Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jairus- How about that race plane CPB?

LDO

Well, I wish that I would have waited but that wouldn't have done any good for this plane, a Seafury. This is the first race plane that I built. I hope it's OK to post it here even though it's not qualified, but maybe someone can use some of the ideas that I used. I bobbed the wings and installed a prop and nose cone from a Spitfire. Plus smoothing the fuselage.

seafury8.jpg

seafury7.jpg

If I can I'll try and do another plane for this. Dan

Well, I wish that I would have waited but that wouldn't have done any good for this plane, a Seafury...

Jairus has said that the Sea Fury and Bearcat are eligible. Even though they didn't serve before the war ended, they have been turned into real racers.

Jairus has said that the Sea Fury and Bearcat are eligible. Even though they didn't serve before the war ended, they have been turned into real racers.

Correct! Both planes were under production and a few installed in units at the end of the war. Even though neither airframe saw combat in WW2, they are still considered legal for Reno Air races and for this build off.

Pretty aircraft there Dan! Put some numbers and graphics on it and you might have something... :D

Edited by Jairus

Thanks Jairus. When I built this I wanted to keep it simple and plain. I thought about puting some graphics on it but I couldn't come up with anything. I'm still thinking about that and still coming up blank. Any suggestions are wellcome. :) Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Well, I wish that I would have waited but that wouldn't have done any good for this plane, a Seafury. This is the first race plane that I built. I hope it's OK to post it here even though it's not qualified, but maybe someone can use some of the ideas that I used. I bobbed the wings and installed a prop and nose cone from a Spitfire. Plus smoothing the fuselage. If I can I'll try and do another plane for this. Dan

Nice Seafury Dan! A splash of colorful graphics on it & you'll be in the running! But please, join us with another plane also...you can enter two! :P

Here's my modified P-39 fuselage so far...shaved the air intake (will be relocated), smoothed the surfaces. One more sanding & priming session & it should be ready for color.

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_82092.jpg

Finally, more visible progress. I got the canopy and fairing all sorted out. It also has a cockpit. At first I was going to go with black paint on the canopy, but I decided to go for a more realistic look. That caused A LOT of work.

I have to keep thinking ahead on this because of the paint. The exhaust stacks are supposed to be put on before the fuselage goes together, but it would be tough to polish the paint with those stacks in the way. I cut the nose open so I can install them through the nose before the spinner goes on. The radiator scoop also presented a problem It would be tough to paint the top part of the scoop with it being so close to the wing. Polishing? Forget about it. I painted the scoop before putting on the wing. I'll blend it in after the wing goes on. I was about to glue the wing on when I realized the scoop will also interfere with painting and polishing the wing. So tonight I painted the bottom of the wing. (It will not have any visible glue joints) Here's the color scheme: pearl white and pearl pink. It will have a thin black line at the color separation. Man, this thing is a lot more work than I thought it would be, but I think the results will be worth it.

p51dcbpracer005-vi.jpg

Jairus, Could I beg for a date of Labor Day Sept. 5 as the end of summer? If not, what does your calendar say is the official day. I thought I heard you mention Aug. 22 when we talked last week. Status of my build - bodywork on the gun removal is complete - the cockpit and pilot, (I modified a 1/32 Apache helo figure) are nearing completion - still trying to decide if I try and incorporate the Russian star, (Mig lineage) or go Nascar/F-1 for the graphics. Also gotta fit in a 2 week trip to Oregon Aug.3-Aug.19 which really messes with the build schedule. :(

Edited by chopt31

Jairus, Could I beg for a date of Labor Day Sept. 5 as the end of summer? If not, what does your calendar say is the official day. I thought I heard you mention Aug. 22 when we talked last week. Status of my build - bodywork on the gun removal is complete - the cockpit and pilot, (I modified a 1/32 Apache helo figure) are nearing completion - still trying to decide if I try and incorporate the Russian star, (Mig lineage) or go Nascar/F-1 for the graphics. Also gotta fit in a 2 week trip to Oregon Aug.3-Aug.19 which really messes with the build schedule. B)

IIRC, he said September 22nd.

Okay... BEG me! :lol:

LOL, actually Lee is correct, the official end of summer is Sept 22nd. :(

Wow! What a relief, much better than Aug.22! (much better than Sept.5 Labor Day, too). I might even finish this challenge! Thanks for clearing things up, Sir. Now if I can figure out how to post photos I'll be 'flyin'! ;)

Edited by chopt31

I found the perfect name and image for my entry online. I transferred it over to decal film and here it is.

DSC04829-vi.jpg

DSC04830-vi.jpg

Now I can apply some clear, let it cure, and then rub it out and do some final assembly work. I've also created the markings for my pylon, which I will be working on while the clear coats set up.

Guess mine won't be the only Mig-3! Check my linkie near the bottom of pg.6 for a cool reference site for the Mig-3. Got the cockpit finished after some serious mods to the pilots' posterior so he would 'behave' and keep his head inside the canopy. Project on hold until Aug.20.

Edited by chopt31

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did everyone forget about this??? :rolleyes::lol::blink: This is why I'd like to see a Community Build section here, I almost didn't find the thread to post my update, I started looking in the "On the Workbench" section for it! :D

Anyway, enough complaining and time for my long overdue update. I have been working on and off on my Spitfire, and here is where it stands at the moment. It's ready for primer, and hopefully paint in the next day or two.

HPIM2465.jpg

I have a color scheme picked out, but I'm going to hold off on saying what it is until I see if I can scan and reduce some decals for it first from a NASCAR. It will also be a two tone, something I have not done to a model in forever. I also hope I didn't make a mistake with hoping to mask the interior and installing it prior to paint.

HPIM2466.jpg

HPIM2467.jpg

I'm not that much into aircraft, but I think that usually the builds I see in magazines such as Finescale usually do it that way. I hope to have it primed tomorrow, and if I can finish this one up soon, I have a P-51D to hopefully finish before the deadline also.

Matt, your going about it the right way. In order to get the fuselage seam halves sealed and filled for proper painting you have to complete the cockpit and install it first. One trick I learned from some great airplane builders is to fill the cockpit with moist tissue to use as a masking when you are finally ready for paint. After you finish your paint you simply pull it out and clean up any excess tissue residue.

Mine will be ready for completion this coming weekend.