Model Cars Magazine Forum

Semi custom el camino

cazxr2

Well here we go it's a 65 el camino from amt. Good easy to work with kit, no problems as such. I'm just building this the way I would have one. In other words my choice of colour rims interior. So I appoligize if I upset anyone.274b5549.jpg

to start with I was unsure what colours I would like it. But after painting a suburu for a mate, my mind was made up

2961f1d5.jpg

so u can guess what's coming next. Yes yellow and black although the subaru is fiat golden yellow with gloss black. I picked fiat broom yellow with matt black. Anyway Heres a few pics. And a pic if the box engine ( drag version) :)

28beccc7.jpg

857eeee4.jpg

e9d9364d.jpg

and started detailing the chassis

07ce9ee6.jpg

body still needs finishing bit of buffing and a few coats of clear. But here's a question am I able to put clear on the matt black? Without wrecking the paint?

Haven't picked wheels yet. Interior will

probably be White and black with flocking. Any c&c welcome.

Edited by cazxr2

• 2 weeks later...

You know for something unique, you may put a set of the yellow racing stripes on the hood (not the roof) and down the back. Just a thought. If the paint you are using is anything like car paint the only thing you can use is a semi or flat gloss clear so it doesn't take away the matte look. I think it would look cool with the yellow stripes though for something different.

Cheers for the comments. Yeah I was also thinking of the yellow stripes and maybe black wheels with yellow rim around the edge. I too liked the yellow and black I originaly painted but made a few mistakes. May do the yellow and black on a subaru I have in the to do list. Should have more updates tomoro.

Had some time on this the day, so I flocked the interior added yellow bucket seats. The kit comes with custom decals red blue and yellow stripes so I thought I'd cut off just the yellow and use them. But that failed Teribly lol. So I just masked of my own stripes and painted again with fiat yellow. Big fan of that colour as I used to have a fiat secento. And I also painted the stock wheels black and added a yellow outer rim. Ur comments as usual are welcome as I like the input thanks hope u enjoy the photos

64c4efcb.jpg

b304eb25.jpg

and of coarse a mock up of what she will hopfully look

18eabc83.jpg

Had some time on this the day, so I flocked the interior added yellow bucket seats. The kit comes with custom decals red blue and yellow stripes so I thought I'd cut off just the yellow and use them. But that failed Teribly lol. So I just masked of my own stripes and painted again with fiat yellow. Big fan of that colour as I used to have a fiat secento. And I also painted the stock wheels black and added a yellow outer rim. Ur comments as usual are welcome as I like the input thanks hope u enjoy the photos

64c4efcb.jpg

b304eb25.jpg

and of coarse a mock up of what she will hopfully look

18eabc83.jpg

That's awesome. Looks sweet. Stripes will set the car in a class of its own. Good job.

That's awesome. Looks sweet. Stripes will set the car in a class of its own. Good job.

Thanks for the comments glad ur liking the way it's going. Should be all

wrapped up this week just need to

put everything together basicly.

wow! those yellow stripes and the yellow on the rims give it just the right amount of pop factor can't wait to see it done keep up the good work. just a thought though what about tinting the back window? i think it would really set it off and then add a nice performance decal to the bottom of the rear window. just a thought take it or leave it.

Very nice build the color choice came out good. one small piece of advice for your next build. I noticed that your paint comes out bumpy (thats called orange peel) to you can get a smoother paint by following these simple steps next time.

1. If your using spray cans, boil some water in a pot after it comes to a boil turn the fire off, then place your can in the hot water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. this will thin you paint and it will atomize better giving you a smoother finish.

2. Instead of trying to cover your model with one quick coat of paint, do several thin coats. Start by misting your paint onto the body very lightly do one coat then let it sit for 15 mins. (this is called flash time) once the paint has flashed do another thin coat in the opposite direction of the first coat( If you went up and down on the first coat, go back anf forth on the next coat) keep doing this untill you get the shade you want.

3. dont rush it a good paint job could take you hours to complete. after you get these basics down then look into paint polishing.

sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I hope this will help you to gain a glassy paint job. Romell

Edited by Aftashox

wow! those yellow stripes and the yellow on the rims give it just the right amount of pop factor can't wait to see it done keep up the good work. just a thought though what about tinting the back window? i think it would really set it off and then add a nice performance decal to the bottom of the rear window. just a thought take it or leave it.

Cheers that does sound like a good idea. How would I go about tinting the window? Cheers craig

Very nice build the color choice came out good. one small piece of advice for your next build. I noticed that your paint comes out bumpy (thats called orange peel) to you can get a smoother paint by following these simple steps next time.

1. If your using spray cans, boil some water in a pot after it comes to a boil turn the fire off, then place your can in the hot water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. this will thin you paint and it will atomize better giving you a smoother finish.

2. Instead of trying to cover your model with one quick coat of paint, do several thin coats. Start by misting your paint onto the body very lightly do one coat then let it sit for 15 mins. (this is called flash time) once the paint has flashed do another thin coat in the opposite direction of the first coat( If you went up and down on the first coat, go back anf forth on the next coat) keep doing this untill you get the shade you want.

3. dont rush it a good paint job could take you hours to complete. after you get these basics down then look into paint polishing.

sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I hope this will help you to gain a glassy paint job. Romell

hey romell No not hi-jacking at all. I did wonder how some of my paint came out lumpy? This can was a think style car paint ( won't be buying it again) it was the only Matt black I could find. Al try putting it in the pot of water if I use this again. I'm looking at air brush kits. But have no idea what to

look for? And if it would benift me as I'm just a novice? I have seen a few kits on eBay uk. But unsure what to look for. Plus budget is low. Any ideas? Thanks craig

Edited by cazxr2

well craig the way i usually tint a back window is by painting the inside of the window with a dilluted flat black paint and i dillute it till it's the shade of tint i want. for example if i wanted limo tint i would paint straight from the bottle. i don't have a formula for mixing as i just do what i like but thats how i do it. now i've heard of guys using actual window tint film but i don't know how to do that or if it actually works. hope this helps and keep up the good work. oh i use junkyard windows to test my tint mix on. keep up the good work. and rommel thanks for the tip on paintt as i have bumpy paint sometimes too.