Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi Cuda.........1971

Jeff Sauber

I finally got around to cleaning up and organizing some of my Photobucket albums, and wanted to share this Revell Cuda.

I think I posted this here before, but here's some new pics I took with better lighting.

I built this kit pretty much right from the box and added a little extra detail throughout.

This kit get's no love from the general modeling community and it does have some shortcommings and inaccuracies, but on the other hand it isn't the most hatefull kit I've ever built. It did need some tweeking and adjusting, but it's not a bad looking little car when finished.

Model car garage even makes a PE set for it, [although I didn't use it on this particular buildup.]

I didn't bother to re-configure some of the inaccuracies such as the incorrect front valance panel line location, too far apart headlights, and several other tooling issues, although I did rework the stance, and shortened the driving light stalks. Here's how my version turned out...

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

11.jpg

44.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

DSC00004-2.jpg

Edited by J. Sauber

I have no interest in Mopar stuff, but this is a great piece of work. One thing I particularly appreciate is your attention to detail in putting in the black rubber seals on the windshield – something almost everybody overlooks. Wonderful job!

yup, seen this one before :lol:

always nice to have a look at it again though!

one of the best builds of this kit i've ever seen too. still waiting on someone to build a killer drag car out of this kit or even a way cool pro touring style car.

Dave

I have another kit here that I may do some thing like that with...A low profile Pro touring car would be very cool.

For this build I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this kit. There's certainly alot of correcting needed in order to make a faithfull representation of a good replica stock version, but to the casual eye, it does look like a Cuda the way it is..

The engine parts are crude and blocky...especially the carbs, and front cover/water pump..If I get to building another, I'll give it a much better mill. The chassis pan is also subpar and could use a replacement.

I have no interest in Mopar stuff, but this is a great piece of work.

No interest in MOPAR???!!! :blink:

I think they have meds now to cure that problem...;)

Jeff, I've never seen that kit built any better. Spectacular! :rolleyes:

PS to Skip: What happened to Hello Kitty??? :P

Thanks for the comments guys.....

Lee, the belt details are made from evergreen strip, adhesive fabric, and some buckles shaped with hand files and a pin vise,using thin aluminum sheet.. The gauges are made with photo reduced faces [using my printer], and the trim rings are 26 gauge wire.

Harry, I would have used a silly hello kitty AV as well, but I found that cool kustom instead.

Edited by J. Sauber

No interest in MOPAR???!!! :blink:

I think they have meds now to cure that problem...:lol:

Jeff, I've never seen that kit built any better. Spectacular! :)

PS to Skip: What happened to Hello Kitty??? :P

Kitty came along to lighten up the late unpleasantness. Who knows what's next?

Thanks guys...

Yeah it's ashame that Revell didn't tool this thing up a little better and make the kit more appealing. Alot of the parts are crude and need much attention. The fitment on a few things was also questionable. The out of box stance on my sample was terrible. I had to do alot of tweeking and modifying to get it acceptable.

Another annoying thing was the fact that the inner door panel lines don't match up to outer door lines. They are WAY off!! and would need substantial re-scribing/adjusting.

I'm assuming that the hard top version is even more inaccurate with the roof issues and all?

Edited by J. Sauber

I'd give you grief for forgetting the hair gel in the glove box, but you didn't specifically say that it was a Nash Bridges car...

LOL, nah, this was the just the cuda convertible with the yellow car on the box art.

If this was a more serious kit with better tooling, I would have loved to do a full out replica stocker with opening panels and the works, but this sucker just needed too much work to make it worthwhile.

It's a neat little car anyhow....I did enjoy the majority of the buildup time.

Nice job. The panel lines really make the detail pop out. Did you do it with a seringe and black paint?

I just flowed a little black and gray enamel wash mix into the re-scribed panels lines with a small brush....the capillary action did the rest...Then wiped away the excess with q-tips.