Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Peterbilt short logger

Here is the latest log truck in my fleet, number 13 I think. I used the original issue California Hauler after AMT changed from the little window cab to the newer one. It went together well compared to all the reissues of it through the years. I changed out the rear airbag suspension for a Hendrickson unit. The rims are from AITM. I moved the suspension back bast the rear of the original frame and added 9' to lengthen it. The two bunks are from a couple of AMT Peerless log trailer kits along with the cab guard. I changed out the headlights with single units from the parts box, along with a narrow Pete bumper from an earlier issue California Hauler. I made the artwork for the door logos on Auto Cad and used paint to color them in. The truck is painted for Redwood Construction Company, Arcata, California. They used to have a huge fleet of Peterbilts in northern California, but are now no more. I believe they went out in the late 80's. I also made the Peerless logos, and Peterbilt emblems on the hood, since the kit's were totally unusable. Its painted flat white, and then the cab and hood were masked off and the rest was sprayed Tamiya Coral Blue.

The three axle trailer has a scratch built frame, front suspension, and reach. I used a tandem Peerless suspension from AMT for the rear. The bunks were taken from a couple of AMT kits also, but modified for Cheese blocks for carrying one log loads, which were common around here when these trucks were around. I built this trailer and the one for the Earlier posted White Freightliner at the same time.

P1010093-1.jpg

P1010095-1.jpg

P1010094-1.jpg

P1010096-1.jpg

P1010098.jpg

P1010099.jpg

P1010097-1.jpg

Cheers:

Bill