Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back in the Herd

Hey all. My name is Will. I am a newly minted 50 yo who has decided to get back into this world we love called model car building. I am new to this board but have been welding plastic parts together off and on since my Dad bought me my first model when I was 8. Im from Oklahoma City, any others from OK out there? I know there has to be or the employees at Hobby Lobby are taking models off the shelves just to confuse me or give me false hope. I used to be involved in 1:1 racing, dirt style and I tell you that to say this...while I absolutely love watching sprint cars tearing around the track and slinging rooster tails of dirt into the air the absolute best thing about it was sitting around for a few hours afterwards listening to stories some of these guys would tell. Thats what I have been doing the few months I have been lurking here. Just reading some of the comments and stories you guys tell. So now I will respond in kind and give you some insight into how I think :( . They used to have a model car contest here in OKC a few years ago. It was put on by a really nice guy but every year he would have this buddy of his be the judge and it became really frustrating because the best over all model car would not win, it was ususally the one with the best or coolest paint job. So me being who I am showed up the nest year with my entry tucked safely in a box. I walked up to the registration table paid my money and filled out the forms and proceeded to go set my entry on the table. It only took 15 minutes for this guy to track me down holding my entry in his hand. "What the hell is this?!?!" he said holding up my chunk of balsa wood with the killer paint job on it. I told him "Since the paint job is all that your buddy Earl is looking at I didnt see the need to waste time building a whole car" :lol:

Hi Will, and welcome to the board! Great story; it's like the old adage that a gold plated turd is still a turd! :( I would think (and hope) that most model contests are judged by much higher standards; I know the ones I've entered in the past were. I do have to make a confession, though; years ago, I won Best Competition Car at a Good Guys show model contest. It was a Williams Formula 1 model, and it did come out very well, but it wasn't perfect. I had a couple of decal wrinkles caused by Solvaset, etc. It was built completely out of the box without anything added. The reason I won? It was the only racing model there! I gave the model to a friend, but I still have the plaque. That was the only time I felt I won without really earning it, as it was one of average effort; pretty much a weekend project. At another show with other entries, it may have gotten an honorable mention at best.

Welcome back to the hobby Will. :D

I've only been back 8 years myself. Ya the dirt cars are cool. I retired from that after 15 years of it.

Alot of new building supplies to improve our finished product have been created.

This sure is a great hobby and is just as addictive as race car driving.

I'll be happy to see your builds. :)

Welcome Will. Did your balsa block win? Great story. Lots of terrific things happening here.

I would like to say that my "creative" entry won...it had a shot but was disqualified for not having any wheels..I told the guy if he gave me a few minutes I could fix that problem..but he declined :lol:

Welcome Will. I am a little south of you in Ardmore but I too know there has to be more modelers around here in hiding. I only have a Hobby Lobby around here but kits seem to disappear quite regularly. Once in a great blue moon I travel north to Norman to visit the Hobbytown USA. They do not have much for car modelers but but have a good supply of paints and other tools.