Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Models and the Godzilla Complex

As a backstory, I'm doing a little "blog" for my Osteonecrosis Support Group. Please ignore the statements about enclosed pictures, as they can be accessed through my Gallery photos. My screen name for the group is the same as my email address; modelerjimg, so that explains the first paragraph. I thought you folks might enjoy it; at least I hope so. I'm amazed at the talent on this board, and feel like I've found some really awesome friends here. You have no idea how much delight I take watching your progress, and learning new things. Since I'm homebound for the most part, this board gives me wings!........

Clearly, my screen name means something. I've been building models since the mid to late 60's, and it's a relaxing, yet challenging hobby. It's not a possibility on really bad pain days (until I finish designing my in bed hobby table!) but when things are not too bad, I get out the supplies and a model.

A lot of this stems from watching the old Godzilla movies, and the Ray Harryhausen "stop animation" clay figure monster and sci-fi movies of the '50s. To me, it was cool to see the miniature cities and towns get destroyed by whatever monster was in action. I guess it was the "God's Eye View" thing that got to me, especially after taking my first airplane ride in 1967.

However, I was NOT one of those kids who blew up their models with firecrackers. I took too much pride in my work (and hard earned allowance) to even consider destroying them. In addition to my models, I had a small HO railroad set that my dad mounted on a uniquely cut out and painted piece of plywood, but that only came out around Christmas time. I'd scratchbuild buildings out of balsa wood, cardboard, and clear plastic shirt collar material during the year, and detail the interiors with "posters" from old Reader's Digest or National Geogpahic ads that fit the small scale. I'd go so far as to paint the scored cardboard brickwork I'd make with a good watercolor set and randomly paint the "bricks" in various tones. When the allowance permitted, I'd go to the hobby store and buy the tiny "grain of wheat" bulbs so I could light up the interiors. I strived for realism! It's too bad the layout only saw the light of day a few weeks a year.

I've kept up with models all these years. I build mostly classic car models these days, but dabble in a few propeller aircraft once in a while. I like to build car models of either ones I've owned (or as close as I can get,) would like to own, or as gifts.

I found it's amazing that you can get into a very meditative state while doing it. Kind of "Zen and the Art of Car Modelling." For a few delightful hours, pain takes a secondary role, and becomes tolerable for a while.

I'm enclosing one picture of a '53 Ford model I built. It's the closest I've been able to get of my first car, a '54 Ford. I painted it the same colors as my real one, and added a lot of detail to the interior trim from guitar wire where the model maufacturer forgot to have it. It was a fun build, and I'm giving it to my brother as a gift, as he loved the car.

I hope you enjoy it, and I'll post others as time permits. Cheers, and stay pain free! Jim

Hey, Jim, welcome to the site. I Googled osteonecrosis and I can see what you're up against. Fortunately, I think you've found the perfect hobby to find the Zen, and I'm sure we're all glad you're here. Didn't see any pictures or a link to your builds, though, in your post. As you get used to this site, I think you'll find some of the greatest modelers and tips in the hobby, plus a certain amount of rowdy fun.

Welcome Jim, had seen you post a few times before. I too just googled osteonecrosis, and wish you as many pain free days you can get!

I looked at your profile and realized we grew up in the same era, and quite possibly the same area! That's if you grew up in the Poughkeepsie area. I grew up about 10 miles south of you off Route 9 in Fishkill. Actually hope to be heading back that way to visit family the end of this month or beginning of next.

Your right, there are a lot of fantastic modelers on this site, and a lot of really good people too! If you ever have a question on different ways to do something, just search through the archives, and if you can't find it there just ask!

Take care, JT

Hi Jim!

That's a great personal history. I think most people in this hobby would have something interesting to say about how they got here. It really is a great way to get outside of yourself and away from the things in life that aren't as much fun. Not many of us have the hurdle that you have to clear.

Your '53 is real beauty. Caught my eye immmediately. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! biggrin.gif

Hi Jim!

That's a great personal history. I think most people in this hobby would have something interesting to say about how they got here. It really is a great way to get outside of yourself and away from the things in life that aren't as much fun. Not many of us have the hurdle that you have to clear.

Your '53 is real beauty. Caught my eye immmediately. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! biggrin.gif

How did you find that example? I don't see any links or photos.

Thanks for all your kind comments; click on the little "TV Screen" below my avatar '53 Ford picture, and that will lead to my gallery that's posted on this board. I just recently unearthed some of my early models (including one of "Lil Coffin") that I hope to take pictures of soon. Even found a Renwall '48 Continental in 1/48! Model cars keep me focused, sane, and thrilled when it comes to viewing the talent here. Thanks, folks, from the heart!

One more thing; since some of you have Googled Osteonecrosis, you have a basic knowledge of what it is. I ended up with mine from being on Prednisone for chronic sinus infections. Unfortunately, few doctors are aware of the potential dangers of corticosteriods; Prednisone is often prescribed for things as simple as poison ivy. Most people aren't affected by it, but there's a few of us that have the genotype that is. If anyone you know has bone pain after taking it, find an informed osteopath as soon as possible! New treatments as far as self supplied stem cell implants have been happening recently. Mine happened too many years ago for proper treatment, and by the time it was diagnosed, it was too late. Sorry to bring up a medical issue on this model board. If anyone needs more info, Message me privately...now back to models and Godzilla! :lol:

Albeit I must be somewhat younger than you are, I can relate to your Godzilla. For me it was Gerry Anderson, who first triggered my interest in modelling in what must have been my formative years. And my father, who is an excellent modeller, got me started. I remember us sitting at the kitchen table doing models - he his railways, I my cars.

My love affair with cars and modelling was already well established, when I saw my first Godzilla movie during his comeback in the 'Space Age' around 1970. Like with Gerry Anderson before, I got a kick out of these movies when it comes to modelling and shifted into second gear, so to say.

Anyway, my Godzilla is - like yours - a Japanese guy in a rubber suit trampling model cars and railways in a model Tokyo, and not a newfangled computer generated monster trampling a computer generated New York City.

Albeit I must be somewhat younger than you are, I can relate to your Godzilla. For me it was Gerry Anderson, who first triggered my interest in modelling in what must have been my formative years. And my father, who is an excellent modeller, got me started. I remember us sitting at the kitchen table doing models - he his railways, I my cars.

My love affair with cars and modelling was already well established, when I saw my first Godzilla movie during his comeback in the 'Space Age' around 1970. Like with Gerry Anderson before, I got a kick out of these movies when it comes to modelling and shifted into second gear, so to say.

Anyway, my Godzilla is - like yours - a Japanese guy in a rubber suit trampling model cars and railways in a model Tokyo, and not a newfangled computer generated monster trampling a computer generated New York City.

Man, your last paragraph says it all!

I remember going to an exhibition in the late 80's at a Boston museum, and seeing a number of movie models on display. There was a USSR Hind? helicopter model from one of the Rambo/Chuck Norris/etc. type movies amoung many other related models. One of the original TV show Star Trek ship Enterprise models was also displayed. It's sad that movie model makers have pretty much become a thing of the past. Computers have taken care of that. I'll take the rubber lizard suit anyday!