Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build for yourself-FIRST!

When I got back into model building again, back in the early 80's. I was green and had a lot to learn about being a COMPLETE MODELER. First and foremost you must learn to build for yourself(what makes you happy).It doesn't matter what other's think so long as your Happy with your work.EXAMPLE:the first real model contest I entered a Pink Nail polish painted PORCHE944 ragtop with pink painted wheels.Well it didn't place but,I got a lot of compliments on the wheels. Then second, be open minded-What I mean by this is don't be closed to new idea's. EXAMPLE:I was strictly a CHEVYGUY when I got back into the hobby,now I love all kinds of Motor Vehicles and makes. It has made for "goodtimes" as for going to Carshow's, soo much more ENJOYABLE and guy's like nothing more than too brag about their ridez. Third: do the research and get as much reference materials as possible. Example: I seen a Rat Truck on the HUB of a 1942Chevy,since I had the kit-I thought I'd like to try and build one of it. So I Private messaged the owner and ask if he had anymore photo's of it besides the two posted (he sent me a half dozen).Well,I just posted pics of the done model the other day and got in touch with him and asked if he'd check it out and give me his thoughts.He came over and Commented on each photo and told me that it looked exactly like his truck and was very pleased with result's.This is probably the HIGHEST COMPLIMENT I could have ever gotten.(better than any trophy). My point is-if at first you don't succeed try, try,again there's a lot of truth to that statement. And last but not least: if you don't have something positive to say about someones work-"DON'T" say a word-Thing's go better with HAPPINESS!!!! P.S. Thanks Greg&All involved for this site! it's a great place to come to!!!

Edited by raymanz

I agree with the sentiment. The interesting thing is the differnt reasons people have for deciding what to build for themselves. Some like to impress others and build what the crowd is doing and some are rugged individualists who build what they want no matter how much everyone else ignores it. Some build very casually and others build very serious, involved projects. There are a thousand different reasons for building models and they are all good. :lol:

When I got back into model building again, back in the early 80's. I was green and had a lot to learn about being a COMPLETE MODELER. First and foremost you must learn to build for yourself(what makes you happy).It doesn't matter what other's think so long as your Happy with your work.EXAMPLE:the first real model contest I entered a Pink Nail polish painted PORCHE944 ragtop with pink painted wheels.Well it didn't place but,I got a lot of compliments on the wheels. Then second, be open minded-What I mean by this is don't be closed to new idea's. EXAMPLE:I was strictly a CHEVYGUY when I got back into the hobby,now I love all kinds of Motor Vehicles and makes. It has made for "goodtimes" as for going to Carshow's, soo much more ENJOYABLE and guy's like nothing more than too brag about their ridez. Third: do the research and get as much reference materials as possible. Example: I seen a Rat Truck on the HUB of a 1942Chevy,since I had the kit-I thought I'd like to try and build one of it. So I Private messaged the owner and ask if he had anymore photo's of it besides the two posted (he sent me a half dozen).Well,I just posted pics of the done model the other day and got in touch with him and asked if he'd check it out and give me his thoughts.He came over and Commented on each photo and told me that it looked exactly like his truck and was very pleased with result's.This is probably the HIGHEST COMPLIMENT I could have ever gotten.(better than any trophy). My point is-if at first you don't succeed try, try,again there's a lot of truth to that statement. And last but not least: if you don't have something positive to say about someones work-"DON'T" say a word-Thing's go better with HAPPINESS!!!! P.S. Thanks Greg&All involved for this site! it's a great place to come to!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!! Preach-on raymanz! Be a much better place and much better world if others would take this approach to heart. :lol:

AMEN!!!!!!!! Preach-on raymanz! Be a much better place and much better world if others would take this approach to heart. ;)

Bravo!!! I feel the same way, I build what I like, yet I do take a critical eye at my builds so if I ever do enter them in a show. I know there are many, especially a select one or two in the Model Trucks section, who feel 1/24 scale and 1/25 scale don't mix, and I'm usually the first to reply "WHO CARES!!!". I have always, even when I competed regularly in shows, built for myself first. If it looked good to me, I won, whether or not I won a trophy at the show. Since I think all good threads need pics :lol: , this is my current project.

HPIM2151.jpg

HPIM2155.jpg

Sure, some may not like the big custom sleeper, but I do! Some may say the huge front moose bumper doesn't look right, even my better half has told me that, but I like it and think it adds a rough look to the truck. I've also been using this as a test bed for new ideas and things I've not done before. This is my first frame and sleeper stretch, it's also the first model I've ever used regular automotive Bondo filler on as putty. It is also the first model I've used color changing paints on, and will be the first to ever use Alclad chrome on to rechrome parts.

I have also felt sometimes hearing some of the nit picks not only on this forum, but at shows as well, some people need to have some imagination when it comes to builds, and maybe take in consideration the builder may have not built the model to be a perfect replica. One case in point from personal experience was a show I helped judge. The builder built a nice International truck pulling an extendable bed flatbed trailer with a load of pipe on it in a military paint job. One of the other judges, who was a member of the club I belonged to, was also helping the host club judge, and he was helping judge heavy commerical, too. He had no idea what he was looking at when it came to heavy commerical, but he was judging it anyway. I, at that time, had about 8 years experience driving and working on trucks. He was one of the types that could not see past the build to the story behind the model, and thus started nit picking the truck apart. His first nit pick was the thickness of the door the builder cut open, he thought it was too thick. I shot that nit pick down telling him that doors on trucks are NOT thin, and also since this truck was built as a military hauler, it could be armored. His next complaint was the wall thickness of the PVC pipe the builder used as the load, he said the real thing would scale out to almost one foot thick. I shot that down with the fact some larger concrete drainage and sewer pipes can easily be that thick. Next he complained that the weight of such pipe would make the weight of the load beyond the legal allowable weights. That was quickly shot down after I gave him a very detailed explaination of the US DOT legal weight standards, plus the fact again that the truck was built as a military vehicle, the US military vehicles are EXEMPT from the DOT standards!!! This finally shut him up, and in this case, imagination won over techincallity, and earned the fine build a first place award. This proves, even if the builder may not even realize it, there is a story behind every build!

Maybe my experience in the hobby can help some of the other builders out there.

I’ve always been interested in cars. I started building models with my dad (who built a few in the ‘60s) because those were the most realistic replicas I could find. As I got older, I started building them by myself. I thought they looked pretty good, especially compared to my friends models that they built.

Then one day I got dropped off at the mall and a “club†had a model display. I talked to one of the guys there and they said I should come to one of there meetings and bring my models. So the next month my dad and I attended.

That club has a “contest†a few months later. I enter the “junior†class, and got a couple of first places, and was pretty happy about that.

More importantly, I saw the models of Pat Covert (y’all might have heard of him). He got best of show in the adult class. I wanted to build models LIKE THAT!

So this young kid asks him how he does it. He said he’ll show me. The next model I built, he critiqued. Same with the next and next and next. When the next show came around, many builders were saying my models didn’t “belong†in the junior class.

This attention allowed me to meet many great modelers and learn more techniques, as well as acquire many friendships along the way. Allowing these friends to critique my models made the next one better and guess what? More first place trophies came my way.

Now, nearly 25 years later I’m not as concerned about making the “next one better.†I’m much more content to challenge myself and try to build a 3D version of whatever is in my head when I have the time and desire to do so.

Here's an old build that I think I've topped a couple of times over.

IMG_5019-vi.jpg

Yep, agree also. One of the biggest reasons for my long departure from the hobby was simply getting burnt out from building for shows and what not. When I came back to it many years later (not long ago actually) I just build for myself and love/enjoy doing it. Sure I may get carried away on some aspects of the build, but thats just me and what I chose to do. Gotta build what you like, and who cares if nobody else does. You do! Build on! :lol:

I build for myself now.I got tired of the nit picking at the judged shows.Most of all have fun.

Matt,I think that's why I'm enjoying building more because I don't have the judges to deal with-Just the comments of my peer's. And yes it's all about haveing FUN!

I agree with the sentiment. The interesting thing is the differnt reasons people have for deciding what to build for themselves. Some like to impress others and build what the crowd is doing and some are rugged individualists who build what they want no matter how much everyone else ignores it. Some build very casually and others build very serious, involved projects. There are a thousand different reasons for building models and they are all good. B)

Andy,I seen your build's and have been a fan of your stuff for 20years or more. Your one of the original NNL Guys! Always liked your Backwards cars! Seen one at the first TOLEDO show I went too.

Maybe my experience in the hobby can help some of the other builders out there.

Ive always been interested in cars. I started building models with my dad (who built a few in the 60s) because those were the most realistic replicas I could find. As I got older, I started building them by myself. I thought they looked pretty good, especially compared to my friends models that they built.

Then one day I got dropped off at the mall and a club had a model display. I talked to one of the guys there and they said I should come to one of there meetings and bring my models. So the next month my dad and I attended.

That club has a contest a few months later. I enter the junior class, and got a couple of first places, and was pretty happy about that.

More importantly, I saw the models of Pat Covert (yall might have heard of him). He got best of show in the adult class. I wanted to build models LIKE THAT!

So this young kid asks him how he does it. He said hell show me. The next model I built, he critiqued. Same with the next and next and next. When the next show came around, many builders were saying my models didnt belong in the junior class.

This attention allowed me to meet many great modelers and learn more techniques, as well as acquire many friendships along the way. Allowing these friends to critique my models made the next one better and guess what? More first place trophies came my way.

Now, nearly 25 years later Im not as concerned about making the next one better. Im much more content to challenge myself and try to build a 3D version of whatever is in my head when I have the time and desire to do so.

Here's an old build that I think I've topped a couple of times over.

IMG_5019-vi.jpg

Tim,I've been a fan of your builds for many years. I,remember the first time I saw your Impala in the magazines and was just Blown away! Now I have a better understanding of why your so good.Pat's a person I've learned from also by following his articles in SAE and a couple of his books. But I've never been fortunate enough to have met him. How can I see your newest builds that you say you've topped the Impala with??

Edited by raymanz

I have no idea how I posted inside my post, but go figure. Maybe I should spend some time on the board figuring it out!!!

We can read it, spend the time building. :)

After the usual break in the hobby caused by that nasty thing called "life" I began building cars,lots of cars, and they all had one thing in common. They were all police cars.

I just built what interested me. I began venturing out to a show or two mostly out of curiosity. That and the owner of my LHS said I should exhibit some of my builds. I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing. After attending a few over the years I was blown away by the originality, skill, and just plain imagination that I had seen. So I took it all in and gained the desire to improve. I won a few times but that was not as important to me as what I had learned.

Then one of my easiest, quickest, and dare I say cheapest builds was the one featured in SA's old Light Commercial way back when. Go figure.

Then it dawned on me. While the uber detailed, flawlessly painted, shiny car that wows them is great, I had more fun building the car that was in the magazine.

I retired, and moved 1700 miles to begin a new career. All those cars still exist in a display case at the St Louis Police Academy Library. I left them for others to see. It wasn't a hard decision at all.

Guess which one I did bring, that's right, the simple slammer, the one from that magazine article so many years ago.

DSCF0419.jpg

I like to share the hobby with others, but darn it I build to have fun.

G

IMG_5019-vi.jpg

Tim, that build was the one that got me back into the hobby on a more "serious" level!! It inspired this build...

belair-4.jpg

And for that, I say thank you!! Those of you that know what I build, you know I build mostly for myself but I'm pleased if others dig my builds. I can only please myself so that's who I shoot for with every build. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Edited by Tonioseven

Hi gang,

This is a very interesting and very important thread. I am returning after a extended time away from something I have loved since I can remember, models are cool and cars are the coolest. I build for me, I emulate the good builders to improve my skills, I log onto the forum daily and watch/learn/drool, but I do it for me. I am planning on going to the IPMSHAMS show August 21st in Houston, it will be my first event ever, and it will probably be my only event as a displayer (competitor is too strong a word?), just want to try once, then build for me from that point on. Not too concerned with turning my passion into a contest, but respect so much the work of those that do!! Just doing it for me, for fun, always has been and always will be. Thanks and here's two pennies.

Mike

raymanz and others who agree with him: What I'm about to say is not meant as a slam against you personally.

I may be in the minority, but I'm tired of guys who feel it necessary to attempt to influence others to "build for yourself", if at the same time you denounce contests. These kinds of blanket statements can only be taken as slams against judged contests. I say that if you want to build for yourself, you are doing so whether or not you enter a judged contest. The argument may be made that if you build for a contest, you are not "building for yourself", but rather are building just for the contest. Yeah..so what? For some modelers like myself, building for a contest IS "building for myself". My goal is always to get better. When I build for a contest I try to build as best as I can. After judging, I talk to the judges to find out what I did wrong so that I can improve. Also, I always judge so I can learn from other judges what they see wrong in many models. Contests and competition are what has elevated this hobby to the state of excellence that it enjoys today. I believe dissing contests as something other than building for yourself is the wrong thing to do. For those of us guys who like building for contests, we don't need someone to stand up and state publicly that we shouldn't enter contests as that is not "building for oneself". The shoe could be on the other foot...contest guys could stand up and shout out, "Build for Contests", and if you don't you're not a worthy modeler!

I ALWAYS build for myself. And if building a model to the best of my ability, then entering it in a contest and doing well or even not so well pleases me, then I would say I've certainly "built for myself".

raymanz and others who agree with him: What I'm about to say is not meant as a slam against you personally.

I may be in the minority, but I'm tired of guys who feel it necessary to attempt to influence others to "build for yourself", if at the same time you denounce contests. These kinds of blanket statements can only be taken as slams against judged contests. I say that if you want to build for yourself, you are doing so whether or not you enter a judged contest. The argument may be made that if you build for a contest, you are not "building for yourself", but rather are building just for the contest. Yeah..so what? For some modelers like myself, building for a contest IS "building for myself". My goal is always to get better. When I build for a contest I try to build as best as I can. After judging, I talk to the judges to find out what I did wrong so that I can improve. Also, I always judge so I can learn from other judges what they see wrong in many models. Contests and competition are what has elevated this hobby to the state of excellence that it enjoys today. I believe dissing contests as something other than building for yourself is the wrong thing to do. For those of us guys who like building for contests, we don't need someone to stand up and state publicly that we shouldn't enter contests as that is not "building for oneself". The shoe could be on the other foot...contest guys could stand up and shout out, "Build for Contests", and if you don't you're not a worthy modeler!

I ALWAYS build for myself. And if building a model to the best of my ability, then entering it in a contest and doing well or even not so well pleases me, then I would say I've certainly "built for myself".

I agree to some extent. Just because you are building for a purpose, does not mean that you are not building for you. Building for yourself can have a very broad range of meanings but to Quote Shakespeare, "To thine own self be true..." A good look in the mirror tells you what brings you pleasure. If trophies are the end, then so be it, but find what it is that keeps you in the hobby. Build things that you enjoy and you will by nature do a better job. If you enjoy the research, then have at it. High detail is your thing? Good on ya, Bob! The other side of this and this is probably what causes all the discussion, don't judge others motives because they do not share the same set as you have. Recognize that each of us is in this for our own reasons and being critical of others motivation is counter productive. Take what everyone brings to the table and share what you bring.