Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi, my name is Tom and I'm from Central Florida. After 30 years, I've gotten the itch. Things have changed since the early 80's so it's just like starting from scratch. I picked up a couple of models at a garage sale so I'm going to start with them. I might just glue one together to practice assembly skills before I bother trying to paint. Anyways, I'm sure it'll be fun.

welcome...tom....skip the practice and get out the paint make your 1st build total practice..what the hell...lots of help here and info on just about anything and everything to do with modeling and more...neal

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I just might paint this bad boy. I've decided to start with a '67 Mercury Cyclone (blueprinter series) from AMT. All the parts are still there and still wrapped in plastic. Looking for a good suggestion for glue as my first step. Then maybe a primer :P . The model is modeled in a light gray.

Other than that Welcome to the boards Tom

Like most I use primer from walmart 1.12 a can I use glue from hobby lobby i dont know the name I just know its in a red tube lol. As far as sandpaper I use (from wally world) automotive paper I start out with 800(going to drop to a 6 or 400 soon) most of the time then work up to 2000, but that depends on your preference.

You will learn a lot through here, and If anyone wants to help with this list of builders to watch feel free. These are guys that weall learn from.

1.Aftashox

tom...i use loctite super glue control gel..home dep..lowes...micheals...all have it...i like it cause its a gel and u have much more control over where u want the glue...use a tooth pick or a pin for tight spots...it u get it on ur skin get it off i use a nail file to sand it off not sure if anyone else has a prob with it but it eats thur several layers of skin on me nothing serious just a pain in the a--...go to tips, tricks and How-To Tutorials for any ques u might have on any subject...neal

Edited by outlaw035

Welcome, Tom!

I use Elmer's white glue for clear parts, Tenax 7R for main building, sometimes Testor's tube glue if I want to be able to manipulate the parts a bit before they dry.

Primer I use whatever is on sale, and choose either white, grey or red depending on what the end colour will be.

Enjoy the forum, there's tons of info to dig through. The search function is great for finding stuff, and if you can't find it, just ask your question, and it gets answered in a hurry! Take care!

tom...i use loctite super glue control gel..home dep..lowes...micheals...all have it...i like it cause its a gel and u have much more control over where u want the glue...use a tooth pick or a pin for tight spots...it u get it on ur skin get it off i use a nail file to sand it off not sure if anyone else has a prob with it but it eats thur several layers of skin on me nothing serious just a pain in the a--...go to tips, tricks and How-To Tutorials for any ques u might have on any subject...neal

rubbing just a few drops of canola oil on your finger tips will allow the glue to "float" on top of that rather then eat into your finger ;)

thats also the glue i use for chrome, metal and wiring

All I can say is...OMG! I have just suffered my first case of generational sticker shock. What did I buy? 5 jars of Tamaya paint, 1 jar of thinner, 1 can of Tamaya semi gloss black spray paint, 1 X-acto knife, 1 5-pc Atlas brush set, 1 tube of Testors glue, 1 Testors liquid cement, and 1 tube of Loctite super glue. All of this joy came to $43!!!

I just glanced at the model car section and almost fell over when I saw the $20+ pricing. How do kids get involved in the hobby at these prices?

Tom, they DON'T, WE do. Todays kids, at least ALOT of them need that "Want it NOW" kinda attitude, and you MUST build a model, an they loose interest really fast. It IS up to us older guys to keep them interested, and help them stay interested. Most kids don't have the patience for it, but for those that do, they'll have a lifetime of building pleasure to look forward to!!!biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

All I can say is...OMG! I have just suffered my first case of generational sticker shock. What did I buy? 5 jars of Tamaya paint, 1 jar of thinner, 1 can of Tamaya semi gloss black spray paint, 1 X-acto knife, 1 5-pc Atlas brush set, 1 tube of Testors glue, 1 Testors liquid cement, and 1 tube of Loctite super glue. All of this joy came to $43!!!

I just glanced at the model car section and almost fell over when I saw the $20+ pricing. How do kids get involved in the hobby at these prices?

I just bout an Xacto knife, spare #11 blades, about 6 cans of spray paint, assorted bottle paint, plastic cement, Sharpie paint pens, emery boards, brushes, BMF,...and oh yea, six muscle car models. I am driving out to meet Ed at Drag City Castings tomorrow morning for some spare wheels and other resins. Awaiting on some engine, and interior detailing stuff in the mail now.

Currently got a 62 SD 421 Catalina, and a 62 409 build going on now.

Emery board can be found at the Dollar Store, and last night I stripped the wires out of some old phone jack cords. Its the right diameter for ignition boxes, plug wires, etc...and it was free. Got many colors of wire too, but i am using the white and red for now.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes. I popped two cars in the soapy water to clean them (the Merc & Volkswagen). I'll pull them before bed and let them air dry some place the cats can't get to them :P . The parts on both cars look to be pretty clean as far as flash, mold lines and ejector depressions. In fact, the only obvious ejector marks are on the chassis on the Merc behind where the front suspension attaches to (and hides it).

I also pulled the alternator off the chrome tree and hit it with some easy off. No chrome alternators here. I may try making a bracket after reading a way around the 'magic fan belt'. I think I'll try making it out of an old pop can. I've already have a few 390-4V pics including the bracket. Hopefully I have enough 'small' tools to make this. At least I have plenty of cans :lol: .

I'm part way thru the 'Back to Basics' thread and I'm really enjoying it.

Edited by Swifster