Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maxum GTP

Brendan

The kit is from Quick Skins. It's based off the Ford Probe GTP. Then Jack Roush got hold of the car and put in a V8 instead of the Probe's Turbocharged I-4. Car really wasn't known for much of anything except that it was a very different looking car from the other prototypes. The kit is very nicely cast; hardly needed any cleanup. Should be a rather straight forward build. Quick Skins is known for good quality kits and I'm glad to see them back in business. This is his first new kit in several years. I hope you enjoy following my build.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Rims painted with TS-12 and Alclad Polished Aluminum (airbrushed).

004-1.jpg

Edited by Brendan

That is a very clean looking casting. It should look cool when finished. Do they have a website or anywhere I can check on their latest listings ?

That is all they have at present. He is only making roughly 60 of these due to the limited run decals. He may have sold out already, but you can try www.mshobbies.com. That's where I got mine. He knows Joe, and if there are more, he can get you one. Tell Mark I sent you.

Nic

As far as I know, Joe only did about 60 to 100 of these kits. As of now, this is his only kit on the market. A couple of years back at the NNL West he had the master for an M3 GTR (late '90's to early 2000 model year). Hopefully he'll be having that kit out. I'm good friends with Mark at MS Hobbies. That's usually where I get my Quick Skins stuff from. I would try contacting him. He still has it listed on his web site.

http://www.mshobbies.com/servlet/Categories?category=QUIKSKINS+RESIN

The kit comes in a plain white box. As for the paint scheme it's overall black with a silver bib in between the wheel wells and the nose. There's really not a whole lot of pictures of this car since it only ran for one year and went through many variations; usually dealing with the rear wing and the front arrow package. I think the best it did was a second. In all the other races, it didn't show well.

Thanks guys, i'll check out that site. I usually get my resins from StradaSports but he doesn't have any listings for any QuickSkins product at the moment. I do have the Cadillac LMP900 kit from them finished and it is in the Strada gallery along with some of my and my sons resins. I did also get the Corvette GTP kit and it is awesome. Really like the QuickSkins kits and would like to get more. You might could find video of your Probe on youtube as i've watched lots of IMSA vids on there from around those years. Good luck with this one and i'll be watching.

Danny :)

Joe was at NNL Sacramento with Mark of MS Hobbies, he had a 3rd gen Camaro body that he's working on to be used with the Mustang Trans Am and IMSA GTO kits. Im planning on getting one.

I don't believe that kit is Quick Skins. It's probably for BHP Enterprises. Joe does all of the masters for him.

Got some work done on the small internal parts. Got the body and chassis primed. Had a small issue with the rear exhaust. I chipped off a piece so I decided to replace both exhaust tips with aluminum tubing that I tapered on the inside.

005-1.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Copy1of001.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by Brendan

This is what I've done in the last couple of days. Chassis and body are both painted and awaiting the decals.

Body painted with Duplicolor Gloss Black. Then painted Tamiya's TS-30 and then masked off the silver and repainted with black. All paints were airbrushed. I painted the black first to make the silver a little brighter. It's awaitinga clearcoat to help the decals go on easier.

006-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Chassis painted with Tamiya's TS-29 and TS-30. Exhaust tips were painted with a mix of Tamiya's acrylics and then brushed on a semi-gloss lacquer. Waiting to put in interior parts and wiring. There's not a whole lot to the interior of this car just like the real car.

002-3.jpg

Copy1of005.jpg

Copy1of003.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Interior done. Added some wires to electric boxes. Like I said before, there's not a whole lot to the interior. I attached tires to the chassis as well.

001-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

003.jpg

Copy1of006.jpg

008-1.jpg

Started adding decals. This is a two-step process as the white is a separate color from the colored decals. The decals are the biggest disappointment on this kit. Also had to supply several of my own decals that I had since they were not on the decal sheet.

006.jpg

007-1.jpg

Decals finished and awaiting clear coat. These decals definitely need a clear coat over the top.

009-1.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Unfortunate about the decals, but it looks really good. Nice job.

From my kit it looks like he did a run with a laser printer. These aren't microscale or cartograf. Of course that is reflected in the kit price of only $100. I do hope though that his next kits will have nicely printed full decal sheets. I do like this kit and he did the right thing for him with the decals as I doubt this would have sold a couple of hundred due to the obscurity of the car itself. It's more for niche modelers.

Nic

He does mention in the instructions that you do need to get some other decals to make it a correct car. This kit was initially meant for his own personal collection and was never intended to be sold. But several other people and some friends of mine talked him into releasing it. As for the price, that's about his usual price for most of his kits.

Kind of a heads' up for anyone applying these decals. Cut as closely as you can but leave a little bit of a border. I did run into a small problem with the colored decals where if I cut really close, they would start to tear in the water. But if I left a small border, I didn't have that problem.

I just got my copy of MCM and noticed that my friend, Bill, had his kit in the resin section. I'm hoping mine looks just as good. Although I will be adding some other small pieces from my parts box that he didn't add.

Brenden, correct me if I am wrong, but this appears to be from Watkins Glen or Mid-Ohio? I plan on converting mine to the '87 Daytona version. Hopefully I can start when I get moved into my new townhouse.

Nic

From the photos I have, it's a cross between 3 or 4 different races. He left a lot of stuff open for you to modify yourself, especially on the front of the car. Literally this car was changing from race to race. And he made kind of a generic version of the car. For the Daytona car make sure you put on the roof camera. I'm fitting on a camera from my parts box on the one I'm doing. Plus you're also going to have to find some of the side decals that are missing for the Daytona version. I only have one picture of the Daytona car and it's from the front so I can't tell you too much about it.

Well the car is pretty much done. Next time it will be in the Underglass Section.

Windows are in. Very nice fitting; easy to cut out. Held in place with a little bit of epoxy.

001.jpg

On the chassis, you'll notice the red arrow. I had to notch the chassis to help fit the brake intakes. You'll also notice how the wing is attached. You might need to do little adjustments to get the wing to set right. On mine I sanded the holes a little bigger so it gave me some play for adjustments.

005.jpg

Thanks for following along. I would highly recommend this kit.

Edited by Brendan

i cant see those photos! is it something to do with photobucket? can everyone else see them? all i see is a box with "image moved or deleted" or something like that in it. kinda strange.

I fixed the problem. Photo Bucket decided they wanted to delete a bunch of my photos. I was able to get the issue resolved.

• 3 years later...