Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 El Camino - Was it ever reissued?

I just acquired a '69 El Camino and I am wondering if that kit has ever been reissued or not? I know that '68 is out there in plenty but I can't recall a '69 ever on the store shelves. The '68 and '69 are similiar but just different enough to matter. :):):)

Edited by impcon

Nope, Gary. The 69 Elky was a ONE year only kit. The 68 is a BRAND NEW mold with not alot of parts that'll evenly interchange. If ya got one, hang on to it, caz like ya said, they're pretty rare nowdays. i have an original kit,but i probly won't build it caz it still too pretty in the box. Maybe someone out there'll get lucky when I'm gone!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Nope, Gary. The 69 Elky was a ONE year only kit. The 68 is a BRAND NEW mold with not alot of parts that'll evenly interchange. If ya got one, hang on to it, caz like ya said, they're pretty rare nowdays. i have an original kit,but i probly won't build it caz it still too pretty in the box. Maybe someone out there'll get lucky when I'm gone!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

C'mon, George. Build it! I dare you. I double dog dare you. :)

I have a resin one from an unknown source that I will build someday. One could get the Jimmy Flinstone 1970 or 1972 resin kit and graft an AMT 1969 Chevelle nose on it.

I know there were at least two issues of the 69 el Camino, one with the soap box derby car and without, I have the one without. AMT Y914 is the one I have, but it has no date which is typical of the era. I also have a resin copy of it. One of them, if not both I will build. I have too, I just sold my 1:1 last week :), and I miss it soooooooo much! I will get another one, again!

I'm not sure but they may have used the mold to make the '70 then '71, then '72, as they all used the same body, with modifications to the front and rear ends (mostly front)

You might be able to graft the front end of a 69 Chevelle, and have it work for the model, but I don't think they were the same in the 1:1. I may be wrong on this, but I heard several times that the el Camino used the station wagon front fenders (would figure) which were slightly different than the Coupe fenders. The difference was supposedly the fender brake point was less pronounced on the wagons/ el Caminos. Never got mine parked next to a Coupe to try to measure. Never have found it in any literature though.

If anyone knows someone that is producing or planning to produce a 69 EC, I'll be in line for a couple of them. I don't think I'll ever get around to being good enough to produce one myself!

They could redeem themselves in 2 ways: 1) Reissue the superior MPC tool...I mean they even used that one for the box art last time....or 2) At least make the grille look like a '72 Chevelle on the AMT tool. The latest version is just wrong.

The original MPC 1972 Chevelle SS annual was the superior, but the versions that were last issues as the SSlasher and the Pro Street Chevelle suffer from the same problems that the last issue of the MPC 1974 Cuda has. After the Chevelle tool was modified to become a stock car, the re-ingraving left something to be desired. Door handles and front turn signals are all wrong and the headlights are "bugeyed".

• 3 weeks later...

They could redeem themselves in 2 ways: 1) Reissue the superior MPC tool...I mean they even used that one for the box art last time....or 2) At least make the grille look like a '72 Chevelle on the AMT tool. The latest version is just wrong.

As far as I can remember the one noticeable difference between the '71 and '72 Chevelle is the little horizontal division on the front turn signal / parking light lenses. What (if anything) else was there?