Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF what it is and how do you use it

davyou5

Hello all,

I have been reading up on many topics and tips and tricks for hours! I have been following the back to the basics topic for modelers as a whole, My new question here is What is BMF, How does it work, and is there just the chrome foil color to it or can you get it in a variety of colors?

BMF is Bare Metal Foil, it's an adhesive backed thin foil sheet that can be carefully cut and applied to a model car's trim to simulate chrome trim, basically. It is available in different varieties, such as:

Chrome, Ultra Brite Chrome, Black Chrome (for modern cars with black trim instead of chrome), Gold, Matte Aluminum, and Copper.

Some sheets are harder to work with than others (Black Chrome can be a bit tricky for instance), and with a little time and patience, you can add a nice level of detail to any model car, even diecast cars. Basically, it is easier to cut a piece that is slightly oversized compared to the part you want to cover. Carefully peel the foil from the backing paper (make sure your hands are clean of any grease, you can use a clean, sharp Xacto blade to help lift the foil off the paper), and carefully lay it on the part you want to cover. You can use a Q-tip to carefully smooth out any wrinkles in the foil, and to help it stick to contours. You can apply it to bare plastic or a clean, painted surface (some people apply it before they clear coat a model to keep it from peeling up over the years). Once you have it applied, take a sharp, clean Xacto blade and slowly & carefully trim off the excess (make sure to keep the blade at slight angle so it doesn't cut too deep, you don't really need to apply too much pressure since the foil is so thin). If you mess up a little, don't worry, you can peel off the foil easily and try again. If there is a little bit of adhesive residue left on the paint, it can easily be cleaned off with just a little bit of Windex, or some Dawn dish soap in warm water on a clean rag (don't rub too hard). After you have the foil applied, make sure to clean and polish the model to remove any fingerprints, and then upload a pic to show us your completed model :)

Also, here is the BMF website, it can provide some more helpful tips too of course lol:

Bare-Metal Foil

Many of us have had difficulty using their product with the exception of their original Chrome BMF. Just beware if you have a problem getting the black BMF to stick, try instead to spray a section of a chrome BMF sheet with your favorite satin black paint.

:o

True that, but since they can't, at least this stuff will work!!

On that note, I have to give a huge "shout out" to Microscale Industries. Their products have solved many a modeling problem for me over the years.

Here's a list of what I use, (& swear by), from them:

1-Micro-Set Decal Solvent, (used 1st in the decaling process)

2-Micro-Sol Decal Solvent, (used 2nd in the decaling process)

3-Micro-Mask Liquid Masking Tape, (useful for masking off sections for applying other coats of paint, especially useful on painting part of a chrome piece)

4-Micro Kristal Klear, (great clear parts adhesive)

5-Micro Liquid Decal Film, (nvaluable on old decals to keep them from being destroyed in the water)

6-Their solid color decal sheets

The link to the home page of their site:

http://www.microscale.com/

If your local hobby shop or Hobbytown USA doesn't carry their great products, I recommend ordering them direct. I know Hobby Lobby won't carry them, so those, (or an online vendor that carries their stuff), are your best choices.

Try anything they make, you won't be disappointed. I know, I've used their products for years!

:unsure:

The check's in the mail... :o

Personally, I've never had much luck with Bare-Metal. I find it's too fragile and I have a devil of a time getting it to cooperate.

I recently tried the Micro-Scale foil adhesive on kitchen foil and had pretty good results with it. It took a few tries to get used to it but it works well, especially if you want to put small pices of foil on things like scripts prior to painting. You can foil all your trim prior and then buff the paint off with an eraser or fine sanding cloths while wet-sanding the body.

Charlie Larkin

I really like BMF. It's the difference between building a toy, vs. a scale model. Trimming it along an edge can be tricky, but every now and then, when doing a long thin trim with parrallel edges such as a side moulding, I just cut a length to width, and apply it like a pinstripe tape.

"Regular" BMF works... it's the "Black Chrome" we're talking about, and it doesn't stick.

Oh, ok sorry. I haven't tried the black chrome yet. I was going to order a sheet, but now it's a good thing to know it doesn't work. I'll just spray a regular BMF sheet with satin black then.

Oh, ok sorry. I haven't tried the black chrome yet. I was going to order a sheet, but now it's a good thing to know it doesn't work. I'll just spray a regular BMF sheet with satin black then.

They recently reworked their "regular" chrome foil... the new stuff works well. I don't know, however, if they've fixed the black chrome problems. The last time I used the black chrome, it was worthless... wouldn't stick at all. Maybe they have a "new and improved" black chrome now, but if so, I haven't heard about it.

I use BMF on everything. My trick on the chrome and ultra chrome is to polish it with metal polish first. I do the whole sheet. It really makes it shine and also prevents the foil from dulling after its applied.

I also second the use of the Microscale adhesive. Great stuff!