Model Cars Magazine Forum

spray can paint alternatives

what is the best way to use hardware store spray can paints? Which for primer, type and finish (flat, semi and glossy?) do i need to use a "paint for plastic" such as Krylon's "Fusion" when painting directly on plastic. If so, can i use Fusion for primer and then other "non-plastic" (e.g. Krylon paints other than Fusion) on top of Fusion. Am having problems with Testors spray paints and hardware store paints are much less expensive> Thx

what is the best way to use hardware store spray can paints? Which for primer, type and finish (flat, semi and glossy?) do i need to use a "paint for plastic" such as Krylon's "Fusion" when painting directly on plastic. If so, can i use Fusion for primer and then other "non-plastic" (e.g. Krylon paints other than Fusion) on top of Fusion. Am having problems with Testors spray paints and hardware store paints are much less expensive> Thx

If you are using the Testors spray enamels that we grew up with, its time to make a change. Testors and Tamiya both have extensive lines of spray lacquers that are state of the art as far as hobby paints come. You can find Testors lacquers at your local hobby shops and stores like Hobby Lobby. Tamiya sprays can be found at well stocked hobby shops and both can be found in online hobby stores.

They are more expensive than hardware store spray paints but are "model friendly".

Hardware store paints… not sure what those are. All I can say is to avoid enamel primers such as Testors. DupliColor primers work, but can go “hotâ€, I like them. PlastiKote primers are good.

Lacquer colors spray sooo good! You just want to be sure to have a good primer under them. Krylons, in my opinion, spray way too much volume out of the can, and are chemically “hotâ€. Others swear by them. PlastiKote and DupliColor are again good paints.

From the hobby shelves, any LACQUER by Testors or Tamiya is hard to beat. I have heard that many spray these on raw plastic; no primer required. I prefer to use primers… old habit. Better safe than sorry.

There is so many “right†answers to this Q, just take it all in, and try what works for you.

I am very happy using Rustolium, Krylon and Duplicolor paints. I find the Krylon paints in particular are very forgiving if I get a little heavy with a coat.

The hobby paints from testors and Tamiya are very nice but I'll only use them when I need a specific color not available in the general purpose paints because they cost about 4x as much (half the size, twice the price).

I do use Krylon primer as I know it is safe on the plastic, I have had a few bad experinces when I got lazy and went with the color coat directly on the plastic.

I don't really care for Krylon Fusion which is made for plastic, I find the regular Krylon works as well or better. I have used Fusion over Krylon primer with no ill effects when the Fusion was the only paint I could find.

If you are having problems with the hobby paints, general purpose paints won't help except to make the practice cheaper. I'd try to get some tips for technique. Personally I found my paint jobs were much better when I returned to the hobby in my early 30s because I'd learned patience and stopped rushing my paint jobs (I used to try and get full coverage in one or two coats). I don't know what issues you are having but there are lots of people here who can help what ever the problem is.

Edited by Aaronw

I am very happy using Rustolium, Krylon and Duplicolor paints. I find the Krylon paints in particular are very forgiving if I get a little heavy with a coat.

The hobby paints from testors and Tamiya are very nice but I'll only use them when I need a specific color not available in the general purpose paints because they cost about 4x as much (half the size, twice the price).

I do use Krylon primer as I know it is safe on the plastic, I have had a few bad experinces when I got lazy and went with the color coat directly on the plastic.

I don't really care for Krylon Fusion which is made for plastic, I find the regular Krylon works as well or better. I have used Fusion over Krylon primer with no ill effects when the Fusion was the only paint I could find.

If you are having problems with the hobby paints, general purpose paints won't help except to make the practice cheaper. I'd try to get some tips for technique. Personally I found my paint jobs were much better when I returned to the hobby in my early 30s because I'd learned patience and stopped rushing my paint jobs (I used to try and get full coverage in one or two coats). I don't know what issues you are having but there are lots of people here who can help what ever the problem is.

I swear by Plastikote primer...you cans usually find it in non chain automotive parts places. I like their spray cans if I am not going to airbrush. Duplicolor has a better spray nozzle but goes on really HOT....you have to go so light with Duplicolor in my experience.

Tamiya sprays are the best though...I also like the Testors lacquers in solid.l The metallics are too flaky (think almost bass boat lol)

But I think regardless of the color, I get the best results with Plastikote primers.

Thanks so much. just to confirm, you are saying that the standard Krylon primer is ok for plastic and then i can use any others on top? Little concerned about you comments about patience coming with age: I am 56 and it apparently hasn't occurred yet.

I haven't had any trouble with Krylon primers and have been using them for a few years now. Also haven't had trouble with Rustolium or Duplicolor paints on top of the Krylon primer, but you do need to make sure the paint you use is the same type (enamel on enamel, laquer on laquer etc) that is were you can run into problems.