Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished what I think is my best model ever...

Billy Kingsley

AMT 57 Chevy. I can't believe how well this turned out! I painted it in 2003, actually, the day of the blackout. I remember that because I was sitting on the living room floor showing my mom and brother the car when the power went out. It then sat...for more then two years. When I got sick earlier this year, I couldn't open the windows to build so I found some that I could bare metal foil. This one was one of them, but I never actually did it until earlier this week! (And, coincidentally, I was sick again)This build then just progressed very quickly. Of note, I painted this on August 14th 2003...I only learned how to use a Rattle Can on August 11th 2003.

I decided not to paint the interior because I test fitted it, and loved the way it looked, so I just left it white and picked out some bits with silver Sharpie. The Dashboard was BMFd. The car was planned to be stock, but I decided at the last minute to make it custom when I discovered the wheels to hubcaps fit was less then perfect. So, I made it as a street cruiser. I raised the rear using spacers from the parts box, and the front is the lower of two box-stock positions. With the rear raised, the front suspension touches the ground. The engine is the blown 409 from the kit. (I gave the 283 away as a PIF yesterday)

Since I don't have any gold BMF, I painted the regular BMF gold for the scripts and whatnot. I also decided not to include the cross bar in the grill area.

2006April20th026-vi.jpg

2006April20th027-vi.jpg

2006April20th028-vi.jpg

2006April20th029-vi.jpg

2006April20th030-vi.jpg

2006April20th031-vi.jpg

2006April20th032-vi.jpg

2006April20th033-vi.jpg

2006April20th034-vi.jpg

2006April20th035-vi.jpg

2006April20th036-vi.jpg

That's a real sharp looking 57, Billy. Keep up the good work.

Btw, since you're into El Caminos, I just got an 86 SS kit from eBay that I'm gonna use to build a replica of my 1:1 Elky:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/Welcome1.html

It's the 3rd one on that page. There's a lotta info on how I built an SS clone from a plain-jane V6 Elky. And it's for sale, too. :cry:

Ohh...and you might wanna check out my El Camino site:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/elky/Welcome.html

Again, you've done a real good job on yer 57. But like Mark says, it's the best so far. I bet yer next one will be even better.

Thanks guys!

Ray, very cool website, I'm liking it! That El Camino is awesome! Nice to see it in red, too. Not many of them like that. If you've not worked with that kit yet before, beware, the hood is usually warped. I have 3 diffrent copys of it, all of which has warpage in the hood :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...