Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dale Jr. 2010 Nat'l Guard Chevy

RacinRay88

Hey all, this is a little misleading because this is a Snap-tite kit. its the only COT nascar kits available right now. It is a great step in the right direction for us Nascar guys though i just hope they come out with glue kits and these aftermarket companies start coming out with more decals. i did this build just like the manual said, nothing fancy this time... just testing out the waters with this one. i might buy another one and scratch build most of it or just start from scratch on this one since nothing is glued haha! the pictures should be pretty self explanitory... the decals were junk though. next time i will purchase aftermarket decals cause' these did not want to move once they were applied. tore a few that way. any questions just ask!

5016813128_83423009cd_z.jpg

5016816050_c511c1f9fb_z.jpg

5016819196_f6ac8c50dc_z.jpg

5016216295_50e8044878_z.jpg

5016217697_57b93fa4b9.jpg

5016221329_e14941aae3_z.jpg

5016224583_b8b3dbe47d_z.jpg

5016833436_ea220bfd8e_z.jpg

5016836640_6ec635a53e_z.jpg

5016240217_0b5d5babfd_z.jpg

Thanks for sharing it, Ray. Even though they aren't glue kits, I was wondering how they built up. It looks like they will make a nice early year car. Now I wonder how many years we'll have to wait for a corrected rear spoiler! B);):)

I like how AMT decided to include both stickers and decals...

Look again, Steve! I thought that at first, too, but if you look close, the AMP decals are the sub sponsor decals. These bodies come prepainted with the National Guard already on them.

• 2 months later...

Before anyone else has problems with the "stickers" there is a little trick that I learned while working in a sign shop, lightly spray a mixture of dish soap & water (just a few drops of the soap, just enough to help break the surface tension) on the body before placing the stickers, this will allow you to shift them if needed, then carefully with a dry cloth while holding one end of the sticker wipe or blot the excess water mixture away. After these finish drying, they will appear to be almost painted on, this allows you to also get any air bubbles out from beneath them, as this is a real problem with stickers.

Edited by horsepower

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish Revell or AMT would just come out with blank Nascars and let the decal companies have fun. Less licensing for the companies and cheaper too.

They both tried that when Slixx was still making NASCAR decals back in the late 90s. I think my local LHSs still have some in stock!

They both tried that when Slixx was still making NASCAR decals back in the late 90s. I think my local LHSs still have some in stock!

The problem was the "Donor kit" was so expensive at the time the same price as a licensed kit. It wasn't economical to buy. Just like the stupid engine kits Revell put out a couple years ago. A Great idea that people actually wanted but horrible execution led to low sales.

Edited by ra7c7er

I just received Tony Stewart's Burger King decal set for the COT from Mike's Decals and it looks good. That would solve the decal issues with this kit. I don't know if there are any for Junior's car, though. As far as donor kits go Mike carries quite a few of those, all at a reasonable price. I was quite pleased with my transaction. I am glad to see the Car of Tomorrow (or as I call it, "NASCAR's Edsel) is fading into the sunset.