Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seat Belt help

Gang, I am trying to make heads or tails of Detail Master's PE Racing harness. The instructions have handy templates for cutting the belts (marked A-D) but they failed to say which goes to which buckle.

seatbelts.jpg

Can any body match up the numbers in this photo with the letters in the instructions? Is there #8 and #9?

beltexp.jpg

I think that "C", the one with the rounded end, goes with #6. But that is a guess.

Thanks in advance,

John

I had to laugh when I read this one. I spent at least an hour trying to figure out how that set went together.

I think you are missing a part of the instructions.

I can tell you this much from memory.

The short pieces all loop though the adjusters and have buckles on the ends.

The trick is getting two section of belt threaded correctly into the adjusters. One section of belt just loops through, then fold over and glues. The other actually threads through. It's a real pain in the butt, but the results can be worth the effort.

Beltsfinal-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Or you can get some pretty decent photo etched units from Eduard, one of the shops I visit from time to time had 'em and I grabbed 'em. Not too bad...

Are the ones from Eduard assembled or does the builder have to assemble them? What are the belts made of in the Eduard sets?

Are the ones from Eduard assembled or does the builder have to assemble them? What are the belts made of in the Eduard sets?

I believe they are all PE,including the belt material.There is another version by a company that I can't recall the name of that makes a belt set entirely of resin(flexible) but I only saw them in 1/32 scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Gang, I bit the bullet this weekend and "just did it". Here is what I figured out:

seatbelts2.jpg

beltexpfinal.jpg

Also, because visualizing can be difficult sometimes I sketched out the why I believe the straps go through the buckles:

seatbelts1.jpg

Keep in mind, the belt widths are not drawn to scale and buckles are not drawn exactly as they are in the set. So the very thin "B" belt is just simplified drawing. Also keep in mind this diagram is based on the buckles that come with this particular set of Detail Master PE belts, not other brands (though they might be the same).

Hope this helps someone... it sure would have helped me last weekend.

John

Edited by coopdad