Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 'Cuda Convertible Build

ian ashton

Some of you have probably guessed, I'm a bit of a Mopar nut, and it certainly runs in the family. My dad happens to be the Managing Partner of the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, so I have a lot of exposure to cool stuff, especially Mopars. So, I knew this car was coming to our show, but being that it was only a 440 car, I didn't pay it much attention in the pre-show picture previews my dad sent me. Fast forward to the Wednesday before the show when the owner of this car (who also owns a documented real '70 Hemi Cuda convertible, white with red interior (and possible my next build)) rolled a few of his toys into the building, including this car. Obviously the Hemi car (known to have sold at Barrett a few years ago for an excess of $4,000,000) draws a crowd, but this Black on Blue beauty is just too freaking cool. Unfortunately there was an issue with the shift linkage, so Tom (the owner) and his crew had to flatbed this car in, but believe me they DROVE the white Hemi Convert, a Triple Black '70 Challenger Convert, and a W30 Olds 442 convert in (I have video to prove it!) Even more amazing was when Tom flipped me the keys to the white Hemi car to get rid of some gas - the building only allows 1/4 tank, the Cuda had 1/2. Talk about tempting as I pulled out of the building with nothing by my morals stopping me!

Anyway, back to the model car build...

This is what I want to duplicate:

DSC_0156.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Starting with a Johan 1971 Cuda body, I will use the AMT 1970 Challenger as a donor for the interior and chassis.

Body: Johan 1971 Pro Street Cuda

Chassis / Interior: AMT 1970 Challenger Convertible

Miscellaneous Details:

● Keith Marks 'Hockey Stick" decals

● ModelCarDesigns.com steel wheels, with Missing Link dog dish hub caps

Still looking for a nice set of raised white letter Small Letter Polyglass tires - I've played with painting them, and I just can't make them look good enough. Suggestions welcome!

Chopping the top off of the Johan Cuda:

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

I also wanted to use the Challenger's engine compartment, since its much nicer than the Johan parts. I cut the whole thing out as a one piece, and fit it into the Cuda body, after I removed the cowl. The windshield frame is still very rough in this picture - lots of sanding to go;

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

And test fitting with the AMT Challenger's interior and convertible boot - a near perfect fit!

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

While I realize that a Challenger does not have the same interior as a Cuda, I'm going to call this good enough. The Johan interior tub is way too basic to use. I considered modifying the Challenger door panels to be more correct for a Cuda, but I decided it would take too much time (and skill) than I want to invest. I might modify the seats though, and I'll also be using the Johan Cuda dash, as it is definitely workable.

IMG_3330.jpg

The actual car does not have a center console, so I have removed it from my kit. Still in the process of building the floor back up;

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

As you can see, the chassis is too long (makes sense, the 1:1 Challenger has a longer wheelbase than the Cuda.)

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

To remedy this I've cut a few scale inches out of the Challenger chassis. This is mostly based on artistic license, as I have no idea what the actual Cuda chassis looks like, or where the material is different from the Challenger. I just picked the easiest spot and went for it.

IMG_2552.jpg

And the shortened chassis. There is some definite work needed between the chassis and bottom of the firewall, not quite sure what's going on there in this picture:

IMG_3380.jpg

I've ordered a 71 to 70 conversion kit from Reliable Resin, but it hasn't arrived yet (still a few weeks out), so I figured I'd play around with the conversion myself. If it doesn't work out I can always use their pieces, when they arrive.

So to start I've hacked up the Challenger hood to be more Cuda-esque.

The Cuda hood on the left, Challenger on the right (the blue line denotes where I will remove material to make the Challenger hood fit the Cuda):

IMG_3359.jpg

First rough cut made, ready for some sanding to get it into place:

IMG_3360.jpg

Challenger hood lined up nicely:

IMG_3361.jpg

Next up I needed to decide how to remove the recessed sides - I decided to build up the sides and sand them flat. If this works out I'll likely start casting this hood and use a resin piece on my final product. The tape is to preserve the hood vents, as a Cuda has 2 separate banks, where the Challenger has them all the way across:

IMG_3362.jpg

Sand sand sand:

IMG_3370.jpg

A very rough estimate of what it will look like. Its sitting kind of high because of the inner fenders not being properly aligned, the hood actually fits much better than I expected:

IMG_3378.jpg

This is where things get a little scary. I'm nearly 100% certain that I'll end up using the Reliable Resin grill when it arrives, I just wanted to see how close I could get to making my own '70 Cuda grille out of the kits '71 grille. Its shaping up sorta well, but I'm still skeptical.

The start:

IMG_3366.jpg

My plan is to remove the side vertical posts, then shave down the center post and build it up into the "V" shape of the '70:

IMG_3368.jpg

All puttied up (to be honest I was hoping the Reliable Resin pieces would show up early so I could cut this out and just use theirs, haha!)

IMG_3369.jpg

And that brings us up to date. I've got a lot of sanding to do on the hood and grill, but really those are just kinda tinkering things. I'll probably focus on other aspects of the build, or work on finishing the Challenger.

• 2 weeks later...

With my Challenger convertible finished up I'm ready to go full swing into the Cuda project. I've given up on converting the grille myself, and as luck would have it my Reliable Resin pieces showed up yesterday. The accuracy with respect to the 1:1 scale is great, there was a lot of flash, sanding, and trimming required - more than I'd expect given the cost, but whatever, they are still very nice pieces. I'm not sure if I'll use their hood and SHAKER, or if I'll continue with making my own - the hood is like .125" too wide, not a big deal - I'll probably work both pieces and use whichever looks best in paint.

The Reliable parts (I started trimming the hood before I took this pic):

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

Test fit of the hood, a little narrowing to be done, not too bad though:

IMG_3483.jpg

Getting the grille to fit just right is a bit of a process, as it required the removal of a lot of material from the body. Sand, fit, sand, fit, sand, fit, lol;

IMG_3484.jpg

Same thing with the tail panel - the joys of doing conversions!

IMG_3486.jpg

Giving a test fit with the lower valence and bumper - note, this bumper is warped, I've got another that I'll use for the final build:

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

Front lower valence installed, ready for some filling and lots more sanding:

IMG_3489.jpg

(The gap looks weird, but its an optical illusion, its pretty symetrical)

Last night I ordered the Model Car Garage photo etched detail kit (actuall 1:24 scale for the RM '71 kits) from Scale Dreams, I figure its worth checking out, I can probably use the hood pins, door handles, PE emblems, and some of the other goodies. If not no big loss.

Probably would have been easier to start by backdating an easy to find ERTL (ex-MPC) 'cuda- the 1/25 "conversions" are basically just copies of the original MPC annual and has a decent interior as well

The MPC is arguably the nicest body- much better than Monogram and Revell attempts

The AMT 71 Charger is also a decent basis for an accurate E body chassis

What other AMT B Bodies? The '71 Charger was pretty much all they offered other than some MPC reissues

Chassis needs to be shortened a few scale inches and differnr rear section- but like the 1:1's the 71-72 B bodies and 70-74 E bodies, basically the same car mechanically

What other AMT B Bodies? The '71 Charger was pretty much all they offered other than some MPC reissues

Chassis needs to be shortened a few scale inches and differnr rear section- but like the 1:1's the 71-72 B bodies and 70-74 E bodies, basically the same car mechanically

The AMT 1971 Charger has a very similar chassis to the following AMT kits:

1968 Road Runner

1969 GTX

1969 GTX Convertible

1970 Cornet / Super Bee

The main difference being the gas tanks.

AMT '68-70 B Body Chassis, AMT '71 Charger Chassis, AMT '70 Challenger Chassis (already shortened for the Cuda)

IMG_3490.jpg

Note: the chassis on the left has been modified for another project I'm working on, it was just easiest to find at the moment. The trans tunnel was cut out, and sheet styrene was added to the back.

So, using the Johan body the easiest solution was to go with the AMT '70 Challenger chassis, as it has the most detail and least amount of modification required, being that they are both E-bodies, just different wheelbases. The Charger chassis is a little too wide at the back, too long at the back, and too long in the center. The gas tank situation would be a PITA.

I understand what you are saying about mechanically, for that matter the running gear for all 68-74 B and E bodies are similar.

Edited by ian ashton

Actually on the 1:1 cars the floor pan stampings are identical (with adjustments for wheelbase differences between Barracuda, Challenger, and B body 2 and 4 doors found in the rear seat foot well area)

68-70 B bodies a different animal all together

Result is that the "stamping details" from the AMT Charger are much more accurate than the fairly crude AMT Challenger- just, as you pointed out, much more work to fit to the 'cuda

If memory serves me correctly, the Dodge and Plymouth wheelbases were 1" difference............hardly noticable in scale (.040").

Killer car you are replicating, I like the Black on Black/White over Blue combo.

Edited by whale392

Just an Idea for you Ian, Go grab the snapfast 74 Cuda,And swipe the interior out of that, It's basically the same as the 70 Cuda interior, I personally think it would look better in the car, I have a similar project in the works, But mine will be the 71 Barracuda , I'll cut the hood from the kit I mentioned above,Use the interior ,And use the same chassis you used, This is looking great so far.

This I know - I just don't care much for 1/24, I wanted to do 1/25. Also, I'm not a bog fan of the older RM 1/24 e body tools, kinda cheesy. Thanks for the advice though!

Those kits are the most out of scale kits I have ever seen, I wouldn't waste A dime on any of the RM Cudas, They look like those old Palmer kits to me,Very Crude Looking.

Just an Idea for you Ian, Go grab the snapfast 74 Cuda,And swipe the interior out of that, It's basically the same as the 70 Cuda interior, I personally think it would look better in the car, I have a similar project in the works, But mine will be the 71 Barracuda , I'll cut the hood from the kit I mentioned above,Use the interior ,And use the same chassis you used, This is looking great so far.

Yes! I had planned to do this, even made a thread in the Wanted section, lol. I'll probably swing by LHS and see if they have one in the next few days.

My Scale Dreams order arrived today (talk about fast, I just ordered it Wednesday at like midnight!) The Model Car Garage detail kit looks like it will work perfectly, despite the difference in scale. I can't wait to dive into some of the PE details, they make such nice stuff! I also ordered a package of Detail Master muffler clamps and I they are KILLER! I was previously using MAS photo etched muffler clamps but they were a nightmare to work with, as they didn't have the 'indent' where the fold is needed, making them very hard to work with. The Detail Master units have that, and are also a little less bulky, AND include hangers and bolts - score! Anyone want to buy some MAS muffler clamps, I have 3 different sizes, and will not use them, lol...

IMG_3491.jpg

Ian, I rememer that car well and probably took a photo of it also. You have a lot of work in that build and I'm sure it's going to look great! Let me know off board when the magazine coverage of that show starts showing up on the newstands. Thanks.

Will do! We also post scanned copies of show coverage online here: http://www.mcacn.com/Media.htm

This is really looking good Ian, the photo's of the 1:1 are sweet also... Would like to see pics of the 1:1 in the daylight if you have any, the Hockey sticks are barely visible and I'd just like to see how they look black on black... :lol: