Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any other clubs do this?

I wuz going through some old pics, found these from our 2003 Classic Plastic meet. IIRC, the MassCar club was already doing this before we ever had a contest.

MVC010S-1-vi.jpg

Build the model for the Slammer class. Set it on the ground, climb the ladder, and send the hammer south! He (or she) who has a part fly away the farthest away from the target... wins. Simple, and fun!

MVC011S-1-vi.jpg

When I was a teen, we used to blow up models with blockbusters (very large firecrackers) and see how far the parts would fly. We determined that if we put cuts on the roof pillars, the roof could fly real far, almost across the street! And you guys thought Palmer kits were useless ;)

Oh, this photo was taken at one of our club meetings a few years ago. The hammer wielder hates tuner cars and the builder built this for the sole purpose of watching the hammer fly ;) It was all done in fun...no real cars were injured in the process ;)

Aw, c'mon! You don't have any glue bombs stashed away? No too-far gone old builds? Most models entered were built specifically for this category... which, btw, fwiw, offers a 1st thru 3dr place trophy. BTW, monster trucks... those tire/wheels will really fly away!

Edited by Jon Cole

Aw, c'mon! You don't have any glue bombs stashed away? No too-far gone old builds? Most models entered were built specifically for this category... which, btw, fwiw, offers a 1st thru 3dr place trophy. BTW, monster trucks... those tire/wheels will really fly away!

Come to think about it, I don't think I do have any glue bombs stash away.. if I do have any then I sure as heck don't know about them.

Yes I do! But I call them future builds!:)

I have seen that done a 1:1 car shows too! I vaguely remember even seeing it in either Hot Rodding or Super Chevy!

Come to think of it that picture looks almost like one in an old issue of SA I have lurking around collecting dust!

Edited by Johnny

I'm somewhat taken aback by the total lack of amusement of this fun activity! Everyone is allowed their own opinion, of course, but we are talking plastic models here, people! Not a Rembrandt! B) Most of the builds entered reflect that.

I never bothered to enter this category myself, but it's not because my little models are so precious that I just cannot bear to harm one! Sorry for the sarc; but if I saw a model kit collection, even a very modest collection, I would bet my bottom dollar there are at least one... umm, "less than desirable" kit in there. ;)

As for most of us here, I bet we could call our stash of kits... "more than modest". Back when many voiced concern that the hobby was dying faster than they liked, several said, and I paraphrase: "I have more models that I will ever build".

Having been involved with the club, I can tell you.... when there is a trophy involved, some builders would, if it was possible to win a trophy, they would... glue each individual part of that kit to their face... fastest fool wins! :D And I guarantee you there would be a good turnout for this! Now that I think of it.... :blink::P

And yet, you wouldn't spare... one? Kit? Hmmmm.... B)

Having been involved with the club, I can tell you.... when there is a trophy involved, some builders would, if it was possible to win a trophy, they would... glue each individual part of that kit to their face... fastest fool wins! :lol: And I guarantee you there would be a good turnout for this! Now that I think of it.... :blink::lol:

^^^ B):lol::D ^^^ Now the parts glueing to faces I'd pay to see :lol: