Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '57 Chevy

W-409

I got this for free while back. It's Monogram's '57 Chevy Bel Air with 283'' SBC. I'm building it like 70's Hot Rod style so I put rear end high and frontend will be quite low... Then it looks right. Wheels are going to be those, came with the kit; 5 spoke chrome wheels with Good Year tires. I'm not sure, am I building it to BoxStock or am I adding some details to it. This Monogram kit is not so great that I can build it box stock too but still I'm not sure... Fuel Injection system is good for this and some speed/custom parts. Lots of chrome will added to this.

Body is painted with Revell enamel #30 red. It's painted by Badger 250 Spray gun. That's very good spray gun, I think and it's quite easy to use... There is NO polishing, clear or something. It's just waxed. Thank you for looking, comments welcome!

PA310734.jpg

PA310735.jpg

PA310736.jpg

Interior is painted by Revell red and white. I used no tape to help the paining progress, so I have to make it a little better yet... Front seat is now painted by red but it need just more white...

PA310727.jpg

Chassis is first painted by Revell mattblack, then I painted the frame gloss black, then exhaust pipes by Revell silver. No tape used with this either... Everything was molded to one piece, that's very stupid, I think.

PA310725.jpg

PA310732.jpg

PA310733.jpg

This system was molded to one part too. It wasn't so tricky to paint but it would be better...

PA310731.jpg

Continues soon, hopefully...

Edited by W-409

Thanks, Len! This is great kit! I'm not going to build it box stock, I must enter some details there... Now it has been other things, like 1:1 car, it takes lots of time from these, but I try to continue this one pretty soon.

Here is just a little update to you. I installed the rear axle system to place, for a good 70's style Hot Rod stance, I used those little pieces to make rear end higher. Now it will be as high as it is in my Gasser Nomad. Frontend will be on normal height. I also installed brake lines to rear wheels, I must only install that line between rear tube and the master cylinder. Now it's ready for some front axle systems and engine. I got some material to plug wires on saturday (November 6th), when it is model car show in Turku, Finland... :) This continues soon, I think if I have any time to build.

PB030748.jpg

PB030749.jpg

Comments welcome...

Thank you John and David! Today I did some small things. I made fan wings thinner... They were too thick originally... I used that hobby knife firts, then I used 120 sanpaper to make them a little smoother. Then I used file to make them ready. Now it's looking much better. I also took the steering wheel off from the tubes, but that part needed some putty.

PB040752.jpg

PB040753.jpg

PB040756.jpg

Comments are of course welcome... :(

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Jordan! I like the red color on it too, and paintjob is pretty good also. :P

Today I got some more work done with this one. I painted center of those wheels by black. Also I painted tire textes, but they are not looking so good. I mean that they would be lots of better... But anyways, those wheels and tires are fitting to this car very well, and with the raised rear end it looks very good. Just like here in Finland on the late 70's or early 80's... In the picture, there are only two of them, but they all are ready.

Next, I built engine little. I glued the fan belt to the engine. It wasn't so easy, as I thought, because that Fuel Injection System's hose was there, were that belt should go. Well, I got it glued, now that's not maybe 100% correct, but enough for me... Also I glued the headers to the engine. But it was hard to get engine test fitted, so I decided to glue that engine to frame. When it was there, I put those headers correctly, but that other one is badly, so I must make it little longer. Then just little painting and it's very good. More comes, when I get something to show.

Here in the pictures, body is just test fitted to its place. Looks pretty good, I think. ;)

PC190452.jpg

PC190453.jpg

PC190454.jpg

PC190455.jpg

PC190456.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

Thank you, guys! It's nice to hear some positive comments, I must say that I like this one too. This will look good with "Black Widow" Chevy... Can't get good looking outdoor pictures, because it's 50cm snow here. :D

Edited by W-409

I got some more work done with this one... Front seat is painted and glued to interior floor. Also painted the dashboard by red, but it still needs some silver and black paint before I can glue it to place.

I made also ignition wires to the engine. I made them from Detail Master's wire. Here is a little tip, how I make them. I drilled one big hole to center of distributor. Normally is just glue nine spark plug caps (?)to distributor. Then I glue ignition wires to them and other spark plug caps to cylinder head. And just put those wires to place. But this time distributor was so small, that only way to get those wires to fit was to drill one big hole and glue those wires there.

Also this car is on four wheels. It was easy to get those tires fit, and stance looks very good I think. Nothing special to get that thing on four wheels, and it's great that all four tires are on the ground. I mean that for example left front tire isn't in air.

Just a few mockup pictures for you,

As you can see, hood still needs paint.

PC220475.jpg

PC220476.jpg

Ignition wires:

PC220477.jpg

PC220479.jpg

PC220480.jpg

Chassis is almost finished. Still needs some Coil Over shocks etc...

PC220481.jpg

Comments are very welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update to the dashboard! I have painted it long time ago with red and now it was time to paint that chromed part to silver. It went pretty well, and cauges are painted with gloss black. I also installed the dashboard to the interior. It went pretty well. Now it's time to paint other interior parts and chassis needs to get finished. I must also try to paint that hood finally, so this car is slowly getting closer to finish... But still lots of work before it.

P1200204.jpg

P1200205.jpg

Post comments, if you feel like it.

• 5 months later...

Long time with no any progress... This model is waiting for waxing again. I'll use a wax, which polishes at the same time, so I can say that paintjob is polished... But I don't have that wax yet. Interior could be also finished easily, maybe getting back to this build very soon. B)

• 4 weeks later...

This kit is really worth buying and building. It can be easily built curbside, but of course it's possible to make it look like detailed. Can't wait to see your project, Rob. This is getting there slowly but surely.

Not 1/12 scale, it's 1/24. I didn't find a picture from the boxart, but there's red car on the picture, raised rear end and five spoke wheels with Good Year tires. Great to hear that you have also one, but larger scale. When you have time to build it, I'd like to follow a topic of it. :rolleyes:;)