Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tell me what you think.

I am new here and have posted one other time. I need to give some background so you guys know where this will be coming from.

I am a Police Officer in the City of Abilene,TX. I am currently assigned as an S.R.O. (School Resource Officer) at our school districts discipline school.

I prefer to build the truck models but have dabbled in all types. I have noticed that the crew here in the truck forum is fairly honest and straight forward. I am attaching a proposal that was given to my admin. for a program to hopefully steer some of my students in the right direction of life. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Edited by txdieseldog

sounds like a good plan, have they discussed financing. the purchasing of the kits ,paint,glue.etc. type of builds large trucks built as teams.or cars ,planes, ships on an individual level? keep us updated on how this program progresses.Ralph

Thanks for the reply Ralph. We are looking at business "scholarships" for some, if not most of these kids due to their background. Our fist category will be a classic car and then we will survey the kids for future choices. Up to me, we'd start with a big rig. The experience that these kids have though is slight to none. We need to start slow and get their interest going.

Barry

when you get the program together let everyone on here know ,iam sure there are some people on here that might contribute a couple of kits or supplies. i am sure i have a few i can spare.Ralph

Thanks again Ralph. I hope to have the ball rolling by mid-next week. Promo pic's will be added as well as student entries.

Barry

I am new here and have posted one other time. I need to give some background so you guys know where this will be coming from.

I am a Police Officer in the City of Abilene,TX. I am currently assigned as an S.R.O. (School Resource Officer) at our school districts discipline school.

I prefer to build the truck models but have dabbled in all types. I have noticed that the crew here in the truck forum is fairly honest and straight forward. I am attaching a proposal that was given to my admin. for a program to hopefully steer some of my students in the right direction of life. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Hello Barry

This is an excellent idea. The promotion of our hobby is best done trough our schools. Teaching our youth the patience of building models, using their imagination in preparing models when they think outside the box, and devellop manual skills.

However I would suggest that the format be not a contest but more and model show having the public judge the models presented. Having a show format brings all the modellers to a friendly meet and is much more open to discussion between modellers and the best way to share building tips and techniques.

Contest on the other end, will less open to conversations as one will try to keep secret certain tips and technique from others in order to keep the edge he has develloped as he has the better model. Mind you not all modellers are like this but I did see this at model contests.

This is my experience of 20 years attending model shows and contests.

Hope this helps. Daniel Gailloux

hey barry you have a great idea, biulding models will help them in more ways than 1 for sure. i wish the best of luck to you and the students. right now all i have / biuld is 1/25 trucks, i will definately pass a few kits your way when your ready for them. i tried to bring up the link but im not very good on computor yet so i couldnt figure out how to, lol.

dennis

In response to Carl's request I am placing my home address here. However, please be mindful of the discretion that I prefer as a Peace Officer. If you send something to me, please advise me either on a reply post here, private message in the forum, or an e-mail. (which I will post also) In general, our profession requires an alertness or suspicion that others may not be used to. A box coming in the mail that when my wife is asked and she had not ordered from evilbay, may not result in the proper attention. So please, just give me a heads up if something is coming. By using my home address there will be someone there on the weekend as well, which is not the case for my school office. And guys, thank you so very much for the response and support on this. I hope this will be a possitive aspect of a young students life, as well as the hobby we all so dearly enjoy.

Home address: 708 County Rd. 401

Merkel, TX 79536

Work E-mail: barry.bond@abileneisd.org

Home E-mail: merkelbonds@cmaaccess.net

Thanks again

Barry

Hello Barry

This is an excellent idea. The promotion of our hobby is best done trough our schools. Teaching our youth the patience of building models, using their imagination in preparing models when they think outside the box, and devellop manual skills.

However I would suggest that the format be not a contest but more and model show having the public judge the models presented. Having a show format brings all the modellers to a friendly meet and is much more open to discussion between modellers and the best way to share building tips and techniques.

Contest on the other end, will less open to conversations as one will try to keep secret certain tips and technique from others in order to keep the edge he has develloped as he has the better model. Mind you not all modellers are like this but I did see this at model contests.

This is my experience of 20 years attending model shows and contests.

Hope this helps. Daniel Gailloux

Daniel, I agree with the car show except, these are kids that are either held back or have dropped out and someone or something has persuaded them to get into the campus where this will start in order to catch up. We are taking baby steps. For the most part they won't even talk to the uniform. However, they will be more than happy to try their best to whoop my hiny at almost anything. If the contest was for throwing a cow patty the farthest.....these kids would be all for it. (as long as I am the one to beat) The hopes are this; on round two or three when one of these kids has stayed with the program, they realize that not only are the school disciplines no longer an issue but they have found a fun and exciting hobby to continue farther into their lives. Then we can plug them into a model club or for that matter push them to start the club and we can get the experts and the mentors in for the tips and guidance. Hope my soap box didn't get too high. I do appreciate your input.

Thanks

Barry

Myself and maybe the company I work for would be interested in helping however I could.

I like the plan.

Mark, saw your reply last night but have been so busy with things. I appreciated your support. I should have details by this same time next week. We have the "Crime Stoppers State Conference" for TX here next week and I will be busier than ever. Up at 6 bed by 11. But we are pushing hard to get everything ready. I will start pictures soon.

Barry

This is a great thing that you're doing. Any time that law enforcement and the community, especially the youth, can do things together, bonds will be built. The Police in my hometown made a point of making friends with the youth. They'd come around and help us work on cars during their off time, and would stop by to see what we're working on when they were on duty. Their uniforms were not threatening to us, because we got to see them both on duty and off. They'd stop by our 'hangouts' and 'shoot the breeze' with us, often inviting one of us to ride around with them for a few minutes. We understood what was involved in their job, and had an increased respect for them. What you're doing will make a difference.

Great idea,Maybe you can keep the kids off the Street's.what is the age range of the kids.

Clayton, right now it will be at the school mentioned whitch is high end middle schooler that should be in high school up through seniors.

After we get things off the ground here we hope stretch it to the regular campuses as well. Any age after that.

Barry

Clayton, right now it will be at the school mentioned whitch is high end middle schooler that should be in high school up through seniors.

After we get things off the ground here we hope stretch it to the regular campuses as well. Any age after that.

Barry

Oh OK

just wondering any new updates on the program and if and when you want the models sent to you.

Ralph, if your are sending models, go right ahead. I just cleared out a lot of storage for incoming boxes. Hopefully a date will be set this week and we will pitch it to the students to get the show on the road. Thanks for the support.

Barry

I need to update you guys. The model contest is a GO. I will pitch the idea to the kids this friday a.m. School maint. has aquired me 12 shelves that were put inside a lighted and lockable display cabinet. I pitched it to my Chief and he has agreed to be an honorary judge to show these kids how much we care. The entry acceptance will be from now until 9:00a.m. Fri., Dec. 3rd. Judging will take place throughout that next week until Thurs. the 9th with awards on the 10th. Thanks for the input and support and pics will soon follow. Oh, and first contest will be classic car/truck due to availability on kit variety with a survey in the application requesting their faves.

Thanks again.

Barry

Update number 2: The Woodson campus where we are piloting this program has approx. 88 students trying to get their credits back up to place them where they should be. Went to the campus with 25 copies of an application and the hopes of at least as many interested students. Turns out that I had to get extra copies and gave out approx. 40 apps. We are looking good so far. Almost half of the student body. Have a few young ladies that are gonna try and out do what I build but have the guys applying for the most part. Applications will trickle in next week and off we go!!!!! Got my work cut out for me.

Barry

Hi Barry, you are to be commended for your efforts withthese young people and I think that collectively, everyone here on the forum's hat is off to you and to those who support and encourage this program! Now if only this idea would spread to other educational facilities and other law enforcement agencies would pick up on it. If you just touch and change ONE young life and save that youngster from a life of drugs or worse, then all of your efforts are worthwhile. Man by his very nature is creative and wired to build and create - and this program will sow some good seeds I would think and you will make a difference somewhere, somehow.

If you are doing a contest, how would the idea of a public display go over - say in a mall? I would think that given the cause, you'd not have any trouble getting a local mall to give you some floor space and provide you with tables and a lot of what you would need to create a display. For many of the kids at least, it would really give them a sense of accomplishment and some pride in what they create when it is out there for the public to look at. You could do as in a real car show and hand out ballots and let the public vote on different categories and award some kind of trpohies or ribbons to the winners. If each youngster was to receive some sort of plaque or something to acknowledge his/her efforts - it would help to nurture what has been started. Perhaps some of the guys here would be willing to contribute in some way towards this??? I'll email you privately. It is MOST gratifying to read your posts.. and those of the people who have responded to the idea here. Thank you... I wish the local RCMP detachment here would do something like this for the kids in this town. B):P:)

Barry - maybe you could post something about this in the "General" forum.. you'll have much more exposure there I would think.. just an idea.. B):):)

Gary, Thanks for your comments and ideas on the other repiy!!! Plus, I would love to just copy this over to the general forum and I thought I saw that done from another member. However, I am at a loss. Any tips? Is there a way to just connect the two?

Barry