Model Cars Magazine Forum

which kits have a V8 Diesel in it? semi not pickup

I am looking to find out what kits come with a V8 diesel? Like the Detroit V8 or any others I am wanting them for a couple of projects I am working on. Any aftermarket sources also would help.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by Tim H

Here's a list as I remember. I will expand Scott's entries with the engines they include.

AMT Peterbilt 352-Detroit Diesel 8v-71

Original issue(kit T500) AMT Peterbilt 359("Little Window cab")-8v-71. Also T522, the original issue Pete wrecker.

AMT Kenworth K100 Aerodyne kits including the Tyrone Malone Hauler trucks-8v-92T(might be an 8v-71 with a turbo. The engine seems a bit small for a 92 series)

AMT GMC Astro/Chevy Titan-DD 8V-71

AMT GMC General/Chevy Bison-8v-92

All AMT Ford Louisville kits-CAT 3208

All Revell AG Kenworth W900 kits including the dump truck, wrecker, and Austrailian version-CAT 3408

Ertl International 4270-Cummins V903

Ertl International 4300-International V800

Ertl International 4070A and Transtar II-Detroit Diesel 8v-71

All Ertl International Paystars-International V800

Ertl International "S" Series trucks F2674/S 2575-International V800

Ertl Mack DM 800-Mack V8

All 3 Monogram 1/16 trucks-Cat 3408

Soukraut has a really nice 12V-71 DD. It's a great casting.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Thats quite a comprehensive list of V8 engines. There are a lot more than you first think of. It would be great if we had a sort of spread sheet which listed all engines, transmissions, suspensions etc and where you can get them from. But I don't know how we could get that put together on the forum.

Ray,

I put the Sourkraut 12V71 DD in my WF Heavy Hauler. Yes it is good!

Dave

Thats quite a comprehensive list of V8 engines. There are a lot more than you first think of. It would be great if we had a sort of spread sheet which listed all engines, transmissions, suspensions etc and where you can get them from. But I don't know how we could get that put together on the forum.

Ray,

I put the Sourkraut 12V71 DD in my WF Heavy Hauler. Yes it is good!

Dave

Someone did do that with engines, and not just trucks pretty much everything that has been done in a kit. Unfortunately their website has been down for sometime now, there was a lot of good info saved there.

If people want to put togther a list of all that stuff I'd be willing to organize it and add it to my website. I have a lot of the engine info, I copied from the website I mentioned, but I'm sure there are some not listed since it was mostly a car site. I have none of the transmission, suspension info.

The engine in the AMT Kenworth Aerodyne is a 8V71T.

I only read that recently, so that's why I threw it in there, although the box on some re-issues mentions an 8V92. I have the MMTA engine, but I think the block is from the AMT KW. The size seems to be the same. He did include some square valve covers that look good, along with other goodies. The General/Bison kits are definately 8v92s. You can see a slight size difference.

8V71 vs 8V92T

Blue one is 8v71, yellow one is 8v92T(minus manifolds and turbo)

amt/ertl KW areodyne as does the GMC general has the 92 easy to tell diff. 92 dosent have the big observation plates /ports in side of block...biggest gripe for me is the VC's are all wrong on the 92's i wanna make the correct ones. i have a 6v92 in my general and my 352, gonne try and model them off of them.

Scott

IMAG0046.jpg

To my knowledge (rumor) CFC shut down because casters were producing knock-offs of his work and selling them on ebay.

That is what I heard too. It's too bad because he had some neat stuff. It also makes me wonder how many of those CFC parts you see on ebay selling for crazy amounts are actually knockoffs. If that is really the reason he quit then it is kind of a double insult, they caused him to stop casting, then clean up because "his" parts are rare.

Edited by Aaronw

That is what I heard too. It's too bad because he had some neat stuff. It also makes me wonder how many of those CFC parts you see on ebay selling for crazy amounts are actually knockoffs. If that is really the reason he quit then it is kind of a double insult, they caused him to stop casting, then clean up because "his" parts are rare.

I never thought of it that way, where someone casts a knock-off and says it's Clint's, living off of his name in terms of the rarity, not just his talents. It's a shame, as he put out some great items.

8V71 vs 8V92T

Blue one is 8v71, yellow one is 8v92T(minus manifolds and turbo)

amt/ertl KW areodyne as does the GMC general has the 92 easy to tell diff. 92 dosent have the big observation plates /ports in side of block...biggest gripe for me is the VC's are all wrong on the 92's i wanna make the correct ones. i have a 6v92 in my general and my 352, gonne try and model them off of them.

Scott

IMAG0046.jpg

Upon seeing your pic, I looked at mine, which was pirated from an AMT K100 Aerodyne, and realized you're right about it being an 8V92T looking at it from the side. I'm making mine a Silver 92 for the Revell Snap Pete. I did since change the valve covers to the square type, but here is mine.

100_0613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...