Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP Bud King AA/FC

Got some paint on her and did some additional work to the chassis. I bought a 5 way Detail Master harness off Norm Veber at the MAMA meeting today. This thing is schweet! Good thing I made the slot wider at the shoulder point. Shot the body in 97 degree heat with Tamiya bright red. It's already dry but I'll wait over night befre I mask the white portion. I have the decals cut out tight to the edge for a clean edge when I mask it. The white I'm using is Testors Model Master Classic White. A laquer that I have used over Tamiya with good results in the past so no worries there. Still struggling with the port injection but I have it 1/2 done and it looks good. I had to make a bracket for the idler pully since it was like a kit alternator, just floating out in space. Stole some blower restraints from my Inagural AA/FC kit. Got the chutes done and mounted on their plate as well. Also mounted the extinguishers. Robbing the decals from the other kit for those as well.

Thanks to Dave Zinn for bringing some red spark plug wire to the meeting. Saved my vittles broski. Thanks

2i0ytcn.jpg

f9qr6e.jpg

33n9v8j.jpg

Making progress even after todays MAMA meeting which was Awesome.

15ps86h.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bob

Got the white, decals and one coat of clewar on her today. This dry heat is perfect for painting projects like this so I'm getting it done while I can. It needs another coat of clear before I buff it out but it sure did come out pretty cool.

2zg6wt2.jpg

This pic was shot with the flash. I never use the flash so I though it was a throw away but it really is bright.

2lcya91.jpg

o022r.jpg

Back to the chassis.

Bob

Very nice! I remember watching that car run as a kid and I believe I still have the autographed poster of that car somewhere in my stash. 1985 U.S. Nationals is where I believe I saw Kenny run it (forgive me, I was 10 and my memory might be a slight bit hazy!).

Got her all polished up so I thought I'd share a few pics. I am obsessing over the port injection so I took a break to do some other tasks. I got most of the safety harness in but not buttoned down to the attachment points yet. I finished the mag and swiped a coil from my top fuel donor kit.

izyjyt.jpg

11hrn6b.jpg

As soon as I'm happy with the injection I'll be sure to post it. I'm also in the middle of fabricating the barrel valve and throttle bracket. There is plenty to keep me busy while I regroup for the injection finale.

10nyr5w.jpg

2m4b1c0.jpg

rhu2hx.jpg

osr3hf.jpg

Thanks for hanging in there with me. And thanks for the encouragement.

Bob

Finally got the port injection completed. Looks like I'll have to tweak a few to look crisper and straighter but that's the easy part. It looks like I tweaked a couple of the hat lines but I'll get those as well. For the most part it's done.......... [wipes brow]

xwrnq.jpg

29clzj8.jpg

I'm currently working on the barrel valve and if I like that throttle bracket or not. It's a standard bracket used for many years but it may be a tad thick so I may spend some time thinning it down a bit. The barrel valve is done, and it is the best one I ever made. Next up is braided lines for the fuel. I also have to finish the oil system but the filters are drying and since they have enamel on them it'll take another day before I can get to them.

33f6ski.jpg

2e3zo7n.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Bob

<BUMP>

Looks like this project will stall a bit till I get some Pro Tech line coming in. I have almost enough fittings but the generic line I have doesn't fit. It came in 5 sizes and they are all to small or to big. So I have to wait till I get some dough for some of that Pro tech stuff. It looks so good and I've been meaning to get some so now I'll have to.

1zbwjet.jpg

23wqwli.jpg

But I figured I'd bump this thread and take a few shots with the body on. I also finished the chutes so I snapped one of them.

33uafdz.jpg

mb6ez5.jpg

2qxq2k6.jpg

Till I get some Pro Tech braid!!!!!

Bob

Edited by Dragline

• 3 months later...

Got the white, decals and one coat of clewar on her today. This dry heat is perfect for painting projects like this so I'm getting it done while I can. It needs another coat of clear before I buff it out but it sure did come out pretty cool.

2zg6wt2.jpg

This pic was shot with the flash. I never use the flash so I though it was a throw away but it really is bright.

2lcya91.jpg

o022r.jpg

Back to the chassis.

Bob

Very nice look forware to see it finish.

• 2 years later...

Gosh, this project has been in the box for so long. I made it with Plastruct and a small hobby sized miter box. Pretty simple really.

I pulled this out a while back and was thinking of finishing it. For the life of me I cannot remember why I put it up when I did.

Bob