Model Cars Magazine Forum

Window help needed.

DRG

I have a GTX model I would like to build but the glass is a mess, front windshield.

I believe I have heard mention of acetate being used. May not be spelled right.

Is that correct and where do you get it?

Donald,try putting an add in the wanted section for your windshield. More than likely someone will have one they would trade or donate to you. What year GTX do you have?

I believe I have heard mention of acetate being used. May not be spelled right.

Is that correct and where do you get it?

I'm not sure if your spelling is correct, according to the spell check you are. B)

Anyway, on the serious side, you are correct that acetate can be used for making windows, and I know Evergreen Plastics does make clear sheets, but I'm not sure if that is what everyone considers acetate or not. You can find Evergreen at a well stocked local hobby shop or the big chain stores like Hobbytown USA. I have some clear Evergreen that is .015 thick just for backup window making.

Another thing you might concider too is the clear blister packs almost everything comes in nowadays, I've used this in a pinch a time or two for windows. All you need to do is find a piece that is in nice condition and large enough for the window you're making. It works and is thin enough to shape around curves, I would suggest cutting it slightly larger than the original so you have some extra gluing surface.

Also, you mentioned you need this for a GTX. Would it happen to be Revell's 67 Plymouth GTX? If so, I may even be able to help you out with the windows from the kit. I have one I received in a trade that was partially built and I was planning on making a demo derby car. I'm not sure if the windows are installed or not, but if they aren't and in good shape, you're more than welcome to them. PM me if that's the kit you need them for. :)

seems to me most of the times a carefully polish with micromesh followed by a coat or two of future does the trick

Or even maybe try one of the headlight polishing kits found in auto parts stores.

Donald, in case you can't obtain the windshield you want, I did a mini tutorial on my Fotki page making "glass" out of clear stencil sheet for Johan's Chrysler Turbine Car.

You can click here to check it out. Pretty much from pics #84-93 is where I go into detail about how to setup and make your glass.

Hope this helps! B)

• 1 month later...

Where can I get acetate for making windows?

Michael, any good craft store should have it. You want to ask for "Clear Stencil Sheet"---------if you ask for acetate, they may look at you as if you've grown another head and you won't get anywhere. B)

I get mine from a place called A.C. Moore Crafts, but I would think any of them like a Michael's for instance should carry it.

HTH!