Model Cars Magazine Forum

back to building

its been a long time since i did any building and a few years ago, after talking with Dad, I decided to scratch build a gravel crusher I decided to model a Cederapids 555 Super comander which he had at one time and still has lots of the manuals and pictures that i could use for refrence. it has taken me 3 winters of work to get to this stage and then this spring I added a Mack Dm600 to pull it and give me some proper hight and dimensions.

The more i build, the more that I 'rebuild'. the hopper is in its second design as well as the Detroit 8v71 that is the power unit. and i think there will be more in the future.

After seeing some of the projects here i can tell that i have a long way to go but thanks to this site i have lots of ideas.

Rick.

every thing is scratch built ( except the truck, and the motor on the crusher.) its a detroit from an astro model.ive had a lot of trial and error in this but so far it has been a blast and even if i knew how much money i would have spent i think id still do it. just for the fact it gave me something to do on them cold winter days.

Wow! Super job on scratch building your Cedar Rapids. I like job you did on the hydaulic grizzley on the feed hopper and the return drum.

I would suggest that you maybe try using ribbon for the conveyor belting and elastic ribbon for the drive belts.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only modeler nutty enough to build a gravel crusher.

looking forward to seeing more pictures of this great model

Thanks

Carl

Edited by dptydawg

Wow! Super job on scratch building your Cedar Rapids. I like job you did on the hydaulic grizzley on the feed hopper and the return drum.

I would suggest that you maybe try using ribbon for the conveyor belting and elastic ribbon for the drive belts.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only modeler nutty enough to build a gravel crusher.

looking forward to seeing more pictures of this great model

Thanks

Carl

I was thinking of using pinstriping. I picked up a spool of it at the hobby shop with all six different sizes of black stripe. If i need too, i will double it or overlay it several times for a thicker 'belt' I do like the idea of a ribbon for the convayer belts though, that could save a lot of problems dowm the line.

Thanks.