Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Dullcoat for tires??

Guys,

I'm about to apply yet ANOTHER set of 'Good Year' decals to a set of tires I'm using on an old MPC 80's El Camino, and I'm wondering what dull coat works best?? I want to use something that will dry thoroughly, and not crack during assembly.

Mike

Guys,

I'm about to apply yet ANOTHER set of 'Good Year' decals to a set of tires I'm using on an old MPC 80's El Camino, and I'm wondering what dull coat works best?? I want to use something that will dry thoroughly, and not crack during assembly.

Mike

I use Testor's glosscoat first, then apply the decal (the glosscoat hides the decal film), then dust on Testor's Dullcoat. This works well on Revellogram vinyl tires (Nascars and the old Blue Streak big and little tire sets)

Richard Shouse

RCS Motorsport Models of Texas

www.rcsmotorsport.com

I use Testor's glosscoat first, then apply the decal (the glosscoat hides the decal film), then dust on Testor's Dullcoat. This works well on Revellogram vinyl tires (Nascars and the old Blue Streak big and little tire sets)

Richard Shouse

www.rcsmotorsport.com

Thanks for that tip. I've used Dullcoat, but I'm not real familiar with the Testors glosscoat. Is it lacquer-based?

Thanks,

Mike

Richard Shouse

www.rcsmotorsport.com

Ditto. Works for me.

Glosscoat first...

DSC00042-vi.jpg

...then decal. When dry, seal with Dullcoat.

DSC00016-vi.jpg

Yes it is. I don't have a clue why it drys on the vinyl tires, but it does!

Richard Shouse

www.rcsmotorsport.com

That's really interesting, since most of the posts I've read on this subject suggest acrylics for whitewalls and dull coat for vinyl tires. If I wanted just to dull the sidewalls without decals or a base gloss coat, do you think Testor's dullcoat would work?

That's really interesting, since most of the posts I've read on this subject suggest acrylics for whitewalls and dull coat for vinyl tires. If I wanted just to dull the sidewalls without decals or a base gloss coat, do you think Testor's dullcoat would work?

For just knocking the sheen off the sidewalls, I've heard wiping them down with lacquer thinner or acetone works. I've only done it once, and it worked ok.