Model Cars Magazine Forum

How I build dioramas.

JohnReid

• 3 weeks later...

Now it is time to finish the garage facade.Brick ,wood, stone ? siding that runs vertically or horizontally ? Placement of doors,windows,maybe a sign of some kind.Color? the usual barn gray or something more colorful? How old,worn and weathered should it look ? Should I use the old,burned out Ford T and where should I put it? The same old question what to leave in and what to leave out?

I want the airplane/returning aviator to be the focus of attention and the rest the supporting cast.I don't want anything too fancy here.

Why I chose to stop here.

I think that with the installation of the pilots seat and control wheel that this would be as good a time as any to call it quits on the airplane.Leaving it unfinished is quite appropriate in this case as most (if not all) backyard flyers ended up this way.In fact few probably even reached this stage.

I can easily see a young man getting involved with all the enthusiasm surrounding aviation at the time.Most probably never even thought beyond the carpentry part of the build.Any somewhat skilled carpenter could build the wings and the basic frame from plans that were available at the time.Engines were also available but costly, that is why I chose the used Ford.Props and wheels could be made or purchased as well.

I can just see our young aviator sitting in the pilots seat with the control wheel in hand taking many an imaginary flight around his backyard.For some it was enough ,others got lost along the way long even before this stage and still others went on to achieve their dreams.Aviation owes a lot to those dreamers.

Final Assembly

OK so this is where I am now.The dio looks like this except the airplane is finished and ready for installation, along with the Model T.The garage roof,and the fencing will be put back on during final assembly.

Now I have to break the diorama down into its separate modules and finish each one at a time in such a way that they will still will be able to be separated when the diorama is completely finished.This will make it much easier to transport as well as maintain at the museum.For lighting I plan on using LED's that will be easily accessible through the rear panel.

It will be awhile now before I see this all back together again !

This will be Phase 1,the first part to be finished.I will have ready access to all the phases of the build as I go along.I planned it this way so I can use each phase as a photographic background for other diorama stories before I put it all back together to become the Backyard Flyer again.

I want to do a gangster series using models of old cars,figures etc...as well as some old classics.Should be fun!