Model Cars Magazine Forum

acid tank trailer, corrosive tank trailer

hello all

I would like to begin construction of a tank trailer corrosive (acid), namely that no publisher has produced this mock trailer (AMT, Revell, Italeri)

For the wheel I would use a base tank trailer in AMT

The most difficult thing for me is to get the plan of this trailer, I would get the plan with all the steps I would reduce the scale of 1:25

At Home in France, we do not have this style of trailer, it is different for the French and European market.

If anyone can offer support, I'd be sold.

In advance thank you all

images10.jpg

slide_10.jpg

tank-a10.jpg

The AMT tanker trailer recently re-issued as a Texaco tanker should provide a good start. The tank will probably be too big, but will provide the undercarriage, top hatches, piping etc. Corrosives are much heavier than petrolium products so they have smaller diameter tanks.

The US department of Transportation classifies that style of tanker as a DOT412, TC412, SCT-312, MC312 or TC312. I don't know who builds them, but using those terms should help you find photos of the trailers, maybe even some good line drawings.

I've built two of these.

You can use either the Beall or the Fruehauf tanker kits for the donor.

I used plain ole PVC pipe 2.5 inch and stripe styrene for the gussets. Measure the circumfrence of the barrel for the length of the strip needed for each gusset. Glue just the end of each strip to the barrel and allow to dry over night. The next day wrap the strip around the barrel and use a hose clamp to hold it in place while the glue dries. leave that clamp on for a day or so. This is the important part. When you take the clamp(s) off use some heat and warm up the gussets you made using the strips. This removes all stress from the strip styrene. If you don't they'll crack. You can use a heat gun,butane fueled torch,propane torch. A hair dryer won't get the job done.

Here's a Brenner tanker. This one got damaged.

http://www.flickr.co...57604811863701/

And a Fruehauf.

http://www.flickr.co...57603845360987/

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

I thought about using a paper towel tube. seal it with primer and make the ends from flat sheet.Guess I could use PVC. some time I like seeing just what I can do with what I have laying around the house. The 2ED idea I had was too wrap the tube with flat sheet and maybe placing it in a little bigger tube or clamps soaking in hot water,doing the same with the gussets.If your going to use the PVC tube how about coupler joint's and slicing them in thin strips.Has that been tried?

Edited by clayton

I'm thinking way back but remember an article on building such a tanker. I'm thinking maybe in lou kroarc (sp) book. I'll see if I can find the article and scan it. Basically you wil find the parts you need in a plastruct catalog look for the tube,tank ends and tube rings, IIRC you will find valve assemblies, and handles also. A trailer kit of your choice will supply the suspension to fit your needs.

the first truck i drove all on my own was a 84' pete with a 63" walk in pullin a tanker just like that with 3600 gallons of sulfuric acid from grants new mexico to blanding utah. dad drove for CMS ( chemical marketing services ) out of tulsa ok, ........ it was the day after my THIRTEENTH birthday. WOW thats bringin back some memories!!!

dennis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello

excuse me for my bad english

After painting the tank, I can attack the rear, I was waiting for parts from the USA (Fender), 15 days to arrive in France, but also some parts in Evergreen, advancement is long enough, because I do not have all the steps and my job takes me a lot of my time, I only have the weekend to work, but I'll get there !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

img_3614.jpg

img_3615.jpg

img_3616.jpg

No worries, Your English is very good, I guarantee that your English is better than my French! :(

This is looking great! Very inspiring, I've been thinking about building a similar trailer and I am looking forward to seeing the finished model!

Edited by Wagoneer81