Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari California...Completed 

Guest Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Ok guys, after finishing up the Wrexxy & actually while I was awaiting paint/glue to dry on it, I decided to start on this Ferrari Cali'.

Now I know the purists might not like what I've done but hey... It's a model not a real Ferrari 

I doubt i'd ever do this to a real 1 . Originally I had it painted in Sky Blue but didn't like it enough, along with the fact I have so many other colours 

so i went with Testors Titanium for the Roof, rear diffuser etc & Hemi Orange for the body. I actually had this Hemi O made up for me by a local auto-paint supply store. I got them to add less silver metallic to the mix, as I always thought all the Hemi O paint I had ( testors ) had too much silver metallic in it 

Now the silver flakes can only be seen when the model is right in front of you 

Anyway the body has been wet sanded from 6000, 8000 & finally 12000 grit sanding cloth... Next stop clear coats 

Some of you may notice I filled/smoothed over the 2 body lines on both sides of the rear 1/4 panels, to give it a nicer cleaner look. I won't be doing any other mods other than adding some 20in Aoshima wheels. The kit's wheels are not to my liking & again Revell has failed to add sidewall detail to the tyres 

Ok here's some pics....

7b59ce70.jpg

81340735.jpg

c3343004.jpg

d34b17f2.jpg

Cheers Cliffo 

Edited by Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Thanks Paul ... I'll be putting some nice custom Aoshima 20in wheels on it, because the kit supplied tyre/rim combo' is just way too small to fill those wheelwells. It seem's that kit makers, like Revell & Tamiya are getting cheap & leaving out sidewall detail ( such as tyre manufacturer ) out & that's a big let down. It give's the appearance that the tyres are bald... If you use them of course . Thanks once again 

Cheers Cliffo 

Its not that the kit manufacturers are being cheap, its that the real tire manufacturers are being greedy. They are demanding more and more money for licensing fees. The kits are already expensive enough, adding more on in order to pay Goodyear and the others would make the kits that much more expensive. I agree that it is sad that we are now stuck with the generic tires we have in the newer kits, its better than paying $30 for the same kits we paid $15 for just a few years back.

Guest Sickfish

Yep I agree that the tyre makers are greedy & I guess it's lucky for after-market companies that can & do make really good wheel/tyre combinations avail' to us 

Here's a couple of pics with the Aoshima rims I'm using 

Cheers & thanks for the input guys 

6a4f8c15.jpg

df428943.jpg

Guest Sickfish

Ok guys, I got the body/hood clear coated with HOK 2 part Urethane, 3 coats all up. Left it to gas out for a couple of days & spent the better part of 3hrs, this morning, wet-sanding with 4000 through 12000 grit sanding cloth & then rubbed it all out with Meguiars Scratch-X  Next step will be waxing it all with Meguiars Next 2.0 wax 

Here's some pics...

e34a095f.jpg

e2b1f289.jpg

a3889d76.jpg

e330d0fc.jpg

f57e45be.jpg

Cheers, Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

Well I got home after work tonight & spent an hour or so waxing everything... Think I'm done & ready to start putting the rest of the build together 

Here's some final pics...

67d67d7a.jpg

da6b7dc1.jpg

3892e7b2.jpg

17d14645.jpg

dcade0c9.jpg

13a6cd51.jpg

f82d4d34.jpg

ffc6b258.jpg

3a31383c.jpg

411d304b.jpg

Cheers Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

Thanks Dav'  I've been on a long sabatical, from the hobby, since earlier this year. I've only been building Mopars for the last dozen odd years & needed to kickstart my modelling enthusiasm again with something other than a Mopar. I've just completed a quick build of an 07 Wrx & I've had this California kit in my stash for awhile so I thought I'd give it a go  I also have another build going as well, an 06 Dodge Charger Superbee... I couldn't help myself... I  my Mopars way too much  I'll get that posted here too, when I've got some decent progress to show  As far as the Cali' goe's, I got the interior sprayed , before I had to leave for work this afternoon, so i'll be able to post more progress pics by tommorrow 

Thanks for your positive compliments on the paintwork mate... I do pride myself on good paint jobs 

Cheers Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

Thankyou Tony  Yep i told the guy at the autopaint store to put less silver in the mix because the paint was for models & it look's like it's a great balance for 1:24/1:25 scale 

Cheers Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

Ok guys here's some updated pics...

Got chassis together, engine in ( not finished yet ) & wheels on...

f47fab45.jpg

0264cc36.jpg

60f1392d.jpg

292d1ec5.jpg

Won't be long now... Just waiting for parts to dry etc

Cheers Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

Well guys I've pretty much got the Cali' under wraps  Just have to add the rear license plate & bootlid brake-light & it's finished  I'll try to get some good outdoor pics tommorrow if the Sun play's ball 

Cheers Cliffo 

c042d600.jpg

1817330d.jpg

d594ee8a.jpg

2c5670af.jpg

260f8cb7.jpg

3dff4432.jpg

80cb503a.jpg