Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT mustang 1967 modified

cazxr2

Hello all I'm after some ideas at the moment. You may have seen wrx is near completion so it was time for the "what to build next raffle" . This is how I get choose the next kit to build, I have 39 unbuilt kits and have then numbered 1-39, so I put all the numbers into a hat and my lovely wife(vicki) picks a number out the hat and goes and finds the corresponding kit. And here it is for this time it's the AMT fast and furious 1967 ford mustang from tokyo drift. The kit is picked but I havent chosen a style as I rarely got box stock. So if anybody has any ideas or if anybody has build this kit and has any pics or issues they had feel free to post on here. Thanks so much Craig

Ps here's the box

306d3e31.jpg

Edited by cazxr2

I have an idea now, my wife purchesed some clear gltter style nail varnish. And added it on top of a layer of black whitch looks smart. And gave me an idea. So back we went to the cosmetic shop to buy another nail varnish. So i could buy a bottle. I will put up a pic of the colour as soon as i get a pic of the nails.Im trying to find a motor to put in it and a set of "hoops" wheels for it. Im looking forward to building this one. :P

The kit is finally out the box lol. It's in primer I've ditched the idea of black and glitter going to save that for somthing else. Think with this I'm going to either go blue with the silver as pic a above is wicked like. Or I'm going to go candy red with White stripes. If anybody has any pics if the kit build feel free to post them here. Cheers and I promise there will be progress shots asap.

21b6d831.jpg

If you go to your LHS, they may have some brass rod and aluminum tubing. They can be used to do this.

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04757.jpg

image002.jpg

image001.jpg

I don't have a lhs near by. So I buy my supplies from the net. What sizes do I need to get?? If anybody could set up links to what I need that would be very helpful. Thanks Craig

That kit has one of the nicest small-block Fords I've seen... It would be a shame to use that goofy looking Nissan 6 cylinder they included in the Tokyo Drift version. Just sayin'... :lol:

Not looked at the engine wise yet. But I would prefer the ford engine. Cheers

Painted matt black then quick coat of black through the spray gun. Getting a hang of it now. How does everybody like the idea of paint colour?

97cc0c84.jpg

ps sorry for the crappy photos just being lazy and using the iphone instead of the camera. :)

Edited by cazxr2

Well another change of plans with the paint it's just staying black and I will add the White stripe decals at a later date. Here she is with the optional wheels with the kit.

DSCF1509.jpg

Also thought as the trunk is opened it would give me the perfect time to scratch build a speaker box.

DSCF1511.jpg

This is just a quick mock up. Cheers Craig B)

started on the chassis, and while i was trying to put on the decals i wrecked the ones for the roof. :wacko: so no decals on the roof just the side? not sure if they will stay. And finished the engine. No pics of the engine as its drying. you guys are going to hate me tho, Ive gone with the nissan engine. pics to follow

DSCF1513.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

any comments welcome. :unsure:

Decals stick to a gloss surface best. I've had pretty good luck with spraying a gloss coat over the base color, applying the decals of choice, and then dull-coating the car, OVER the decals. That way you'll get the matte finish you're going for, and your decals won't lift. ;)

Mike