue on the box. You could also use about any solid axle from other 4X4s, no matter of make, just make sure the front driveshaft comes down the passenger side to be prototypically correct.

Waaaait a minute. The Bronco has a coil spring setup?? I didn't know that. I've got a spare I'll dig out and do a mock-up on. I've been trying to fit everything in my arsenal from Blazer frames to differentials but with leaf springs that came nowhere close to mating with the kits. Yeah, believe it or not The Revell Chevy van doesn't have four-wheel drive even though in other versions it's adorned with 4X4 decals.

Tom, both of your vans are Chevys...they would have a solid front axle with a passenger side differential. All parts easily found in donor kits, scratched with a center section & new axle tubes, or available in resin. Come see us here for conversions like this already done:

4x4 van linky

Any off-road or 4x4 info you'll ever need can be found here! :D

Tom, both of your vans are Chevys...they would have a solid front axle with a passenger side differential. All parts easily found in donor kits, scratched with a center section & new axle tubes, or available in resin. Come see us here for conversions like this already done:

4x4 van linky

Any off-road or 4x4 info you'll ever need can be found here! smile.gif

Just checked out your site Jeff. Didn't even know one existed just for 4X4s. Very cool!