Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the computer experts.

Every time I attempt to log into this forum I get a “The log in was successful†screen and I’m admitted to this esteemed place. However, lately that’s about as far as I get. Within minutes, yes, minutes, I get a notice to log-in. After minutes the system has timed me out, so to speak, and logged me out. I used to be able to stay logged-in for days. Now I can be in the middle of drafting a response to a question and POOF! I’m logged off once again.

Furthermore, the system does not remember where I’ve been. I can click on the “Go to first unread post†icon and it takes me where it wishes. I guess I should be grateful I get to stay within that topic. I can read all the posts within that topic, all the way to the last one, only to return later and get the opportunity to do it all over again.

I have been in contact with three of the four forum administrators. Two have no idea how to solve my problem and the third has not been successful in his efforts.

I have dumped all my cookies. My password has been changed and all the log-in keys have been reset. It does not matter whether I select “remember meâ€, or not, at the log-in screen.

I am using Internet Explorer 8.0 on a Dell computer running Windows XP.

Is there some setting within Internet Options in the Tools menu that will help?

Just a guess here, but it can't hurt to try:

Under the "Explorer" dropdown menu at upper left, click on "Preferences," then on "Web Browser," then on "Advanced," then where it says "Cache" click "Once per Session" or "Always." Make sure "Never" is NOT selected.

Like I said, just a guess... but worth a shot.

Or try downloading a better browser, like Firefox. Explorer is weird.

Steve sounds like you have something going on for sure , do you have a lot of stuff running in the back ground ? What kind of security are you running ? I could be wrong but sounds like you could have something you may not want in the computer. How many others are using your computer ? Like Harry said down load Foxfire for starters

Edited by 59-Desoto

I've never tried Firefox, but I would say the problem is not Internet Explorer. I use IE 8 and I have not had any problems like Steve at all. Of course, Steve, if you have not upgraded to IE8, I would suggest that first. If that doesn't help, you may have bigger problems. Also, how do you have as a service provider, that might be some of it, too, you might be losing connection and not relize it. I just changed mine, and that didn't even log me out. :D

One other thing. Everything was OK until about 3 weeks ago then poof! It's been IE 8.0 before and after.

3 weeks ago you say? that was around the same time frame my issue happen on here as well. And I'm using Firefox. But I haven't had no log out issue at all though. Just things vanishing at times is all and the mods are not doing as I found out recently. It might be the board software itself that has the issue.

One other thing. Everything was OK until about 3 weeks ago then poof! It's been IE 8.0 before and after.

The site works fine for the rest of us, so odds are the problem is on your end.

Try downloading and installing Firefox, and try the site using it. If that fixes the problem, then problem solved... and if not, well, you've lost nothing except a few minutes of your time.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

3 weeks ago you say? that was around the same time frame my issue happen on here as well. And I'm using Firefox. But I haven't had no log out issue at all though. Just things vanishing at times is all and the mods are not doing as I found out recently. It might be the board software itself that has the issue.

A few of the "skins" have glitches, it's a problem with this site's software. I use "IP Board" and have had no problems.

Steve and Jim, by some strange chance do both of you have internet though Frontier Communications? They just took over Verizon here in WV, and for the past three weeks, even though it's not been the same as the problems both of you are descibing, I've been having problems with internet too! Since Aug 9th, I've lost service completely for a total of 6 days and it was out an hour or two today. That's why I just hooked up my Comcast internet today!

Steve and Jim, by some strange chance do both of you have internet though Frontier Communications? They just took over Verizon here in WV, and for the past three weeks, even though it's not been the same as the problems both of you are descibing, I've been having problems with internet too! Since Aug 9th, I've lost service completely for a total of 6 days and it was out an hour or two today. That's why I just hooked up my Comcast internet today!

Negative, I have Windstream.

So, roll the computer back to a restore point that was before this problem and see if that fixes it. Do it in safe mode to be sure no malware is starting that would prevent you from using a restore point.

Start - Accessories - System Tools - Restore - (to get there)

Are you suggesting dusting off the old computer hammer? :P

My hammer is used so much,it doesn't get dusty. :lol:

all kidding aside,I know it can be frustrating.

Try restarting your computer,Download an antimalware program and run it,there are several great ones for free.If you need the names,let me know.

I am trying Google Chrome as a browser.It takes a little getting used to ,but it loads sites very fast and has been great for me.

It has several interesting features on it.Check it out.

Good luck,

George

do you have a lot of stuff running in the back ground ?

What kind of security are you running ?

How many others are using your computer ?

I don't know what a "lot" is so I don't know how to answer that.

AVG

Just my wife (who says she supports my modeling)

Steve at the time it started did you by chance try a systems restore ?

No

Nope, my ISP is COX

I had a laptop in a patrol car once that was just a bit, well, recalcitrant.

I administered some "tough love" one day and discovered:

1. While sometimes appropriate, applications of force do not usually work well with electronics.

2. It is definately a bad idea when it's a touch screen laptop.

3. The on duty IT guy that was working definately earned his sixpack after that one.

4. I never did that again, although threats seem to work well.

G