Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Pro Street

Brutalform

Just tossing this one around. Back in the 90s, NMCAs Rick Dyer drove a 7 second 55 Chevy (C.A.R.S) that was blue and white. I got an idea to build something very similar in color and mods respectfully.

Fellow MCM member Matt is fabricating some wheelie bars, wheel tubs, etc, that he will sell for about 15.00. I hope he gets it all figured out, as I am constantly looking online for what he is making. I will be buying about 2 or 3 sets from him.

I am currently awaiting some deep race rim resins from M.A.D, and tires from Alan at Mas Resins. Also looking for a 55 Chevy scooped hood, as I have to cover a large Gibson Engine. Would like to install a chute, and aluminum air wing on the rear deck. Probably will go with all aluminum underhood, since I will be cutting alot away for the engine.

This is just a few mock up pics, mostly to see what the stance will be, and to get that engine down where it belongs. Is it just me, or are the Gibson Engines TOO BIG???

Yeah, it's too big. I've had to of them new in the package that I got in a trade from someone on here. And they were both a royal pain to build. Matter of fact, one of them is still not completed because it's so poorly cast.

Hi, if I may comment...the Gibson engine looks really big in there. Although it's sitting very high in the engine bay which is making it look even bigger than it actually is. If there is a way to bring it down some you may be "ok" but hard to really tell without more pics. I'm not a fan of those engines after taking a long look at many versions in my LHS. They are all slightly out of scale and all the components are flat cast (1 piece molds) so even the exhaust headers are flat on their backside. Didn't like the engine block in so many pieces either. I've seen some nice ones built up though for sure, just not for me. Good luck with the build.

Yea Mike I agree 100%. After I get some of the junk cut away, it will go down more, and not look too bad ...I hope. It is a 737 Thumper Gibson engine, so it being a bit large is ok I guess. Now, if it were a SBC, then I think it would look silly sitting in there.

Thanks Kyle. Didn't Steve Carrier own that yellow Camaro? Its been a while since I watched NMCA cars. I just remember that awesome 55 Rick drove, and wrecked while racing Annette Summer. I think it will be a fun build.

thats a nice start you are of to there mr. hunter

you know, i too was looking for some deep rims the other day (converting a dually truck into something with mickey thompsons on there just as wide as both stock rear wheels put together) and i found that i had a set of rims that were about 5/8th in diameter

i cut the bead of them and found me some 5/8th ID conduit tubing and cut that down to 3/4 lengths

after i glued the rims inside the tube and glued a bead of half round styrene around the leading edge it actually looked pretty good

maybe a good idea for a future project?

Hey i think gibson motors are great and anyone who says there not probably hasnt really taken the time to build one correctly. Your motor looks to me to be a 815 mountain motor thats a huge mill once you get it set in right it'll look right for you. I use them all the time and I have a few unbuilt ones just waitin for me to pull em out. Heres the last two i built. Judge for your self. Romell

finishedunderglass007.jpg

mockup002.jpg

Edited by Aftashox

Ive been following your Nova build Romell....thats where I got the idea of ordering a Gibson Engine. BTW, you are a true artist, in every sense of the word. Its the 737 Pro mod engine. Earlier today I got it to sit about right in the chassis. Now its time to mod the firewall, and floor hump. Gonna hold off on the back halving until Matt gets the resin molds right, and I'll get the tubs, wheelie bars, rear etc from him.

I think the engines are good, Dave, just like anything else, if you take the time to build it, it will be well worth it.

Edited by Brutalform

Oh BTW, I got the rims in the mail today from M.A.D. I think I will use the Weld style instead of the Centerlines for this. I really gotta get an airbrush. I really like the Alclad colors that Romell used in his build. I really do not think I can get the right color for the wheels using a spray bomb.

Ordered the back half conversion, racing seats and rear suspension from Matt at Dencon resins. Did a bit of cutting on the chassis, interior, and cowl of the 55, to get the engine down where it should sit. I have to get it back enough for the radiator to fit in.

Hey i think gibson motors are great and anyone who says there not probably hasnt really taken the time to build one correctly. Your motor looks to me to be a 815 mountain motor thats a huge mill once you get it set in right it'll look right for you. I use them all the time and I have a few unbuilt ones just waitin for me to pull em out. Heres the last two i built. Judge for your self. Romell

Romell, "great" is a matter of opinion, one which your entitled to. And your right, I haven't taken the time to build one, nor will I. I think I "could" build one correctly though. ;)

I've got a new opinion about the Gibson engines. The first engine I built was not TOO bad, but it is just too big. To make it fit is one thing, but now there is no room for a drivers racing seat because of all the room the trans takes up. Forget about putting in a passenger seat.

So I figured I would give another one a try, and bought the ZL-1 427. A lot better in size, but there is no reason they should be cast in so many parts, that everything looks so mismatched. The engine could have been made with 10 parts, than 25!!! I've taken my time, but nothing lines up right. In order to get the hi rise manifold to be straight, you have to position the heads to a point where the cylinder bores are exposed. I'm sorry I wasted my money on another engine.

Edited by Brutalform

I,ve got a new opinion about the Gibson engines. They are an overpriced rip off!! The first engine I built was not TOO bad, but it is just too big. To make it fit is one thing, but now there is no room for a drivers racing seat because of all the room the trans takes up. Forget about putting in a passenger seat.

So I figured I would give another one a try, and bought the ZL-1 427. A lot better in size, but there is no reason they should be cast in so many parts, that everything looks so mismatched. The engine could have been made with 10 parts, than 25!!! I've taken my time, but nothing lines up right. In order to get the hi rise manifold to be straight, you have to position the heads to a point where the cylinder bores are exposed. Im sorry I wasted my money on another engine. It will be my last!!!

Same problem here. I have a 392 supercharged Hemi that turned out not too bad, but it's bigger than it should be. I have a Hilborn injected 426. It's split between the block and the top of the bores, making a top and bottom instead of it being cut long ways making a left and right like a regular model kit engine. None of it has a flat surface. Once filed down to fit, now it's out of proportion. Some of them look good on the site and I'd like a hyper pak slant six, but not for the price and the quality issues.

Same problem here. I have a 392 supercharged Hemi that turned out not too bad, but it's bigger than it should be. I have a Hilborn injected 426. It's split between the block and the top of the bores, making a top and bottom instead of it being cut long ways making a left and right like a regular model kit engine. None of it has a flat surface. Once filed down to fit, now it's out of proportion. Some of them look good on the site and I'd like a hyper pak slant six, but not for the price and the quality issues.

Yea...I hear ya! I will NEVER buy one of those again. My 55 project is on the back burner for a while now. After I sanded, trial fitted the parts of the 427, just as you said it looks worse. I tossed it out. Gotta get another 55 body too, after cutting stuff from it, the engine was never going to look right in it. Big waste of money IMO. Gonna move on to a 62 Bel Air 409 until I get another engine, to do a blue and white pro street 55.

Yea...I hear ya! I will NEVER buy one of those again. My 55 project is on the back burner for a while now. After I sanded, trial fitted the parts of the 427, just as you said it looks worse. I tossed it out. Gotta get another 55 body too, after cutting stuff from it, the engine was never going to look right in it. Big waste of money IMO. Gonna move on to a 62 Bel Air 409 until I get another engine, to do a blue and white pro street 55.

Get the Revell 69 Camaro Baldwin Motion car. IT has a 427 in it. IT looks good to me. It's 1/25 though.

Ive been following your Nova build Romell....thats where I got the idea of ordering a Gibson Engine. BTW, you are a true artist, in every sense of the word. Its the 737 Pro mod engine. Earlier today I got it to sit about right in the chassis. Now its time to mod the firewall, and floor hump. Gonna hold off on the back halving until Matt gets the resin molds right, and I'll get the tubs, wheelie bars, rear etc from him.

I think the engines are good, Dave, just like anything else, if you take the time to build it, it will be well worth it.

Thx so much for your compliment. and im glad you like the Nova. If youre not in a hurry i'll be selling my wheelie bar kit in about a week, and its all brass no soldering required...sorry about the shameless plug :o

wheeliebarscomplete002.jpg

Edited by Aftashox

if you want to start over again and do another pro street '55 i'll suggest using a couple combinations.

Revell's '55 Bel Air hardtop kit mixed with the chassis from the AMT '57 Chevy street machine kit. the AMT SM kit has a very nice mini-tubbed chassis with a 4-link and a big-block Chevy with an automatic as well as a nice scale 3" exhaust.

AMT's '55 Bel Air 2-door sedan mixed with the back half of the Revell '67 Chevelle pro street kit. this one will make a common "back halved" car if you swap the tubbed section from the Chevelle to the 55's frame and floor section. you can use the Chevelle's big-block as well as many other parts from that kit to make a cool pro street car.

both cases you will probably want to look for some cooler wheels but they shouldn't be too hard to find. many resin casters offer the Draglites, Pro Stars and others from the 80's-90's pro stock and pro street kits.

Ross Gibson engines seem to be a mixed bag with what's good and what isn't. i can't complain about any of the engines i have and i like them. i do agree that in many cases they are overpriced but in cases like the "mountain motor" deals they are worth the money to me. pretty much you arent going to find those engines anywhere else and if you are building cars that have those engines Ross Gibson is the way to go.

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. I will look into the revell kit. I do have a back half conversion coming along with the rear and wheelie bars from Matt at Dencon. Also picked up some nice and deep Centerline Drag rims on Ebay. Maybe i will continue the pro street 55 after I get Dyno Dons 61 Impala, and a 62 Bel air 409 done, or almost done. The 55 you had mentioned does seem like the way to go..but with the conversion kit I have coming.

Edited by Brutalform

Thx so much for your compliment. and im glad you like the Nova. If youre not in a hurry i'll be selling my wheelie bar kit in about a week, and its all brass no soldering required...sorry about the shameless plug B)

wheeliebarscomplete002.jpg

Yea Romell, I am looking for parts. Been combing Ebay and finding nice wheel sets. Let me know when you want to let the bars go. I am in no hurry.