Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor question

The other day i went to pick up some duplicolor primer and didnt know which one to get because they had several.

Im wondering if there are any specific primer type that you guys get for your model cars?

Also, is all duplicolor paint safe for plastic models or there are special types made just for plastic?

Dupla color has 3 main types of lacquer based automotive primer. Sandable, Filler/primer, Sealer/primer...

All work well BUT are HOT so mist the first coats on let dry and go from there....its all I use mainly as plasticote is getting harder to find and Tamiya is out of stock everywhere??

How about the actual color paints?

are they all safe for plastic as well?

Thnaks for all your help guys (and gals) by the way

In my experience, all the colors are safe if you put them over the Duplicolor primer (I use the "sandable").

They may work without the primer but I don't care to try it! I did have trouble with unprimed Duplicolor many years ago but I think the automotive paints might have been hotter back then.

BTW, I love that pickup in your avatar! That is sweet!

Edited by mr moto

I use Duplicolor Paint Shop Primer BSP100 Gray, which comes in quart sized cans and is available at many auto parts stores. You can find it online here www.jcwhitney.com/paint-shop-primer/p2020561.jcwx?TID=100DF&redir=k232270 for $21.00. The quart cans are more economical than the spray cans in my opinion. But, you will need airbrush to spray it.

Thanks for all your help guys

Now im just wondering if i can use tamiya primer with duplicolor paints or should i only use duplicolor primer with them?

Do a spoon test.....I will always stick to 1 mfgr on important builds.....the duplacolor is hotter than Tamiya.....MIST COATS and you will be OK