Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 olds cutlass supreme

Jared Roach

So guys, yesterday this was a b-day present I picked out, for today lol. But anyways I got a good start on it because we had a huge wind and rain storm, so power was off everywhere around me, but we still had power so I got building.

It's revells 72 olds cutlass. I choose this one over the 442 because of the up top, and it has the flat hood too. So I opened the doors and trunk, and have them hinged. I'm going to start the jambs next. I don't know if I will build it stock, or a mild custom, but will see as the build comes along.

sonoma1303.jpg

sonoma1330.jpg

sonoma1336.jpg

sonoma1345.jpg

sonoma1347-1.jpg

sonoma1361-1.jpg

sonoma1356.jpg

Thats it for now, when I get more done I'll let you people know.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Jared Roach

So guys, yesterday this was a b-day present I picked out, for today lol. But anyways I got a good start on it because we had a huge wind and rain storm, so power was off everywhere around me, but we still had power so I got building.

It's revells 72 olds cutlass. I choose this one over the 442 because of the up top, and it has the flat hood too. So I opened the doors and trunk, and have them hinged. I'm going to start the jambs next. I don't know if I will build it stock, or a mild custom, but will see as the build comes along.

looks great nick nice work on the doors and trunk hope to see it when its done :lol:

sonoma1303.jpg

sonoma1330.jpg

sonoma1336.jpg

sonoma1345.jpg

sonoma1347-1.jpg

sonoma1361-1.jpg

sonoma1356.jpg

Thats it for now, when I get more done I'll let you people know.

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Those jambs look killer! Great job! I love the custom trunk area too. As far as the underside goes most were either red oxide primer or grey (can't remember which) with some body coloured overspray on the sides as when the rockers were sprayed with colour. HTH. Lookin' great and keep up the great work! I love it. B)

Generally, by the early 1970s, in response to demand for better corrosion-resistance, most GM cars were coming through with a type of undercoat applied.

All of my late '70s GM cars I've had (four,) had some type of mastic applied. This is best simulated by applying flat black to the floors and painting the frame rails semi-gloss black.

Even if this wasn't a standard feature, it was a very common option up to that point, and almost guaranteed to be present on any car sold in the northern U.S. or Canada.

Charlie Larkin

Jared,

Nice job on the jamb building, some real skill there! The model is coming along nicely and I can't wait to see it done.

As far as the chassis goes, if you are building a mild custom, do what you want for colors. Most undersides were primer with body color overspray near the edges. Undercoating or rustproofing was usually added at the dealer or an aftermarket company (anybody remember Ziebart?) In 1980 I started working at dealership while in high school and we undercoated and rustproofed most every car we sold (extra dealer profit)unless the customer requested us not to. You could paint the wheelwells with some semi gloss or flat black to simulate undercoating if you want.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

So I got a BIG update on the olds.

Lately I haven't worked on anything, because I didn't feel like it. But today I desided to pull the olds out again, finish the body work/jambs, and spray it off in some silver! I desided to go for a different plan then orginally, so the interior is now black. I flocked the interior and trunk floors, and will start detailing the interior once I get the paint finished on the body.

This is only after a 2 coats of silver, so it needs a couple more and some clear after that. I also painted the wheels in the kit to make them stand out a bit more.

sonoma125.jpg

sonoma131.jpg

sonoma116.jpg

sonoma117.jpg

sonoma104.jpg

sonoma140.jpg

sonoma135.jpg

sonoma146.jpg

sonoma150.jpg

I still have a long ways to go, but thought I would mock it up and show you guys where I'm at with it.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys! Lots of trial and error in those jambs, but the came out looking great.

I'm thinking about adding a black stripe decal that runs along the side of the body, but I'm not sure yet. Also need to figure out what color to do the engine, might just do it in silver, don't know for sure though.