Model Cars Magazine Forum

How I build dioramas.

JohnReid

It's amazing how just adding those garden fences has made this dio come alive. When you add more fencing and landscaping, etc. it will really "POP"!

Forgive me, if I missed it in a previous post, but is this 1/32 scale? The rusty car looks like it may be an early Highway Pioneers/Gowland/Revell 1/32 scale Model T. If not, what is it?

Tony

It's amazing how just adding those garden fences has made this dio come alive. When you add more fencing and landscaping, etc. it will really "POP"!

Forgive me, if I missed it in a previous post, but is this 1/32 scale? The rusty car looks like it may be an early Highway Pioneers/Gowland/Revell 1/32 scale Model T. If not, what is it?

Tony

Hi Tony ! it is actually 1/16th scale.If I remember correctly the car is Academy.Glad you like my stuff!

Before I go much further I will have to decide about the eves trough (gutter) and downspout in the far corner,which will probably lead to a rainbarrell of some kind.

The next step will be to put a little of last years dead foliage along the boardwalk/facade.After some experimentation I decided to use an old bristle floor brush for this.

1/16th!!!! WOW, this thing must be huge! With all that wood framing it must weigh a ton. No wonder you've built it in sections.

Which museum will it go to when it's finished? I assume it will be one in Montreal or maybe in Ottawa?

Tony

1/16th!!!! WOW, this thing must be huge! With all that wood framing it must weigh a ton. No wonder you've built it in sections.

Which museum will it go to when it's finished? I assume it will be one in Montreal or maybe in Ottawa?

Tony

Hi Tony ! it is going to the CAM in Ottawa.

Hi John. I just read back through this thread and see I could have answered my own questions! Sorry about that!

But one little thought...... if this is set in the post WW1 era (1918 - 1920). The car looks like it's approximately 1911 to 1915 vintage, so probably wouldn't be a rusted out hulk by the time of the dio. Unless of course it had caught fire and burnt out! Maybe you already explained this and I missed it in the text. If it had burnt out there would be a considerable amount of fire related debris around the car, and the fence would show signs of either fire damage or repair. If it had been left for the owner's return from the war, it probably would have been in the garage or, at least covered over with a tarp.

I hope I'm not being too picky and I only mention this because the dio is going to a National museum, so a little detail like this may be important. It's a great little item to catch people's attention, but without an explanation of how it got there (especially with the recent tire tracks) it might also raise a few eyebrows?

Just a thought.

Tony

Hi John. I just read back through this thread and see I could have answered my own questions! Sorry about that!

But one little thought...... if this is set in the post WW1 era (1918 - 1920). The car looks like it's approximately 1911 to 1915 vintage, so probably wouldn't be a rusted out hulk by the time of the dio. Unless of course it had caught fire and burnt out! Maybe you already explained this and I missed it in the text. If it had burnt out there would be a considerable amount of fire related debris around the car, and the fence would show signs of either fire damage or repair. If it had been left for the owner's return from the war, it probably would have been in the garage or, at least covered over with a tarp.

I hope I'm not being too picky and I only mention this because the dio is going to a National museum, so a little detail like this may be important. It's a great little item to catch people's attention, but without an explanation of how it got there (especially with the recent tire tracks) it might also raise a few eyebrows?

Just a thought.

Tony

Hi Tony ! Thanks for taking the time to do this for me ! Yes,it is meant to be a burned out wreck that was just dumped there.Actually it is beyond the garage or tarp stage and is ready for the garbage.Maybe his family thought it would bring him bad luck if they just threw it out.Thanks for pointing out the recent tire tracks,I can remedy this with a little tall grass.Cheers ! John.

Up until this point nothing has been permanently installed,even the frame is held together with only removable screws.Well as they say in flying I have reached the point of no return and now I must start the final process,from here on in there is no going back.I keep procrastinating trying to think if there is something that I have overlooked completely. Believe me after looking at something for so long the obvious sometimes completely escapes me.If you guys see something that doesn't look right please advise me now.

When is this heading to CAM? I've been meaning to get there anyways, so I'd really like to see this in person.

Looks great, John!

Hi Tony ! from what I understand one is already on display at the CAM in the lobby under the airplane hanging from the ceiling ,I am told.The rest should be on display by June this year.If you go please take a pic for me . Cheers ! John.

After pondering the overall color for the row house trim I decided on that good old standby neutral gray .I figured the landlord would be OK with their tenants painting their individual units trim different colors.This is a Victorian house in the middle of the city and gray to me would be low maintenance as well.From the art point of view, all of this is really just window dressing for the main subject ,the airplane and the returning airman's relationship to it ,so subtlety really is the name of the game when framing the subject.

Hi Tony ! from what I understand one is already on display at the CAM in the lobby under the airplane hanging from the ceiling ,I am told.The rest should be on display by June this year.If you go please take a pic for me . Cheers ! John.

I will, for sure!

This is actually an unintended but really cool effect.Using foamboard and watercolor paper has allowed for some pretty dramatic lighting effects.Notice the warm glow that the bricks take on is actually an effect of the interior lighting.You have to be careful to properly diffuse the light but when done properly I kinda like it .

The Wash Tub.

Now for a little change of pace.I find that standing for long periods finishing the roof is quite tiring on these old legs of mine so I will be doing two things at the same time,one standing up and the other sitting down.The roof and a wash tub.Actually it is an important part of this diorama as the washing hanging on the line adds a really interesting touch to the piece.

When building dioramas it is important to put your best effort into everything whether it is a shiny instrument panel or that nail in the wall behind the toilet in the WC.This is what really separates the men from the boys.Anyone can get really excited about something they really like to do but repetitive and sometimes boring work is also part of the game.