Model Cars Magazine Forum

Industrial Photo-Op Base

Dr. Cranky

DammCranky

Posted Today, 05:49 AM

Well, it's about 41 or lower in the garage, but it's time to go in there and make more progress. Stay tuned in!

It’s a barmy 2 degrees here & falling in South West England Dr C.

Too cold to be out in the shed or garage, I’ll be modelling on the kitchen table in front of the range tonight. Toasty & warm.

Nice pictures Wheelman.

It's been a very slow process, and have tried really hard to keep it this side of all-out-gunk. I like where this is headed. I've also started to apply a few details here and there . . .

IMG_4532-vi.jpg

I applied a few washes to the cinder blocks and then lots of chipping on the walls . . . and then used the airbrush to fog it all together . . .

IMG_4533-vi.jpg

IMG_4534-vi.jpg

Something to ponder, Cranky...bird nests...swallows, or whatever...they'd get in and nest about anywhere in those metal roof beams.

Love where you are going with this...keep going, and keep the pictures coming! Wow!

As for weather...It snowed today, I used my snowblower after dinner...temps were around -10 degrees Celsius (about 12F), wind chills around -20C (around 0 F). (It hasn't even gotten cold here yet...That will feel like shirt-sleeve weather in late January!)

I love to paint in winter...no humidity!! Heat the spray can with warm water, head outside, spray, leave the model to dry in the cold garage overnight, then being it inside in the morning. Sometimes I just bring it into the basement to dry.

Thanks, chaps . . . yes there will be more weathering . . .I got to bring in more dirt in particular around the bottom edges of the walls and cinder blocks . . . I love the idea of the bird nests . . . yes, there's got to be a few of those . . .

Here's some more progress. As I said from post one, the idea behind this is to have different elements just to change things up a little here and there whenever I take pics of a new build . . . and also to just plain have fun . . .

IMG_4539-vi.jpg

I made this boiler type thing just to break up the space . . . and also to have yet another element . . .

IMG_4540-vi.jpg

IMG_4541-vi.jpg

I really like the graffiti you added but it seems a little bit too small, I used to paint graff and it would be pretty tough to spray something that small with a can, I think it would look good if you had a big spray bomb on the outside,

I wasn't trying to say any thing bad but just give you my opinion, you're work is amazing!

Thanks, everyone. Mat, thank you for the graffiti comment. The reason it looks small is that it's a graffiti sheet used for HO scale trains. I gotta work a bit around it with the airbrush and make it a bit truer to scale. This is good indication that you have a good eye for the right scale. Thanks for keeping me honest.

There's still lots more to do on this base, so stay tuned in for more . . . more. . . more . . .