Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has everybody been following what is happening with AMT?

http://rc2.com/investor/financial/2007/Rel...relim_Q4_06.pdf

They are at this time planning to go through "2007 business as usual with the Model kit side, then they are done." They have said some of the new stuff like the Foose line WILL be affected. I take this to mean, forget anything new.

This Info comes from Tom Carter of Hobby Heaven and most of you know he has friends in the upper management at RC2. This is what he has been told. The link above is from RC2 themselves.

The Die Cast side is pretty much finished with market saturation and the escelating cost of Zinc being the two main factors cited.

I know there have been many complaints about AMT quality (or lack thereof) but I SURE didn't want to see them go under, BUT when you start looking at the quality issues and the generic engines and lack of detail on a LOT of their new stuff and even modified reissues, I guess it was bound to happen.

Chris, I mentioned in another post how I hope AMT's tooling can find a happy and suitable home.

AMT has soooooo much history, it'd be a crying shame to let it fall by the wayside...........having said that I hope that whoever gets them..............they are real hobby enthusiasts and not just out to make a quick buck.

That'll surely spell doom for AMT. :)

Hopefully somebody like Dave Burkett of Model King will snap up AMT. It would probably be a wise move. Even if it isn't Dave, someone who at least has the appreciation for the hobby. Or maybe we'll get lucky and the newly re-born Hawk Models will grab AMT. If that doesn't work, let's all take up a collection and buy AMT ourselves :D . And if nobody buys AMT and it disappears into oblivion, the kit hoarders will have a field day. Just like they do with the old Jo-Han models.

This is definitley not good...